Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Tony951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After installing the Griffin on my car (88 951) I didn't notice any changes in temp response or steady state temp - this is going by my stock temp gage needle. I don't think this radiator made much difference, if any. Also, take a look at the cooling fins on the Griffin and compare to the stock radiator - notice how the cooling fin pitch is much finer on the stock radiator. It seems to me that the OEM radiator has more cooling surface. I think the only advantage of the Griffin is the (presumed) reliability of the all-Aluminum construction...

Also - I had to fabricate my own drain plug on the lathe (used PEEK) as well as cut my own sealing gaskets for both the thermal sensor and drain plug. I sent Griffin 'sales' an email with the following points:

1. How we are expected to seal on a weld bead (not flat) - although I am hearing that some later radiators have ground welds near the thermal sensor (a band aid).
2. Why it took 4-5 months to get our radiators
3. Why the radiators didn't come with drain plugs
4. Why the radiators are warped - we're talking a quarter inch or more - if you bolt a warped part in place it will stress the part over time as well as stress whatever it is bolted to (the fan housing in our case)

I've gotten no response - I sent the email a month ago. When a vendor f##ks up this badly, someone had better let them know it! We may be seeing long term issues as a result of the poor execution and attention to detail on these radiators.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Tony951's reply is exactly why I sent my radiator back to Griffin for a refund. I waited three weeks for a credit, then finally contacted my CC company and disputed the original charge, which was immediately reversed. A couple of weeks later I got a call from Griffin wanting to know what CC number they should use to issue my refund. Ha, I told them I had already disputed the charge several weeks ago. The woman said, "Well, you can't expect us to handle this all in one day." To which I replied, "It's been well over a month since the radiator was returned." What a bunch of losers.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
nize
Banned

and people wonder why 'made in usa' is not a selling point any more...
Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realise this thread is a little old ,, but i just wondered how + if any of you folk that were in the gb + had problems ever got them resolved...
Also those that fitted the rads , are they performing as expected .???
Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

any avail still?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 PM
BlacknRedGT
Pro

ohh wait nevermind lol
Old 01-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Moook
Racer

Are we all on holiday.??

Anybody with any "experiences".???
Old 01-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Guns951
Race Car

WOW.....these guys suck!
Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

seems like these were a bit disapointing. read the last few pages.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and it when in without a hitch. I did have to file down the weld around the fan temp switch and come up with a few odds and ends for mounting hardware BUT the radiator itself is a quality piece. I haven't been able to drive the car much with all the snow we've gotten in Colorado but based on my brief experience it seems to hold water (and run a little cooler as well).

As I've noted before, Griffin certainly fell on their sword from the customer service perspective but the radiator itself is good stuff. If you can find one from a fellow lister I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

From a functionality standpoint the Griffin was great. In 115 degree temps with the AC on I noticed a significant temperature drop. As far as the quality goes, to be perfectly honest...... the "imperfections" weren't that bad. It took me 5 minutes with a file to clean up the weld at the temp switch and another 2 to open up a few of the fan shroud holes. A $2 trip to Autozone resolved the drain plug issue (which I like better then just having a plug). It actually installed easier then stock and once installed you can't see any of the welds. If you're looking for a artistic masterpiece, pass on the Griffin. If you're looking for something that installs easy and works great then the Griffin is a good choice. I bought 4 of them and have installed two.

If it weren't for the slow build, shipping, and poor communication within Griffin.......I'd buy another. Ron Davis is local to me so I may give them a shot on my next one.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Griffin experience

My radiator installed with no problem. Everything fit properly. I did have to buy a drain plug at NAPA but that wasn't a big issue and yes delivery was slow (they were 4 weeks late). I haven't fired the car up yet but if it doesn't leak then I have no issues.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 PM
reno928s
Pro

Since my last post I've bleed the radiator really well and noticed the car running much cooler. Other than the small issues like Jeremey from above said, overall it wasn't that bad. But I would never order another rad from them becausethe customer service just plain sucks.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
reno928s
Pro

Since my last post I've bleed the radiator really well and noticed the car running much cooler. Other than the small issues like Jeremey from above said, overall it wasn't that bad. But I would never order another rad from them because the customer service just plain sucks.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

how can the car run cooler???? the thermostat controls the engines tempreture, not the radiator.

the radiator just has to take tempreture from the coolant once the thermostat is open. so a silghtly lager radiator will cool that coolant slightly faster. although if the radiator is a little too big you will not get much flow through there.

so really the car should run at normal operating tempreture, not cooler.

Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!