Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was possibly booting it earlier out of the corners - I was trying very hard to keep Paul behind And the leda was better once I remembered to adjust it from my usual road setings to stiff. I have done a lot of miles with my car in its current state of tune so was happy to take more liberties and I was wearing a race suit which must be good for at least 100bhp
I really need to get a wideband in and get the piggyback from John at Vittesse its well overdue now,
thanks for posting the vid Paul,
Tony
Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diver944
Yes I feel I am now used to the way she feels and drives on track with grippy tyres and was able to open her up and use full throttle and revs without fear of her taking my head off. I did the first session at 18psi and she felt like an absolute rocket ship. Once again I had to relearn this track as every corner could now be exited in a higher gear with bucket loads of torque to accelerate up the next straight.
Paul, all I can say is wow! First of all, the custom job you did with the elbow looks great. But more so, I was absolutely amazed at how much TQ it looks like the car has. I mean, it looks like the second you're on it that the TQ is hitting as hard as hell! You guys did a great job with the car, so kudos to you mate. And thank you for sharing those videos of you on the track. I can't wait to see more footage after you sort out a few of those things. You're car is a stealth beast!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Some video from my car looking at Diver's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WWi2OAuFY
Tony
Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by UK952
Some video from my car looking at Diver's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WWi2OAuFY
Tony
Ha ha - you had to post the lap at the end where I nearly undertook that 997 because I 'misjudged' our closing speed
Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video!

Can you edit the title or description so that the words, 944, 951 and Porsche is in it? That will make it easier to find when using more common search words than 944T.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Diver944
Pro

I've been back to the Dyno today as we wanted to get some figures ahead of some minor changes and tweaking that will be made next month. These are the first figures since the Vittesse MAF and piggyback was fitted and mapped back in January. My in car guage told me we were running a pretty flat 18psi boost but the sensors at the Dyno actually had me down to 17psi, so that was a bit frustrating.

The good news is that it held boost to the redline and you can see the increase in power and torque at 17 psi with Vitesse (blue lines) compared to 15psi on the AFM (red lines). We still have a dipping torque curve, but not as bad as before, but we have done no work with the ignition timing yet. Indi9xx Jon is confident that once we tune the ignition next month we will see another significant increase (I'll make sure I'm at 18 psi too )

Name:  3931.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  3932.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  3933.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  78.1 KB

I should have some fresh video footage next week too as I am doing a trackday at Rockingham Raceway on Sunday. THis is a track a bit like the Indianapolis F1 circuit that uses one of teh banked oval corners, the main straightaway then has a twisty infield section. I think my car will be very fast by the end of the main straight
Old 05-18-2007, 04:47 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So you picked up about 40whp and 50wtq with only a 2-3psi bump??

WOW!!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Paul, the powerband looks great. Is this running on the chip/board or did you get a chance to massage the AFR with the PB?

Were you running pump gas or race gas maps? I'm going to assume the pump gas. If so, try some higher octane and you will see higher numbers (across the range).

Would you email me the charts?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Diver944
Pro

John, this is after I massaged the AFR using your piggyback. I've been a bit conservative and kept it at 11.5:1 at full boost. This was running our European high octane pump gas of 98 Ron

I'll email you the charts now. We are expecting further gains once we alter the ignition curve, but I'm leaving that to Indi Jon next month
Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Diver944
Pro

I think it might me time to change the title of this thread

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the wall

At a trackday last week at Snetterton Circuit here in the UK I had a complete loss of brakes with no warning and a big crash into the tyre barriers around the outside of Turn 1. The left side of the car is now a narrowbody 951 but it could have been much worse because I was just starting a cool down lap, I was already shortshifting and at the end of the straight I lifted off at the 300 yard board for a gentle brake brake before the first corner. At full speed this is a sharp dab at the 200 yard board and a change down to 4th gear, however when I went for the brake pedal it went straight to the floor.

Panic quickly set in and I pumped the pedal a few times but absolutely nothing happened. I was now past the the 100 yard board and approaching the turn in point still carrying way too much speed. In desperation I changed down to 4th gear hoping to scrub some speed off but I knew if I tried to turn in I would just spin and there was not much run off towards the barrier. As I left the track there was a small strip of grass before a small gravel trap and I was pointing straight at the barrier behind. I knew this was going to hurt a lot if I hit straight on so I turned the wheel hoping to get the car slightly sideways. I then flew almost straight across the gravel trap, I let go of the wheel, folded my arms, closed my eyes and purposely tried to totally relax before I hit the barrier

Miraculously I did hit it exactly side on, there was a huge bang, lots of flying glass and I bounced back some 20 feet from the tyre barrier. The Marshalls were running towards me before the car even came to a rest and were by my side within 15 seconds. The Medics were there shortly afterwards and started checking me out whilst the car was loaded on to the recovery truck. I had a few tiny glass cuts to my forehead and left hand, a small bruise to my left thigh and left arm but the worst injury was a very big bruise to the inside of my right elbow (I have no idea what that could have hit). I am just so impressed with the safey staff at Snetterton I can't thank them enough.

Back in the paddock, poor old LIL was looking a bit sorry for herself if you looked at the Nearside but she still looked amazing from the Offside. The front wing, door and rear quarter are very crumpled, there is a small crease in the badge panel and the nearside popup is a bit bent. The roof seems flat, the bonnet is fine, the tailgate is totally in one piece. The bonnet opens and closes, so does the hatchback and also the sunroof. The floor of the boot apears to be uncreased and from underneath it looks like only the outer sill is crumpled. The wheels are still round, the tyres still inflated but some of the black paint has scratched off. The only window that actually smashed was the one of the door.

She is already back with Indi Jon and Simon (who built her) and the very early reports are that it could well be panel damage only (with some bent suspension) which will be fantastic news. Next week she will be measured properly so I can decide whether to rebuild or reshell. She lost no fluids and the engine started first time with full oil pressure as I drove her on to the recovery truck next day.

Porsche really do build these cars so fantasically strong that I just can't thank my lucky stars enough that I got out and walked away with minor bruising. It's just a shame that my wallet will not be as bruise free

Last edited by Diver944; 09-14-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Paul, this is terrible. I'm glad you were not hurt, the car can always be fixed or replaced.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Holy Crap! Sorry to hear of your loss! No better time than now to go full widebody!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that you are OK!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully you are okay Paul, and hopefully it is just panel damage as you suspect.

Please let us know what went wrong with your brakes when you know.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bad news paul - good to hear you are ok, thats what matters. You'll be back i'm sure!

Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road