Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering wheel won't return to center?

So, I know a couple of people have had the problem of turning the steering wheel to the left or right, and having it not return to center until they turn the opposite direction. For me, it was turning to the right, the steering wheel would only come back to about 2 o'clock, until i would make a left turn, of which it would return back to center (12 o'clock). I have had the problem for about 2 years now, and just haven't had the time to deal with figuring out what it was (same issue after new tie rod assemblies, alignments, new suspension, control arms, steering shaft, new PS rack etc). I also had a shaking in the steering wheel when traveling at interstate speeds, bad between 60-70mph, once over 75, it would more or less go away. So, I decided that I would just drive a bit faster

So I started thinking about it, and the only thing I could come up with was: With the rebuilt rack, there was some play in the rack up and down if you grabbed the ends and pushed and pull. If this was the case, I would go to a manual rack and be done with PS. The other thing was the 2 rubber steering rack bushings for the mounts.

So I bought some mounts about 6 months ago, and today finally got around to putting in the 2 $10 rubber mounts that have been sitting on my box for way too long. The old mounts fell apart when I took them off. Got the new mounts in and...well....steering now returns to center, and the vibration is gone. Took all of about 15 minutes to change them out (undo 2 13mm bolts on each mount, and I also took the 2 13mm bolts holding each sway bar drop link to the frame, just for a little extra wiggle room).

Cliff Notes:
1. If you turn the wheel, and if it doesn't return to center until you turn the wheel the opposite direction, replace your rack mount bushings.

2. I am an idiot for not doing this 2 years ago.

Now I can get on to my next project......
Old 08-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More notes....

3. Only the left hand steering rack rubber bushing has raised shoulders that hold the steering rack in place laterally.

4. Paragon sells a delrin replacement for the left side rack bushing for more positive positioning and feel.

5. You are an idiot for not doing this 2 years ago....
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It amazing how we will put up these things. My steering was ****TY for a few months until I did this quick and cheap little job. Bingo perfect steering!
Old 08-12-2006, 05:27 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caster issues possibly?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, that always bugged me to death back when I had the car. I am glad you have finally figured it out. Like you said numerous people have had this problem including my dad's 951.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
IanS
Instructor

Holy cow, you just described my car. I keep trying to center the steering wheel and I can never get it quite right. And its at exactly the same speed that it vibrates. I thought it was my control arms, which are in need of refurb.

Now the question is OEM or Delrin.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Uh, crawl under the car, and there it is.

And holy old thread batman......
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Which mounts are these? I think I might have this problem
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

my problem with the wheel off-center stemmed from the fact i reinstalled the wheel wrong lol
Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Which mounts are these? I think I might have this problem
Is the actual mounting points of the rack. Under the U brackets that hold the rack to the crossmember are rubber bushings.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have replaced all the rubber in my front suspension, forgot about the steering rubber bushing so I though I order up a set. Got a little sticker shock, $160 for the set. Ouch!!
http://www.paragon-products.com/Stee...4_racktack.htm
http://www.paragon-products.com/Stee...tack_right.htm
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Same issue here, replaced the driver's side with the Paragon delrin bushing since it's the one with the shoulders that actually locate the rack and just replaced the other side with the stock rubber bushing.

Centering problem solved and the steering felt sharper afterwards.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Greg -- i recently did the same steering wheel set up as you have on my 968 -- only I got the carbon fiber wheel like what comes stock with the Carrera GT and the leatherette bag [all in black/on my black interior]...

Your 944/968 interior is the nicest one I have ever seen.

At the last moment I remembered to center the front wheels and I got lucky using a used clockspring from a 911 turbo that was also properly lined up. [my carbon wheel was originally manufactured with less internal structure to work with for cutting]... what I mean to say is that I was only safely able to bore the inside of the wheel hub about 1/8 inch... the conical-shaped hub did not have the clearance to bore any deeper at that boring diameter... so, I simply cut off the back of the wheel hub 1/4 inch. This netted 3/8 inches... and I was able get the wheel safely on... I did an extra careful job grounding my extra wire as to try to minimize any possibility of the airbag light coming on...

btw, do you know how many of us 944/968 drivers are running 996 three-spoke wheels ?

Allan -- Massachusetts

Quick Reply: Steering wheel won't return to center?