Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

intersting find with stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 AM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intersting find with stock airbox

so I have a steth setup on the intake..A VR MAF hooked up to the factory airbox. So thinking it may not be getting enough air I made some modifications.(maybe to help out idle etc...) So I look at the inside of the box and the narrow portion on the bottom of the box leading into the intake(formaly leading into AFM now the MAF). Looks very small big restriction so I shaved it out. Upon trying to start the car it ran very poor I could hardly get it going !!! Needed alot of extra fuel to idle but still ran badly. I though vacuum leak but nothing. So during the time the engine was running I cupped my hand to the shape of the piece i remove a the car picked up and ran well again. So.... I guess with out this piece there is not enough vacuum to carry air into the intake?? or at least hit the MAF metering tube. So I went down to hardware store and bought a small piece of plastic pipe slightly bigger than old piece I cutout. Actually feeds a nice open line into the MAF. I start the car...and wow a fairly steady idle much better than I had with the factory setup. Even on acceleration much smoother. So I thought I would pass this on...does help with limiting the restriction into the MAF and keep factory look. Anyone else mess with this???
Old 08-08-2006, 12:56 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics please?? Also, where did you get the adapter piece that would mount on the airbox and hold the 3" hose to the VR MAF? Did you get it from Vitesse, or somewhere else (please let me know where, if somewhere else). Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 AM
ian kam
Racer

actually made the piece myself using the maf and parts of vr kit. i used fiberglass to make the jpipe.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Ian, the stock air box is ok for a K26, however when you go to a larger turbo it can be restrictive. This is one reason we don't recommend using our Stealth setup with the larger turbos. However if you must, maybe Ian's solution will help.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question for you CA guys, not to hijack: Why in the hell would the state care WTF you do to your car as long as it passes emissions? I don't understand all the stealth, it isn't stock...I'd be voting me in some new politicians or something.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably has to do with the fact that manufactures have much more stringent emissions requirements then what we have to deal with as the end consumer. SO by keeping the cars stock, you pretty much guarantee that the vehicle will stay very close to the stricter manufacturer’s emissions standard.

Rogue
Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
ian kam
Racer

actually have not done any dyno work yet but so far seems to breath very well. I will let everyone know once its all done. John I seem to be getter closer to finishing. I found a big problem was the connector to the DME temp sensor. The wires under the boot were all exposed to one another..causing bad data to DME. Darn 19 year old harness.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

Ian,
Please post some pictures of your VR stock airbox MAF setup
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Probably has to do with the fact that manufactures have much more stringent emissions requirements then what we have to deal with as the end consumer. SO by keeping the cars stock, you pretty much guarantee that the vehicle will stay very close to the stricter manufacturer’s emissions standard.

Rogue
Except in the case of 20 year old parts
Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
IanS
Instructor

Did you play with the transition from the snorkel to the top of the airbox? JME makes a whole new snorkel which goes around the outside of the airbox connector, instead of the inside, but its quite expensive. Someone mentioned it was worth 5hp, mostly because the snorkel steps down in size instead of having a constant cross-section.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bret - I've asked that question many, many, many times to many, many people in different positions. I totally agree that if my car passes the smog test, it shouldn't matter what I'm running on it. But since we have a political entity to 'regulate' this (CARB - the California Air Resource Board), I doubt it will go away anytime soon.

Still would like to see a pic, Ian ...

Hey John, ever get any of those adapter pieces??
Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should invite him to a test/tune day and show the head of the board what can be accomplished with good tuning. They don't sniff in Germantown but I went to the Memphis center, asked the guy if I could go through cause I thought I was buying a house in "Memphis", I had the car at 14.7-9, A/C running to heat it up a bit(heard this helped) and passed well within limits.

Last edited by Ski; 08-08-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82

Hey John, ever get any of those adapter pieces??

I just have a limited number of adapters matched up to the kits. I'm trying to get few more adapters to match the demand.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 PM
por4ever
Instructor

It doesn't hurt (help?) that the law forces us to purhcase OEM replacement parts. Keeps the money flowing to Toyota, Honda, Nissan and the others. Heck with the right updates you could probably get a 951 to run CLEANER then stock but CARB doesn't want to hear it.

Quick Reply: intersting find with stock airbox