Anyone on this board an AV expert ? sorry 4- OT

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Anyone on this board an AV expert ? sorry 4- OT

Anyone here that knows Denon Systems ?
I have been killing myself on making a decision between the Denon 2807 or the 3806
Somebody please make my mind up for me
I know the 3806 is a better amp but it has a few less features than the 2807
Two people told me that the 2807 does video scaling ( I know both up-convert less state of the video signals )ie S to HDMI but I see nothing on the web site that states this for the 2807.. The 4306 does state it but I wasn't llooking to go that
strong.. Hell my speakers can't even handle the 2807
Do I really care ?( I was told that the Plasma TV does this anyway)
for the 2807
There is an I pod hook up that is much more robust on the 2807
and it is suppose to have an easier set up than the 3806
Help
Thx
Ed
Old 05-04-2006, 08:08 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say that it upconverts s to HDMI, I assume you mean S-video. How would your TV do this. S video and HDMI are the medium that carries the signal. If it gets to your TV through S-video then it's S video. Unless I'm mistaken about this particular processor/amp, when it upconverts from s video to HDMI it means that it will take a source that is coming in over S-video and output it to your TV over HDMI. The signal will still be of basically the same quality getting to your TV as it was coming from the S-video source. The purpose of having it do the signal conversion from S-video or component or composite, etc. to HDMI is so that you don't have to run all the different types of cables out to the TV. But if you hook up your DVD player with composite cable to the Denon and then HDMI out to the TV, it is still only going to be composite quality.

P.S. I personally like the Yamaha systems better than the Denon's
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't use up-converting as a basis for choosing one over the other, in fact upconverting is just plain not cool in my opinion, I really think it degrades the video quality; also I don't know how many video sources you have, but I would run my video connections from the source to the output (ie straight from the dvd player to the TV). I'm guessing you have probably 2 video sources, dvd and TV, you can use the component video from your dvd player straight to your TV(or projector) and hdmi from your hdtv reciever to your TV(or projector), that way there is no loss in video quality by having it routed through the receiver.

The amp section really isn't much of a cause for concern either, 110w vs 120w from the same manufacturer is unlikely to be noticable.

The reasons that I would choose the 3806 over the 2807 are the 3806 has 4 independent power supplies, discrete surround circuitry, and a better DAC and sampling rate

That all being said I can think of two pairs of seperates (preamp/amp combos) that would be in the same price range and deliver better performance in all categories...

if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

upconverting is an attempt by the software to convert a signal from s-video or other lower end singal like 480i or 480p to a better resolution like 720p or 1080i; basically takes the individual pixels from the lower resolution and tries to break them up and fill in spots to create a picture with more pixels (ie higher resolution) - some people like it, I personally don't because the picture is not as sharp when upconverted
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexCars
When you say that it upconverts s to HDMI, I assume you mean S-video. How would your TV do this. S video and HDMI are the medium that carries the signal. If it gets to your TV through S-video then it's S video. Unless I'm mistaken about this particular processor/amp, when it upconverts from s video to HDMI it means that it will take a source that is coming in over S-video and output it to your TV over HDMI. The signal will still be of basically the same quality getting to your TV as it was coming from the S-video source. The purpose of having it do the signal conversion from S-video or component or composite, etc. to HDMI is so that you don't have to run all the different types of cables out to the TV. But if you hook up your DVD player with composite cable to the Denon and then HDMI out to the TV, it is still only going to be composite quality.

P.S. I personally like the Yamaha systems better than the Denon's
I am kinda hooked on Denon I have have my first unit 3020 for 15 yrs and loved it

Unless I'm mistaken about this particular processor/amp, when it upconverts from s video to HDMI it means that it will take a source that is coming in over S-video and output it to your TV over HDMI

Thats what I thought but this guy at the AV store is telling me it has a scaler i.e. a line enhancer .... He told me the unit get pretty hot because of it ??
My brother has a system to die for...
He told me his line duplicater cost him 8K back in 95 .. His system is crazy.
I just was surprised that the web site says nothing but that it up converts ..
I though up convert was what you said
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
I wouldn't use up-converting as a basis for choosing one over the other, in fact upconverting is just plain not cool in my opinion, I really think it degrades the video quality; also I don't know how many video sources you have, but I would run my video connections from the source to the output (ie straight from the dvd player to the TV). I'm guessing you have probably 2 video sources, dvd and TV, you can use the component video from your dvd player straight to your TV(or projector) and hdmi from your hdtv reciever to your TV(or projector), that way there is no loss in video quality by having it routed through the receiver.
I agree and understand that direct is a less loss scenairo. One thing I really like about the denon is its switching ability. I do have a DVD ( I was going to go with the 2910 vs the 1920 ? )
The amp section really isn't much of a cause for concern either, 110w vs 120w from the same manufacturer is unlikely to be noticable.
The reasons that I would choose the 3806 over the 2807 are the 3806 has 4 independent power supplies, discrete surround circuitry, and a better DAC and sampling rate.
[QUOTE=aeronautica86]
Funny thing is the web site implies that the 2807 has independent power supplies
It has a check mark where as the 3806 states 4 ind. power supp. Agreed that
DSC, DAC and Higher sampling rate is better. I just didn't know if they were worth the tradeoffs that he 2807 offer easier usability and a few other cool options incl. the set up function, I pod hook up and read out. And finally better upscaling which you kinda took a dump on ( and I am sure you are right )
Another of the many attributes that has made me lean towards the 3806 was the weight differential between the two ( at the exact same dimensions) its 10 lbs heavier !!

That all being said I can think of two pairs of seperates (preamp/amp combos) that would be in the same price range and deliver better performance in all categories...
Thanks so much for your advice. I really want to go with the Denon because I really want to use this system more for movies than audio. The stupidest thing about all this is that after reading the Cnet review on this 2807, I waited 3 months for it to come out only to reconsider the 3806 ... Feelin' kinda dumb
if you have any specific questions feel free to pm me
Thanks I very well might
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Okay, so it upconverts to higher res. Yeah, those systems used to be crazy expensive, now lots of components have the feature built in. I agree with aeronautica on convertors, most are pretty crappy especially when going from 480i up to 720p or 1080i. Most can do 480i to 480p pretty well nowdays. (ie. progressive scan DVD) I bought one of the DVD players that upconverts to 720p or 1080i and it isn't good. It also makes the picture progressively smaller the higher up you convert it to, so you end up with very large black bars top and bottom. I don't worry about trying to make direct runs from components to the TV. First, I have way too many components for the inputs into my TV. Second, I have a projector mounted in my ceiling and trying to run cables direct to each component would have been very difficult. As it was I had to order special high grade DVI cable to reach the 50' up the walls across and back down to the TV. Spec for consumer grade cable is 30' if I recall. And Third, because with a high grade unit, I haven't been able to see a difference in quality. Not saying it isn't there, just that I can't see it.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Judging by the information on Denon's UK site at http://www.denon.co.uk they both do signal conversion from analogue inputs to HDMI. It seems there's not *that* much of a difference between the two units, the 2807 is apparently a newer design ... I would go with that

With the DVD player, as far as I know all the latest Denons have very similar video processing circuits, the differences are in the audio side; if you mostly watch movies and don't care so much about DVD-audio, then the 1920 is a great player.

I've got the "entry level" Denon setup right here, 1706 receiver and 1920 dvd-player and I'm loving both of them. Replaced my previous older generation Denon setup when the amplifier gave up (I'm suspecting a power spike - I live in an old apartment with maybe not so great wiring around the house)
Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Okay, so it upconverts to higher res. Yeah, those systems used to be crazy expensive, now lots of components have the feature built in. I agree with aeronautica on convertors, most are pretty crappy especially when going from 480i up to 720p or 1080i. Most can do 480i to 480p pretty well nowdays. (ie. progressive scan DVD)
The 2807 has an actual line doubler ( according to the Stereo store ) and the 3806 doesnt ....
The plasma display that I have ( Pano Model TH-50PM50U ) These fixed pixel displays have their own up-conversion from what I have just read ??
I bought one of the DVD players that upconverts to 720p or 1080i and it isn't good. It also makes the picture progressively smaller the higher up you convert it to, so you end up with very large black bars top and bottom.
I am debating the 1910 or the 2910 I do like listening to CD I just don't do it that much because I have an 8 yr old son They were both rated very high
I don't worry about trying to make direct runs from components to the TV. First, I have way too many components for the inputs into my TV. Second, I have a projector mounted in my ceiling and trying to run cables direct to each component would have been very difficult. As it was I had to order special high grade DVI cable to reach the 50' up the walls across and back down to the TV. Spec for consumer grade cable is 30' if I recall. And Third, because with a high grade unit, I haven't been able to see a difference in quality. Not saying it isn't there, just that I can't see it.
My brother had to replace his cable that runs from his Ronco to the processors.
Something nawed on the cable.The cable was over 5k
Thanks
Regards
Ed
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Ronco? Don't they make the Pocket Fisherman and bald spot paint. I think you mean Runco.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

as for the 1920 vs the 2910, if its just for movies, you could go with the 1920 and not be missing much, the 2910 does have a better video DAC but that probably won't be very noticable for movies, as the DAC in the 1920 is nice as well. If you are wanting to listen to the CDs the 2910 has a slightly newer version of the burr-brown 24/192 DAC than the 1920 does, but since they are both 24/192 the 1920 will probably do just as well as the 2910 for 2-channel audio - in this instance I guess its about whether or not the slight increase in performance of the 2910 is worth the cost over the 1920
Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Ronco? Don't they make the Pocket Fisherman and bald spot paint. I think you mean Runco.
Hey it was late when I typed that
Gimme a break
Funnny though
Regards
Ed
Old 05-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sami951
Judging by the information on Denon's UK site at http://www.denon.co.uk they both do signal conversion from analogue inputs to HDMI. It seems there's not *that* much of a difference between the two units, the 2807 is apparently a newer design ... I would go with that

With the DVD player, as far as I know all the latest Denons have very similar video processing circuits, the differences are in the audio side; if you mostly watch movies and don't care so much about DVD-audio, then the 1920 is a great player.

I've got the "entry level" Denon setup right here, 1706 receiver and 1920 dvd-player and I'm loving both of them. Replaced my previous older generation Denon setup when the amplifier gave up (I'm suspecting a power spike - I live in an old apartment with maybe not so great wiring around the house)
Hey Sami
Mine( 3020) went south after I hooked the b channel to my outdoor bose speakers
They were 4 omh... Not a wise move
I was going to go with the 2910 because of the better circurty. I do like audio and I was told the unit is built solid ( metal as opposed to plastic ) but it costs 2x as much ... ?? I got a price of 600 vs 300 for the 1920
I was originally going to go with the 1920 ....
Thanks for you input
Kind regards
Ed
Old 05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

as for the 1920 vs the 2910, if its just for movies, you could go with the 1920 and not be missing much, the 2910 does have a better video DAC but that probably won't be very noticable for movies, as the DAC in the 1920 is nice as well. If you are wanting to listen to the CDs the 2910 has a slightly newer version of the burr-brown 24/192 DAC than the 1920 does, but since they are both 24/192 the 1920 will probably do just as well as the 2910 for 2-channel audio - in this instance I guess its about whether or not the slight increase in performance of the 2910 is worth the cost over the 1920
I hear ya
I was all set to go with the 1920 then the guy told me that the unit is better made and the the D link would be fuctional Therewere some other hings but I am fried and cant remember
Thanks again for you help
I think I am going to order this stuff today I got a great place I found on line...
Hippos they are a authorized dealer
regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Anyone on this board an AV expert ? sorry 4- OT