Dyno results for Vitesse K26/8 MAF - 318 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dyno results for Vitesse K26/8 MAF - 318 rwhp

I finally got my '89 Turbo to the dyno today. It was a Dyno Dynamics dyno, which is a loading dyno (like the Mustang dyno). Ambient temperature in the shop was around 80F. It is said that the Dyno dynamics reads lower than the Dynojets. I'm not sure how true this is, but keep this in mind when comparing my numbers to Dynojet numbers.

My setup is as follows:

Vitesse MAF + VR piggyback
Stock K26/8
55# injectors
38mm Tial WG
Reliaboost

The rest of the car is 100% stock, including the original factory cat! The car has about 88k miles.

And finally the numbers: 318 rwhp/328 lb-ft RWTQ (SAE corrected)! Not bad for the original stock turbo.

Here's the hp/torque chart:

Also, here is a chart of AFR and boost pressure:

By tweaking with the VR piggyback, I found that maximum hp was produced at around 11.5 AFR. Anything richer or leaner made a bit less power.

Boost peaked at about 16 psi and dropped gradually to about 14 psi by redline. I have never been able to get my K26/8 to hold full boost to redline, even with the Tial WG, so that's not unusual for my car. Also, I noticed that at the lower rpm's (below 3500 rpm) I made less boost on the dyno than I see on the road. The dyno runs were done in third gear because the dyno operator insisted that there would be more heat soak in fourth gear (with a longer run). The turbo probably can't develop the boost as fast in third gear, even though this is a loading dyno.

On the road, all I can say is that the car is really strong and has excellent driveability. Vitesse Racing delivers the goods again!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think thats the highest K26/8 dyno I've seen. What was the correction factor?
Awesome pull.

Rogue
Old 06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that is accurate I'd love to see what it would do with a decent exhaust system.

are you sure you didn't slip him a $20 to be "optimistic"
Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I hope that's right because I'm about to install a Tial on mine, but it doesn't seem possible with the boost level you were at.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Wow, ok that does it vitesse maf> lindsey maf.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

No offense but I would seriously question the dyno operators correction factors. You are running under 16 psi and making that kind of power on a stock turbo and stock exhaust? I assume this is supposed to be RWHP and not flywheel right? If so your dyno guy is really, really messing the numbers around. There is no way a stock K26/8 with stock exhaust will make that power. To put it in perspective that is on par with the power level from a Vitesse Stage III - with supporting mods like an exhaust, etc. Using this guys numbers a k27/8 should make 400 rwhp. Before you get upset consider this - there isn't another k26/8 dynosheet anywhere that has that power level. Most if not all are in the mid 250 to 270 range at the wheels and again that is with exhaust mods and running more than 16 psi of boost. Looks to me like your dyno guy is trying hard to keep you happy. Just my 0.02.

P.S. Just read you said that a dynojet would read even more. So are you saying you have a 350 rwhp car on a dynojet? Not a hope in hell.....and consider this I own a Dynojet 248C. I know what it takes to get 350 rwhp and a k26/8 is about 100 rwhp shy. Your correction factors are all messed up.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
special tool
Banned

Wow dude, that is a big number.
Are you positive that's a k26 in there??

Also - a 26/8 should have zero problem whatsoever holding 16 psi with Tial 38 - where was the boost reading taken from for the dyno?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

have to agree with soloracer, that doesn't look right for a 26/8. maybe he "corrected" it to read flywheel hp?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by shaheed
have to agree with soloracer, that doesn't look right for a 26/8. maybe he "corrected" it to read flywheel hp?

That would be about right for 16-14 psi.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm stock turbo stock exhaust and 16psi making 318.

If the dyno is reading right you might have a ringer in there. I was running 4 more psi and I made 17hp less...and I have all the supporting mods where as you don't.

regardless thats a seriously strong stock turbo car. You have official knocked me off my thrown of pump gas highest hp stock turbo'd car.

awesome bro. Got any vids of the dyno or anything of the car. I'd love to see that beast.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

The dyno operator says SAE corrections were applied and this is definitely power at the wheels. Even I was a little surprised by the numbers, but on the other hand this car did 297 rwhp on a Dynojet with my old Guru MAP system at about the same boost levels. Those results were posted here a few years back. I would think the Vitesse MAF should do at least as well. Also, I have heard anecdotally of other K26/8 951's doing as much as 310-320 rwhp, although I have never actually seen those results first hand.

The one thing I am a little suspicious about is the measured boost levels. They seem low. My VDO boost gauge shows more boost, although I didn't get to observe what the gauge read during the dyno runs. To get boost pressure, the dyno operator just teed into one of the lines coming off the intake manifold.

And yes, this is the original stock K26/8. I know this because I am the original owner of the car.

Also, the dyno facility (KTR Motorsports in Ayer, MA) that I went to has posted dyno sheets from other vehicles they've dyno'd. You can check them out here.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jake951
The dyno operator says SAE corrections were applied and this is definitely power at the wheels. Even I was a little surprised by the numbers, but on the other hand this car did 297 rwhp on a Dynojet with my old Guru MAP system at about the same boost levels. Those results were posted here a few years back. I would think the Vitesse MAF should do at least as well. Also, I have heard anecdotally of other K26/8 951's doing as much as 310-320 rwhp, although I have never actually seen those results first hand.

The one thing I am a little suspicious about is the measured boost levels. They seem low. My VDO boost gauge shows more boost, although I didn't get to observe what the gauge read during the dyno runs. To get boost pressure, the dyno operator just teed into one of the lines coming off the intake manifold.

And yes, this is the original stock K26/8. I know this because I am the original owner of the car.
Sounds like you just have a really strong well taken care of car. Its been the same with mine all along. Congrats I never thought someone would beat my pump gas 26 #'s.

although I made more tq than you I was running quite a bit more boost. Those are strong #'s you should be proud.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 PM
buxton
Racer

I just checked Russell's website as I remembered somthing about a mostly stock 89 951 and he has a dyno chart from Dave Lindsey's car with a stock AFM, 3bar FPR, DP wastegate, and 4" exhaust running 305/345 at 16psi with his chips. That dyno sheet was sent in by Dave Lindsey it states.

If that chart is accurate then I think that Jake951's numbers could be right on.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
The dyno operator says SAE corrections were applied and this is definitely power at the wheels.
Did he say what the SAE correction factor was?

Rogue
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Did he say what the SAE correction factor was?
He didn't say what the actual amount of the correction is, but in my experience it's usually less than 10 hp at these levels.

Quick Reply: Dyno results for Vitesse K26/8 MAF - 318 rwhp