944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gauging intrest: urethane AIR style splitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't wait to see where this goes. Good luck Kurt!

-Darwin
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, nice progress and you have plenty of interest so it should be a good one!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
mrwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be down for one. And possibly a rear 968 wing if that ever came to pass.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy an AIR splitter in urethane, ifyou could make the ends of it follow the lines of the wheel arch. I hate how they look in that area.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lorax
I would buy an AIR splitter in urethane, ifyou could make the ends of it follow the lines of the wheel arch. I hate how they look in that area.
If you have photoshop or something, could you show me what you mean? I dont think i quite understand what you want changed.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
nize
Banned

i think he's talking about the side spoiler that goes in front of the wheels like this;

personally, i'm not sure how one could get that design to work well with the 951 body design without cutting out parts of the front bumper.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

The primary area where these things dont fit right is here:

You can see in many photos that the splitter does not line up perfectly because they are too short. So either you have a gap, or you have to stretch the bumper cover to hell to make it looks right. You can also see the the line on the end of the splitter angles out, not following the line of the wheel arch.

In urethane, you could shave them down to fit as needed. would be nice. Also, the edge that "catches" under the bumper cover could be improved, to provide a more seamless look. Urethane would make all that allot easier to do i think...
Old 10-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Geneqco
Pro

I'm definitely intereted in both the splitter and rear spoiler.

Thanks for taking the time for this project... hope it all goes well!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

I would be interested as well. The only reason why I wouldn't buy a front splitter now is because I know it will need replacement in around 4 months. If you could make it as durable as you say you can, you would sell plenty. Keep us posted if you do it.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be interested in a splitter and spoiler.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:18 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lorax
The primary area where these things dont fit right is here:

You can see in many photos that the splitter does not line up perfectly because they are too short. So either you have a gap, or you have to stretch the bumper cover to hell to make it looks right. You can also see the the line on the end of the splitter angles out, not following the line of the wheel arch.

In urethane, you could shave them down to fit as needed. would be nice. Also, the edge that "catches" under the bumper cover could be improved, to provide a more seamless look. Urethane would make all that allot easier to do i think...
I can work with the splitter a bit before i cast it, and see if i can improve the design.

On a more important note: It looks like Krhino is going to send some samples my way, and possibly supply me with materials. I dont want to jump the gun here, but it's looking entirely feasible that I can produce and sell these for under $200. Now the task is to find the right shore value, master the mixing/casting process, and testing it.

Do you guys want the holes pre-drilled? steel/aluminum skidplate option? just thinking out loud.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Kurt, which way are you going with this? Are you doing it so the spoiler fits with the stock batwing still installed or as a batwing replacement?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 AM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodestination1
...Do you guys want the holes pre-drilled? steel/aluminum skidplate option? just thinking out loud.
While I've never fitted one of these, it seems that pre-drilled holes would make installation a whole lot easier, eliminating the need for locating the holes. Why the A.I.R. fg pieces don't come pre-drilled, I don't know. Some people say that each fascia can be slightly different, based on its fit to the car. But if that's the case, then the stock batwing wouldn't fit properly from car to car. So...if the pre-drilled holes match the stock batwing when fitted to the fascia, then it should be just right. Right? Also, could the pre-drilled holes have a metal reinforcement, like an encased washer?

Following your lead (thinking out loud), would the stiffness of a metal skidplate cause a loss of flexibility, resulting in possible damage. That is, would the stiffness negate the advantage of urethane's flexibility, which is its advantage over fiberglass?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 951Boost
Kurt, which way are you going with this? Are you doing it so the spoiler fits with the stock batwing still installed or as a batwing replacement?
Im going to do a full 1 piece unit that extends back towards the engine... again, i have no batwing, but it's my understanding that this replaces the whole unit.

Originally Posted by cb951
Following your lead (thinking out loud), would the stiffness of a metal skidplate cause a loss of flexibility, resulting in possible damage. That is, would the stiffness negate the advantage of urethane's flexibility, which is its advantage over fiberglass?
I dont think a skidplate would reduce flexibility. if you made a large impact with... say a pothole, the urethane would still flex, while the metal would scrape and push up on the splitter.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodestination1
Im going to do a full 1 piece unit that extends back towards the engine... again, i have no batwing, but it's my understanding that this replaces the whole unit.
I'd be interested in one for sure. Would prefer to drill my own holes.

As far as the skids...not sure at this time, might be a good idea but maybe we should wait and see how flexible they end up being?

Quick Reply: gauging intrest: urethane AIR style splitter