Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Scivision MAF kit Installation and initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scivision MAF kit Installation and initial impressions

Today some of the Norcal boys, Efren, Jim and I, installed one of the Scivision PROmax MAF kits on Efren's (CAS951) red '88 Turbo S.

The kit seems to be of very high quality and the install was very straightforward, truly plug-and-play. The look is very stealth. Here are some photos, including Jim's very nice white 951. Unfortunately the battery in my camera died toward the end of the installation and I was unable to take pics of everything completely buttoned up....but you get the picture.

I am sure CAS951 will post his driving impressions.
Attached Images      
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Looks like stock, does he have any mods on the car?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:39 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

im very interested to see if its any different from stock, performance wise. and if drivability is the same or better or worse
Old 02-18-2006, 11:43 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Ben,

Thanks for posting this for me. The wife is out of town and took the digital camera. Most of all thanks for stopping by to help out.

As for the kit. All I can say is "Impressive", easy to install and "Truly" plug and play. It took me less than 1 hour to install. The most time consuming part was probably painting the adapter plate as I wanted it black. Oh Ben painted it for me. This Pro Max Scivision kit is the one I've been looking for. If you search some of my post in the past I've always been asking for something like this. It looks completely stock and it uses a Bosch unit for the MAF so there should be no question from any visual inspection in California. For those that been waiting for a stock looking MAF this is it at least for me as I'm not looking for "big " power just something better than tock AFM. I've owned a 951 since 1993 and have never driven a 951 with a MAF before. After buttoning things up the car started right up. After letting it idle for a few minutes I could already tell it was running much smoother. I revved it up a little and you can feel the smooth rev immediately as previously with the stock AFM you would feel a slight hesitation.

Driving impression: As soon as I took off slowly in 1st you can just feel that there is almost no lag. Shift to second and again hardly feel any lag at all. Previously I had my boost set to 15 psi. When driving with this MAF I had to turn the boost down several times as I was hitting 15 psi in 2nd gear. My car has never done that with the stock AFM. Throttle response was immediate after each shift and you can feel boost build up much sooner and quicker.

The Vendor: Promax Motorsport http://www.promaxmotorsport.com/. Andrew was straght up with me from the very start. When I was ready to order he immediately told me that his stock was sold out and would be 2 week before he get hi supply. As soon as he received his supply he immediately notified me. He shipped the items on Tuesday from the UK and would have been at my door on Friday if I was at home to receive it. But it was redelivered the next day. That's prety good considering it came from the UK all the way to CA. For those interested he is selling the kit for $849.00 includes shipping. Might be pricy for some but it's an alternative to the Cone type filter most common in the market today. The reason I did not purchase a MAF kit in the past is most of these will not pass the visual inspection in CA Smog test. I have a Smog test due to register my car. I'll let you know the results in about 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:26 AM
H2Opumpr
Advanced

cas

I am really interested in your further analysis of this product.

We live in Cali and smog is a big deal.. so stealth look is definately an issue, but most importantly drivability is numero uno... Ultimately..Its the difference of whether I continue to own this car for the six years I've had it. Throttle respone is the worst of any car I've owned.... and that big barndoor and K26/8 isnt helping. I cant wait to hear the feedback on long term drivability and boost response. Hopefully a product that really acknowledges drivability and not always max power.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

H20,

Driveability is great. Throttle response is instant lika a NA car. Boost comes on quicker. Like i said I've never driven a 951 with a MAF before and the difference here is great. I haven't taken it to a freeway run yet as it started to rain when we were testing but from accelarating from 1st all the way to third you can feel the difference.; Response and boost is felt instantly. The turbo lag is hardly noticeable.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback as I'm about to pull the trigger on an MAF and I too will need to it be stealth. Its great to hear it performs as advertised. Rustoleum high heat paint or engine paint for the adapter plate?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:36 AM
njim3
Instructor

I took couple of rides on Cas's car before and after installation and I definately felt the difference.
It 'll be my turn in the next few weeks.

Jim
Old 02-19-2006, 02:16 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I can echo the throttle response and boost characteristics. I recently installed a Vitesse MAF and throttle response is vastly improved. I also had to turn my boost controller down to maintain my old boost level.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is his chip map set up for a 2.5-bar (stock) or require a 3.0-bar FPR? How high (boost-wise) does the fuel map go? 15 psi? 18 psi?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:54 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Does it come with a chip? How do you fool the computer to think it is an AFM?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:13 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Job guys!

We're watching you.... :^)
Old 02-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I should be installing my maf in the stock location (for now) but with a cone filter. I can post my results after i tune with the smt5 if you guys want. I was happy to see this thread. Its a bit of encouragment since I'll be doing almost the same job soon.
Eyal
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
soon.
Soon? Ha. We'll see when I get around to shipping it....

...j/k.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Soon? Ha. We'll see when I get around to shipping it....

...j/k.
He's a cute little puppy at heart.

Quick Reply: Scivision MAF kit Installation and initial impressions