Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Promax Motorsports SciVision MAF kit Installation and Impressions part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 AM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Promax Motorsports SciVision MAF kit Installation and Impressions part 2

Installed the ProMax Motorsports SciVision MAF kit today on my '87 car. I decided after Efren (CAS951) installed his that I would get one as well.

Wow! I always thought that the sluggish throttle response of the stock 951 made for a less than ideal daily driver. This kit really smooths out the response and brings the boost on sooner, so much so that I wouldn't mind driving the car daily if it weren't for such high gas prices.

Having only previously babied Efren's car (88 Turbo S) for my testing last month I didn't really get a chance to open it up. This evening I was able to take my car out for about 30 minutes on the freeway and here are my initial impressions.

First off the kit included the newly redesigned signal processing computer. This is ultra-stealth, but not really much easier to conceal compared to the old (remote) design, just different.

The Idle is very smooth with no fluctuation. My vacuum actually went from between 16 and 17 inches to a rock solid 18 inches (VDO Gauge)

At first I adjusted my boost controller (LBE) down in anticipation of overboost. I had to stop and readjust it back up to where it was previously. Efren had to adjust his black **** controller down as he was hitting much higher boost. I am getting a solid 15 pounds, like I was before the install.

Throttle response, as has been stated, is much improved. Boost comes on sooner in the rev range and low speed driving feels nice and crisp like an N/A car. The difference is very similar to when I rejetted my motorcycle's carbs and put on a full exhaust. I did notice that there is a slight bit of stumbling on decel coming from a full throttle load. Not sure why this is.

The turbo is louder, although not nearly as loud as an open air filter equipped MAF. One thing I also noticed is that when it is quiet I can hear the CBV open and the whoosh of air is apparent when shifting from high boost. It is very subtle.

Overall I am very pleased with the kit. It feels like a different car. As advertised there was no mess, no fuss just plug it in and go. There was one issue with my order that Andrew addressed very quickly and on a weekend nonetheless. It is nice to see a vendor provide such great customer service.
Attached Images         
Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Nice.. thanks for the pix. That does look very stealth. Obviously, anyone that knows what to look for will know the AFM is gone, but it looks good. I've always like the look of the stock airbox in place.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Thanks for the writeup.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Look at that engine compartment. You can eat off it. That is "CLEAN"....
Old 04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oi-punx,

When did you get your kit? I ordered mine over a month ago and have still not received it.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi Andre,

Your kit landed in Canada on Apr 12th - should be with you any day now. Unfortunately, the postal services take longer in Canada than the USA (from the UK). Sorry it's taken so long. All track info has been sent to you private e-mail address.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
Hi Andre,

Your kit landed in Canada on Apr 12th - should be with you any day now. Unfortunately, the postal services take longer in Canada than the USA (from the UK). Sorry it's taken so long. All track info has been sent to you private e-mail address.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Thanks!
Can't wait to install the kit and try it out on the road!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
2+2
Pro

This looks like a really cool product. I have been out of the scene for about a year (new born in the house). Really simple and enhances drivability.

So where is the computer/processor? Is it integrated into the harness?
If I understand correctly from reading the other linked post, this MAF kit doesnt give yoou any more power, but brings boost sooner and smoother...
What I dont quite understand is how it can be used with chips that increase boost? I thought most chips disabled some of the feedback boost controls of the standard ECU so you have to use a manual boost controller....So even with this MAF kit, you would still need a chip kit and MBC to increase boost, bypassing the boost controls of the ECU, correct?

I bought a Guru racing kit and wastegate about 2 years ago that I never put on and am wondering if this kit can be seamlessly integrated together with this MAF or if it would be better to do something else? Comments?

Also, how much is this thing anyways? THe website only has it in pounds.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by 2+2
This looks like a really cool product. I have been out of the scene for about a year (new born in the house). Really simple and enhances drivability.

So where is the computer/processor? Is it integrated into the harness?
If I understand correctly from reading the other linked post, this MAF kit doesnt give yoou any more power, but brings boost sooner and smoother...
What I dont quite understand is how it can be used with chips that increase boost? I thought most chips disabled some of the feedback boost controls of the standard ECU so you have to use a manual boost controller....So even with this MAF kit, you would still need a chip kit and MBC to increase boost, bypassing the boost controls of the ECU, correct?

I bought a Guru racing kit and wastegate about 2 years ago that I never put on and am wondering if this kit can be seamlessly integrated together with this MAF or if it would be better to do something else? Comments?

Also, how much is this thing anyways? THe website only has it in pounds.
Hi,

The kit is $999.95 USD inc. shipping to USA/Canada. It can be had with 1.0 bar MAF chips as an option or will work with any set-up where there is an AFM. The SciVision MAF chips use the factory controls for knock retard and over boost protect to give you a safe 300bhp (on an otherwise standard car). Price is $1179.95 with chips (DME and KLR chipset). If you use the chips, it is recommended that 2 x 1mm wastegate shims are fitted and that you use a 3.0 bar FPR.

The SciVision MAF and chip set are a safe way of achieving high power with good drivability - juts as Porsche would have intended (i.e. with their electronic safety aids present and correct).

Any queries, please get in touch via andrew@promaxmotorsport.com Have a good day!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi All,

The new SciVision 1.2 bar chips and 1.5 bar MAP sensor for the KLR have been developed. SciVision are currently looking at ways to secure their intenlectual copyright on the software. Once this has been addressed, this will then be released. Sorry no date at the moment.

This option will be available with the MAF kit - prices will be announced when a release date has been determined. Thanks for your patience (to those that are waiting).

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-20-2006, 05:57 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

With the promax maf chips, would it be possible to upgrade the turbo and injectors later and not need a retune or anything? How does that work...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

I don't think that is possible with any MAF kit and chips, since every kit out there requires you specify what turbo and what size injectors are being used. A piggyback or custom chips would come into play here.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
ross255
Instructor

Ivai - Danny951

The Vitesse Maf kit can compensate for different turbos as maf calculates how much air and adds fuel accordingly, you only need to state what injectors you will use.

That was the main reason I bought one.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:09 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
The MAF is customized to the application. There are many variables involved (engine size, injectors size & brand, turbo,...)

There is no such a thing as one chip fits all....it's best to know the turbo in advance as we can get you even closer to the desired target. Some turbos spoolup faster than others, so the AFR will be different in the area prior to boost.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=69
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=71

I understand why injectors would need to be programmed, so the software knows what they are driving for fuel, but I think the turbo matters too, like John mentioned, turbos spool differently. By that token, I think you have to be careful what boost you run. If what you said were true, you could crank up the boost from 15psi to 20psi to 24psi all day long and get gobs of power and the software would be able to keep your air/fuel ration safe... but we both know that isn't how it works. Who here runs 24psi all day long, and at a track? I don't think so. If I'm wrong, let me know. But from what I understand, John recommends running 15-17psi on a normal basis with his MAF. I know I read that in one of his comments, but I'll look later if needed.

Last edited by danny951; 04-20-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by danny951
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=69
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=71

I understand why injectors would need to be programmed, so the software knows what they are driving for fuel, but I think the turbo matters too, like John mentioned, turbos spool differently. By that token, I think you have to be careful what boost you run. If what you said were true, you could crank up the boost from 15psi to 20psi to 24psi all day long and get gobs of power and the software would be able to keep your air/fuel ration safe... but we both know that isn't how it works. Who here runs 24psi all day long, and at a track? I don't think so. If I'm wrong, let me know. But from what I understand, John recommends running 15-17psi on a normal basis with his MAF. I know I read that in one of his comments, but I'll look later if needed.
Dannny951, This is exactly how a well written software (VR) and a well designed MAF (VR again) works. Run 15psi, 18psi or 24psi. As long as your fuel system supports the HP, and as long as you use the proper octane the car will run. I track my car, and I run 24psi often (assuming traction is not a problem).

I recommend running 15psi on PUMP GAS. Some run more and are fine... With race gas, run as much boost as you can handle.

I have seen many other kits that max out because the MAF sensor is not the correct size, so yes you will be limited to how much boost and the size of turbo you can use. MAF with external controllers are a no-no, as you are still limited to the AFM chip in use. The AFM sensor is very limited, and the chip for it is the same. VR provides a TRUE MAF software, and we do not rely on a signal massager to make the MAF look like AFM to the DME.

Now, would you explain, why you don't think the AFR will be fine? Again, we are talking about the VR MAF kit..

Quick Reply: Promax Motorsports SciVision MAF kit Installation and Impressions part 2