Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Duall BB GT30 custom install phase I finished. PHASE II

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duall BB GT30 custom install. COMPLETE.

First. It just doesn't bolt to the stock oil drain/mount. The stock one is for the larger cartridges. The Dual BB cartridge is alot smaller and less room between the Turbine and Compressor housing. Major trouble. I had a choice. Grind the hell out of the stock mount. Make an adapter. I should probably had done both. but Grinding the Stock mount makes for more labor. Removal. Grinding, etc. Compressor is larger also, but I'll get back to that. This isn't a "I know how to do this" this is more of a here's where I'm at even if it doesn't work. It will work in the end, but you'll all be able to have some foresight on what NOT to do if certain things don't work.
I made a mount. This way solved two problems. Clearly it connects it to the car, and the other advantage was that it left clearance on the bottom side of the turbo so the compressor and turbine dont bottom out due to their larger size and shorter center cartridge. It had to have two plates. One to bolt to the bottom and one that fits and mounts to the turbo. (Very skinny) So I cut the bottom plate out and of a strip of steel. It didn't have to be the exact shape of the stock mount. just be able to match the stock bolt holes - thread them, and make sure the oil drain hole matches up. The Duall BB uses much less oil via a restrictor on the inlet and therefore, doesn't need much of an escape route. Here's a picture of the crude bottom part of the adaptor right before I threaded the holes so it would be a simple bolt in procedure.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-10-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:01 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Then I made another flange to match the Turbo oil drain. I tied them together with a piece of chromoly tubing with a very thick wall. Since it has to hold the weight of the turbo and bit of the up-pipe and exhaust. I made it as short as possible since I know the clearance on the intake is going to be impossible. This compressor housing is a little bigger than the 60-1Hi Fi turbo that was on there before. But that's later. Like next week later.

it also had to be tall enough to fit the bolts. Slots in the side helped decrease the height and still let me put bolts in there without making the bolts a permanet part of this piece.

I test fit it and it had to be even skinnier on the turbine side to accomodate the turbine housing bolt heads. So, I sanded it down on each side. More so on the Turbine side as needed. Belt sanded both sides for flatness. Then painted it. here is what it turned out to be.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-30-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what does the oil drain look like?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I can now bolt the turbo to the mount. Fits great. But. as you can see from the picture, the bolt notch on top of the compressor housing is in exactly the WRONG place. making clearance even more difficult. I'm not even sure extreme angle crinding on both the compressor and intake are going to cure clearance issues. A spacer may be the only option for the stock intake. We'll see after extensive grinding and moving the throttle spring mounting poinsts.
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 AM
95ONE
Race Car

So that's just the beginning. It needs oil. So I need to route the oil line, but that's just a simple 90 or banjo with a 3 AN line. basically, nothing to make custom. Just buy the right Fittings and put them together. Kinda the same For the Coolant. I'll cover these morein depth later.

The Turbine side needs the up pipe. But, I need to know how to route it. So I must first make the Down pipe. With this crazy turbine. The exhaust side is extended with a smooth expansion to a true 3" exhaust. not much room left. So, A short radius smooth flowing 90 will solve the problem. I have yet to recieve the flanges for the T-3 and the 4 bolt Downpipe flange. So, I'll have to go into that a little later.

I also have to make an up pipe. But honestly, the stock one is disgustingly small. I have cut up the stock one and expanded it in the first part. (Right past the Wastegate.) and will continue on with a 2.5" Stainless piece. I'm still waiting to finish to the downpipe to Complete this, but it will be a nicer piece and should free up alot of top end power. You'll probably agree when you see the size differences below and think that we're asking that stock oval guy to cary ALOT of flow for cars above 300 to the wheels. I of course plan on a little more than 400 efficiently. So, enlarging the up-pipe is an important part to this build. V-band two piece Crossover is a given. More to come on these later.
Attached Images     
Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cory9584
what does the oil drain look like?
Since it's using the stock mount. It is still the stock oil drain line and banjo.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice work

I am in progress on my hoopty too.

I am curious as to your thoughts about losing pressure going to the larger crossover. I was worried about extnding the lagtime.

I was thinking about doing something similiar but only down to the turn. I decided to just go ahead and chop it about 3" up from the O2 sensor and I am about ready to have the flange finally done. I felt that keeping the pressure up to a degree would be better for my turbo as it is using a .58 t4 turbine. Hopefully it all will work out ok. the 3" downpipe ended up being relatively easy using a 4 bolt (large) outlet and a v band just below where the stock connection was.

The biggest problem I have had so far is to get the turbo up enough to clear the bigass exhaust outlet. I should have just went ahead and got a different turbine housing that uses a v band but I't's here and paid for so f' it I'll make it work. The oil line is going to be tight though. I am also eliminating the water so that makes it a bit more of a hassle but not too bad.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other quick idea that i did that you may want to look at is to drill teh mounting holes out a little. I was surprised at how much extra clearance (exhaust) i had when I did this. It doesn't really pose a prblem for the drain hole considering the diffence int the diameter. It also makes teh long bolt a bit easier to deal with.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Excellently detailed writeup!! This is what this forum needs more of.

Keep up the good work 95ONE
Old 10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I'm at a similar stage with my gt35vgt I made a engine mount this allowed me to move the turbo forward and down and rotate it and position just right , you should do the same it is paying off now i'm doing the crossover
. just wish i could get 3.5 inch past the starter motor .
Big cross over??? maybe make the secondaries longer mine are going across to the other side .I also considered putting the turbo in the AC position and crossover going under the engine mount and 3" over the engine mount .

Will you be able to rotate the rear housing so the turbine inlet is facing down ??
3076 or 3082 ???

Looks great can't wait to see your next step
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

good writeup!

my tialsport GT30R 0.82 v-band arrives next week! so soon I will be batteling the same problems, appreciate the sharing.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude - very nice work, but why the small turbo when you like the 1/4??
Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 AM
eniac
Drifting

I have to say that the Dewalt right angle grinder might be the best tool I bought so far for adding aftermarket parts to my car. Thanks to that my alternator and left motor/turbo mount are about 1/3 the size they used to be. I had the same issue with a different turbo I used to have on my car, the center section was just too small. Luckily I was able to grind the mount down enough(and some of the turbo) to squeeze it over. The next turbo I get I will mostly likely remve that mount completely and use a n/a mount. Then I will just make an entirely new mount for the turbo....if it even needs one.

For the oil line I would suggest buying or copying the Lindsey oil line kit w/ filter. I bought my kit from them as it came with everything plus plenty of extra SS hose. The nice part is the banjo fitting off the balance cover that allows much more room then a 90' fitting would. The end feeding into the turbo came with a 45' angle fitting which that and the extra hose allowed me to route the line behind the intake along the firewall and back up around the master cylinder into the turbo.

For now all I have is a pic of the filter assembly but you can get an idea how I routed the line.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944
One other quick idea that i did that you may want to look at is to drill teh mounting holes out a little. I was surprised at how much extra clearance (exhaust) i had when I did this. It doesn't really pose a prblem for the drain hole considering the diffence int the diameter. It also makes teh long bolt a bit easier to deal with.
Since I have wiggle room on the top and bottom flanges (Mount I made) I was able to angle the turbo as much as it would go. The turbine housing doesn't let the turbo angle much. It bumps up against the mount. But honestly it is plenty far enoughto clear the oil feed now. So no need to do anything further there.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 951Boost
Excellently detailed writeup!! This is what this forum needs more of.

Keep up the good work 95ONE
I appreciate that! I have lots more to write, as this is a three part deal.

Quick Reply: Duall BB GT30 custom install phase I finished. PHASE II