Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

what now? are my bearings shot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Milkcow060
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what now? are my bearings shot?

Well I thought I had a head gasket problem…but after taking everything apart it looks like my oil cooler seals are the culprits. So what now? You think my bearings are shot? This sucks.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had water in the oil?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Milkcow060
Instructor

yeah...i made a mistake and did not do enough research...shame on me
Old 09-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, if the water affected them you'll know soon after but probably not if you caught it soon enough. Replace the seals, if 87 car - new little o-ring for the OPRV too, new gasket, and then do a couple of quick oil changes(filter too) with just some 30wt oil, as this should help clean out all the old stuff in the oil galley. Drive it, if pressure is good, no noise, then change the oil to what you normally run. good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Milkcow060
Instructor

I kinda expected to be flamed for my ignorance so thank you. Do you know where I can pickup the 1987 alignment tool for the OPRV?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't use it, some do. The small coupling, with two o-rings, is a pretty good alignment tool, coupled with the bolts just hand tight as you put the housing on. Then insert the OPRV all the way, then tighten the bolts.
However, you can call or go to www.paragon-products.com and Jason has them if you prefer to use it or don't feel comfortable doing it the other way.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Tony951
Intermediate

I changed the gasket on my oil filter housing (88 951) also when doing the head gasket - on the advice of a Porsche mechanic ('while you're in there'). He didn't mention anything about aligning the OPRV properly when installing the housing - needless to say, I didn't worry about it and got serious mixing of coolant in the oil about 50 miles after I reassembled everything. I must have had a gallon of coolant in my oilpan! So I installed the oil filter housing/OPRV with new gaskets/orings - this time when tightening the housing, I made sure the OPRV slid in and out of the block easily. You may have to re-tighten/adjust the housing several times to get it right. With the new o-ring on the tip of the OPRV, alignment was pretty easy (I didn't replace this o-ring the 1st time). When you have the OPRV out, make sure the spring loaded piston moves nice and smoothly. My bearings and oil pressure appear to be fine now (after several flushes), so I would think you're in the clear...

Quick Reply: what now? are my bearings shot?