Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post some pics when you get it back Paul, beautiful car.

Projects hmmp! - my 2.8L, which I should be building now, is delayed to pay Uncle Sam

Track car - engine built/installed but we have an OPRV problem that we've been unable to get to yet and still have not repainted passenger door/rear quarter from the slight oil fire

jwl's wifes' 930 has been at Imagine Auto since September - promised around Thanksgiving, now due the end of Feb...

and our new German Shepherd white pup is a royal BITCH. Thanks, I feel better.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

That's it Brett, lie down and tell us where it all began. lol
Don't you just love the waiting and some of the reasons for delays are fascinating. Get this. My shortblock went from California to somewhere else in California, to Kentucky to New Jersey to Philly back to Kentucky then to Hawaii and finally to Sydney then sat in Customs for a week! You have to wonder where the profit lies in all that???
Paul hope you are driving in Lil this weekend. Do you have to go back to Jon to do any tuning or testing though?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually i'm curious as to the cause of the brake failure - looked but couldn't find. i'm back in london around april, if you guys are doing another meet up let me know .
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by facboy
actually i'm curious as to the cause of the brake failure - looked but couldn't find. i'm back in london around april, if you guys are doing another meet up let me know .
+1 re cause of failure... I know a local lister has also been having brake issues. I was talking to a friend who prepares race cars and races a V8 Supercar. He said he wouldn't use ABS on the track... something about taking too long for the fluid to refill with the repeated heavy application if I understood him correctly. Apparently, there's been a lot of issues with Nissans losing brakes for this reason.

Sound familiar to anyone? Any comments?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's it Brett, lie down and tell us where it all began. lol
Don't you just love the waiting and some of the reasons for delays are fascinating. Get this. My shortblock went from California to somewhere else in California, to Kentucky to New Jersey to Philly back to Kentucky then to Hawaii and finally to Sydney then sat in Customs for a week! You have to wonder where the profit lies in all that???
Paul hope you are driving in Lil this weekend. Do you have to go back to Jon to do any tuning or testing though?
Patrick,

The profit lies in your checks clearing. All kidding aside, was this the trip your motor took to get to you?

I order stuff from ARB in Australia for my offroad Toyota/Lexus stuff. It seems to come from Australia via ship to LA, then to me.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes that was the actual journey my shortblock took to get to me in Sydney. It started from SoCal which is a straight line to Sydney, then I think it joined Hilary on her campaign tour for a week or so! Unbelievable.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by facboy
actually i'm curious as to the cause of the brake failure .
No we still don't know for sure because the car has not spent any real time in the workshop, it has spent the last 6 months in the bodyshop having a 2-3 week repair replacing the wing, door and rear quarter!

Once the bodyhsop have finished and I am happy with it, the car will be trailered over to Jons workshop and he can investigate properly. Jon originally suspected that the master cylinder had given way, but the brakes worked fine the morning after the smash when I drove the car onto the flatbed truck. When I pressed the pedal on track it just went straight to the floor, pumping it a few times had no effect and I had no warning at previous corners.

If you can remember that far back, I was just about to start a cool down lap as I had been held up behind a slow car for the past couple of corners and I had done about 15 minutes already. I can remember gently braking behind the slower car because I was probably 30% down on speed behind him, he let me past on the pit straight and I short shifted up to 5th, pressed the pedal at 300m instead of 200m on a fast lap and nothing happened Afer all these months I think it was simple fluid boiling brake fluid, we will know for sure when Jon strips it all down

Brakes were standard 944 M030 with fresh ATE blue fluid, PFC 97 pads, tyres were Kumho V700 soft 235/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear. On that day I was running with the EBC switched off so my maximum boost was 12psi off the spring in the WG, maybe 330bhp? This was because I'd been having a problem with the plug in cyl#4 when running on track at 17psi and was due to be looked at by Indi Jon the week later when we were installing a Vitesse WS and doing some work on the timing.

Other work will be complete new brake system with 928 GTS Big Blacks, the most expensive highest boiling brake fluid I can find, and some 3" ducting from the front bumper right back to the brake calliper.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Paul,

Remember racing fluid has ultra high boiling point but very little lube qualities and should be changed more regularly than normal road fluid
Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's tru. With old school Brembos fluid should be replaced at least once a year. With newer Monoblocks it's not such a problem.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Diver944
Pro

Don't worry, I'm more than happy to change it after every event if need be - I don't want to feel that feeling ever again

I was pretty good about bleeding it after every event anyway and did a full change at the beginning of every track season so twice a year is no hardship if needs be
Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I hope you can find out what actually happened. Bring in the CSI units! I have had that happen to me a couple of times where the pedal goes WAYYY down and it's not nice. I wonder if anyone else with ABS has experienced this re Geneqco's comments above?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

very impressive!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i hear ya on shipping stuff to australia. I shipped a short block there and it was trucked up to chicago, then somehow it got to california, then 45days on a ship to aus. - then sat at the dock for a couple weeks and they charged some crazy fee at the dock. No thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i hear ya on shipping stuff to australia. I shipped a short block there and it was trucked up to chicago, then somehow it got to california, then 45days on a ship to aus. - then sat at the dock for a couple weeks and they charged some crazy fee at the dock. No thanks.
Depends who you use, my block only took about a week or two
Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think that was Sean's block that got sent via ship rather than air freight. It's pretty cheap, but they got slugged with some ridiculous fees once it landed.

Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road