Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken 944 turbo :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM
DuffyT
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken 944 turbo :-(

hello everyone. i bought my 1987 944 turbo about 5 months ago and it has done nothing but bring a smile to my face... untill recently..

well.. here is the story...

well.. after 5 months of having the most amazing car in the world (yes the 951 is the most amazing, haha) i messed up my engine.

i was racing at over 120 mph for about 15 to 20 minutes, came to a rest and then proceded to burn out and swing the back end around and i lost oil pressure. The engine then proceeded to make probibly the worst noise in the entire world.

i did drive it home which was about 7 or so minutes away and let it sit for about 3 weeks doing nothing. Then i went to start it up for a friend the noise was gone. i took it for a quick (not really quick i went slow) drive and the car make the noise again and it stalled out and i had to have it towed.

i have begun taking the car apart to drop the engine because everyone i have been talking to said that no matter what i will probibly have to do that.

any thoughts before i get way too far over my head with this project? perhaps it isn't as bad as i think it is?

it does turn over fine and compression is good, tested that. it just stalls out within a few seconds. registeres no oil pressure but there is oil and coolant. i drained the coolant today and it was a little brown and i had just changed it. thinking ether burnt or oil got in it.

the coolant resevoir was a little dirty but there was no oil sitting on top, and over all it was pretty clean, just dirtier then i expected.

please any help at all would be great, dont have the biggest budget and would like to get my car back on the road before the spring... if that is even reasonable to think, haha

well.. thats about it.. any thoughts would be great, hehe.

-Tim
Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Kell
Instructor

First off, if you ever loose oil pressure do not keep driving, shut it off, get it towed. If ouve been running the engine at all with no pressure that motor is definanly gonna have to come out...

Describe what the sound is. does it change with revs? is it a metallic sound? any smoke from the exhaust? etc... Also pull out the dip stick and hold it up so that you get some bright light to reflect on it and see if you see any metal flakes or a metallic look to the oil.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Tony951
Intermediate

You should check your oil filter housing (under the headers) - you may have gotten coolant into your oil, hence losing oil pressure. There is a gasket there that separates the oil from the coolant. It is a bit of a pain to get at, but it sounds like the gasket failed. There is a great write up online from a Rennlist member on how to R&R the oil filter housing. You should look for condensation on the bottom of your oil filler cap as well as a 'milk shake' appearance to your oil.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Rip apart your oil filter and look for any metal pieces in the filtration material.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:42 AM
AL951
Racer

Also something to consider.

you may have a broken or crack oil pick-up tube. My car had that happen to it. It would start find and as the oil came to temp, it would start to loose oil pressure and to make noise. anyway your motor needs to came out, 7 minutes of driving with low or no oil press. is to long.

Regards,
AL
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

So much for that motor. Where are you located? Maybe a local has a short block. With some effort (i.e. LOTS of hard work) you can probably get it back on the road for $5K.

-Joel.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Sounds like to need rod bearings and/or probably piston rings...
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
DuffyT
5th Gear

THank you all for your help. i was pretty sure that the engine had to get taken out, and i do know that driving it was a terrible idea, but it has been done so nothing can be changed now.

i have herd about the oil pick up being broken and having the oil presure die down after heating up, that is what it was doing.

but also i drained the oil, and after only like 300 miles it was just about jet black. had 10W30 ? maybe i think? in it.. moble 1 synthetic, so pretty sure it should not be that black.

drained the coolant as well and that was a bit brown and that was changed with the oil. all not good signes.

there were flakes on the magnet that is on the oil drain plug, so over all i think the engine is pretty toasted.

i live in rochester NY, going to school at RIT.. if anyone lives near by and would like to take a look would love the advice.

thanks again.

-Tim
Old 12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

If it was knocking and you drove it, the bottom end is probably too far gone. Short block time.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
DuffyT
5th Gear

having a REAL hard time getting the exhaust off... any sugestions or tricks??

all the bolt heads are just rusted to almost nothing.. they are in there real good, it deffinitly isn't going anywere without a real fight.

any thoughts? and too.. should i take the turbo off before i drop the engine or will it fit if i keep it on?

thanks!

-Tim
Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
AL951
Racer

It is easier to take the crossover pipe out, before you take the engine out. If you are going to drop the engine, then it is not nessesary. You can take all of the engine in one piece.

I sure that you will get more useful advice in a couple of hours. Good lock!

Regards,
AL
Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would do a search on this- prob get you further- pull the computer DME wires through the firewall into the engine bay. PUll the battery wires through the firewall into the engine bay. PUll the steering shaft and downpipe back exhaust, then coolant hoses and drop the motor out the bottom while still attached to the engine cradle w/ a-arms etc still attached. Easiest way to do it. Done it oh i duno five or more times..

oh and 10-30 is crap- should be running at least 15w40 if not 20-50 in that thing. Prob heated up the oil and lost pressure to #2 rod bearing, spun it out and now its tearing up the crank. COuld be ok w/ the piston liners if your lucky.
Attached Images    
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
DuffyT
5th Gear

wow.. thank you guys sooo much.. i took off way more then i needed too on the engine, but can all be put back on obviously... thanks again.. i will let you know after i take a swing at it tomorrow.

again.. thank you soooo much

-Tim
Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live near RIT...PM me tomorrow and maybe i'll be able to take a quick peak at it. worst case, you need a new engine...
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i would do a search on this- prob get you further- pull the computer DME wires through the firewall into the engine bay. PUll the battery wires through the firewall into the engine bay. PUll the steering shaft and downpipe back exhaust, then coolant hoses and drop the motor out the bottom while still attached to the engine cradle w/ a-arms etc still attached. Easiest way to do it. Done it oh i duno five or more times..

oh and 10-30 is crap- should be running at least 15w40 if not 20-50 in that thing. Prob heated up the oil and lost pressure to #2 rod bearing, spun it out and now its tearing up the crank. COuld be ok w/ the piston liners if your lucky.
Dan, how high do I need to have the front end to drop the motor by that method? I have 24" jackstands, engine hoist, and a low boy dolly. I assume you leave the rear on the ground?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Broken 944 turbo :-(