Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gauging intrest: urethane AIR style splitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gauging intrest: urethane AIR style splitter

I'm considering doing a limited production of the AIR splitter (or a something very close to it) in polyurethane. Depending on what you guys want, I could make them semi-ridgid, so that there would be enough flex to prevent cracking. That way, i could make the bottom part of the splitter thicker, and thus more resistant to wear through. Or i could make it semi-solid, so it will act a little more like fiberglass, minus the cracking. A hard urethane casting can take some serious beating... you could hit it with a hammer and nothing would happen.

regardless of what viscosity of urethane i use to cast it, what would the interest be like?

The price would probably be around what AIR charges... around 250 plus shipping... maybe more, maybe less, depending on material prices. I'd probably charge a little over the production cost, but im more interested in giving back to the community than turning a dime. Again, production would be limed... i'd probably start off making 20 or so.

so.... any takers?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Portly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested. I'd love a splitter, but the fiberglass options would only last a matter of days for me.

_Jeff
Old 10-13-2007, 06:25 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

While I like the AIR design I think there needs to be a completely new take on the splitter. Now if you could make it like those offered for the new 997 turbo or something as interesting then I'd be interested. Otherwise I may have to come up with my own design this winter.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Would be very interested...it would be great to see something with a little bit more surface area.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

VERY interested. I like the A.I.R. design, but fiberglass can only be considered temporary. Same design in urethane would be WONDERFUL.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

what exactly do you mean by "surface area?" like make it stick further out?

and to be honest, im not wild about the 997 lip, especially on a 951. but to each his own.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I've been calling for something like this for ages so definitely count me in! The only thing is that maybe bigger is not better. You should check out the info in these links. They were posted by another Rennlister in my thread on underhood ventilation.
http://www.autospeed.com/A_2159/cms/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2160/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2162
These are quick and easy to understand articles in which he tries a variety of different sized vents and underbody trays/spoilers. He concluded that a smaller lip was better than a larger one in terms of functionality. This is not based on looks so don't be mislead.
Anyway, regardless, I'd be interested in what you can come up with. I would be curious of the weight though as a thick piece of urethane could be heavy?
Old 10-13-2007, 07:33 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My AIR splitter has actually held up very well for the 6 years, a few splits but nothing bad, urethane would be nice in a style like this.

Would urethane be much heaver ?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a great idea. I may be interested dependent on pricing!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IN
Old 10-13-2007, 07:59 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

Urethane is a bit heavier than fiberglass, but not by much. it's basically a plastic.... it would be pretty simmilar to the front bumper, but more flexable.

I saw a great video of some guys testing a urethane front bumper for a 300zx. They practically tied it in a knot, and pulled the two ends over each other. then they put it on the ground, so that the face of it was upwards, and one guy stood on it. it was fine. I also had urethane side skirts on my Z... someone forgot to remove a wheel chalk when pulling it off the dyno, and they drove the whole side skirt over the wheel chalk, so that the car was actually suspended on the skirt itself. the paint was a little cracked, but no damage to the part itself. urethane is god.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

urethane is the way to go. I am in
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

this is good idea I was planning on fabbing my own with a damaged AIR and fix it for the mold
Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I would love to see the AIR style splitter in urethane. I've seen too many cracks in the FG version and urethane with the right flexible primer would resist chips better. I could even live with a black urethane splitter if it mounted at the rear like the OE batwing. If the price is right count me in.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Liked my idea in the other thread? I'm in for two for sure, possibly a third. I can get a hold of an AIR spoiler if you need it for measurements, etc...

A possible alternative would be to design one that works in conjunction with the factory batwing. That should make it easier to mount (sandwich between the bumper cover and the batwing for the top leading edge, and attach to the botton just ahead of the air relief in the batwing), lighter, easier to manufacture AND ship. We should also be able to give it better aero flow than the AIR unit, which is a flat surface on teh bottom from what I recall, and doesn't work as well as the bat wing (this is really splitting hairs, as I doubt it would have any real world effect, but hey, why not at least mention it? lol).

Ping me if you want, I've worked on this idea a bit.

Regards,

Quick Reply: gauging intrest: urethane AIR style splitter