Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR Racing Injector Harness Install (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR Racing Injector Harness Install (LONG)

Installing a LR Injector harness with the harness removed.
Purchased the XMAS special with the Knock sensor added for $150.00

Also purchased the referernce sensor XMAS special for $115 talk about that later.

Packaging was quite good clear heavy duty bag.
Initial impression? Very pleased. The new harness has upgraded connectors
much easier to take off and on. The connector pins are OEM.

The harness covering is very nice. Black mesh type material that feels slightly slippery (abrasion resistance flexible ) yet tough..tried setting it on fire it takes a lot of heat to get it to burn so it does have some fire resistance properties.
This material should last a lot longer than the OEM material very nice.

The Install:
Snorkel, Fire wall
Having the luxury of the harness being removed from the car. It was easy to lay the new harness next to the old and adjust for the length needed outside the
rubber snorkel.
There are two ways to get the harness through the fire wall cut a hole into the snorkel or (in my case) snake it through the snorkel. There is room to snake the new harness it is a tight fit WD40 is recommended.

Removing the old pins and wires:
Pin extractor is NOT needed ( don't waste your time even trying to find one)
What IS needed is a VERY SMALL flat bladed screw driver. Study the DME/ KLR
connector ends you will see a small slot between the pins they are the extractor
slots find a flat bladed screw driver that fits in that slot and push down firmly the pin will come out. Backtrack a little the DME and KLR don't open the same way. The DME connector has a small screw that you remove and it SLIDES apart
The KLR has small screw that you remove along with a rubber retainer and it pushes out from the housing.

Old harness wire removal:
You can't completely remove the harness wires because at the top of the snorkel there is a very hard plastic collar incasing the entire harness it would very difficult to remove because the wires within the collar are coated with a very hard epoxy type material removing it would mean cutting into and possible cutting into the surrounding wires.
What I did was cut out as much of the old wire/harness as I could reach being careful not to nick or cut any surrounding wires I coved the exposed ends with LIQUID TAPE for looks only regular tape would work just fine.

Problems encountered:
Went to install the pins for the KLR and noticed the wire LENGTH did not match
the OEM KLR harness exactly they are to short. So I called Dave at LR and told him I thought I had a defective harness he told me "NO the harness is 6 foot and it will reach the KLR" he stated that Porsche for whatever reason made the KLR harness to long both the DME and KLR are situated next to each other and there is plenty of wire to reach the KLR connector for Dave the length was determined for economic reasons. I agreed however the wire length does not allow for entirely clean install because it does not reach the entire length of the OEM harness and if you want it to fit like OEM you will have to cut splice solder more wire for a true OEM fit. Is it a big deal? to me it is. It just means I have to accept another compromise from a vendor due to cost.

Final verdict: 8 out of ten stars highly recommended for the 951 fanatics
in need of new injector harness...The newbies out there be warned it's not as easy as it looks but it is doable.

Product quality overall is excellent.
Instructions needs work there is a diagram noting pin location but real install details are not there.

When you realize that LR is the only one making replacements injector harness
or harness replacements at all you have to give them many KUDOS.

-BB
Attached Images    
Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up. I will be visiting this install + reference sensor wiring in the near future.

I wish LR could manufacture a TPS wiring harness (mine is frayed, and is starting to cause problems), I spoke to Wes @ LR about that this wk, he stated "that LR cannot source the connector that plugs into the TPS, so they haven't been able to make this (much needed ) product."
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up and pics. I wish I would have had this when I installed mine. I didnt know about the plastic collar and gave up. I ended up just poking a hole in the snorkle at the firewall end. I am going to use small zip ties to secure the wire at the connectors and probably where each line branches off as well, just to secure things a bit more.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jy951
Nice write-up. I will be visiting this install + reference sensor wiring in the near future.

I wish LR could manufacture a TPS wiring harness (mine is frayed, and is starting to cause problems), I spoke to Wes @ LR about that this wk, he stated "that LR cannot source the connector that plugs into the TPS, so they haven't been able to make this (much needed ) product."
Connector from eagle day
Five spade connecors from same
Mil spec wire from EBay
Shrink wrap

Thats all you need.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the Edge said, Eagle Day. I'm currently redoing a harness for a S2.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed an LR injector harness in my Dad's 951, and was also very please with the overall quality. Like you, I was a bit disappointed in it being too short to run with the factory harness. I am planning on buying all the harnesses LR makes and replace as much of mine as I can, but I have been waiting in hopes that they will finish the TPS and the other harness they are currently working on. I hope they find a source for the connector soon.

Buckaroo Banzi- I am going to put my LR harnesses in with the factory harness out of the car like you did. Is it easier to pull the harness through the firewall inside the car, or from inside the engine compartment? I am planning on having my cam tower and head off when I do this so that might make things easier depending on which way is easier to pull it through.

Quick Reply: LR Racing Injector Harness Install (LONG)