Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
Porsches actually break
DSMs break also but not just halfshafts and trans
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

good luck with your project and put up some pictures of your car when you get the chance
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
kiyoskia

I wasn't really looking to save weight on the intake manifold...I just thought it would go nicely with the "carbon fiber" theme of my car. To explain my theme best, all I can say is this:

Have you noticed how Porsches (and other makes) nowadays are being made more and more carbon fiber body parts? Well, I'm taking an old-school Porsche and modernizing it with carbon fiber parts. The previous owner of the car took great care of the car, and whenever anything needed to be done to the car, the work and parts used were above and beyond OEM quality. As it sits, the car has 166,000 miles on it, but practically all the parts have low mileage. The way I look at it, I already have a well-built, well-maintained, beautifully-aged Porsche, and since I don't really NEED to make it run faster or better, I decided to do the "CF Upgrade".

Anyway, when it comes to intake manifolds, would you recomment SFRacing's or LindseyRacing's intake manifold? SF's has a big plenum whereas LR's seems more "to the point", not to mention it doesn't have a big plenum sitting right above the turbo.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
kiyoskia

The 4G63 (Eclipse Turbo) engine is a beautiful engine capable of amazing numbers. The only thing you have to do to make more power out of a 4G63 motor is look at it the wrong way.

Lots of "tunerz" also know about this fact, and have driven the reputation of the DSM world into the ground because they know they can make lots of power for little money. Unfortunately, though, this "save a buck" mentality doesn't benefit them for very long.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
Anyway, when it comes to intake manifolds, would you recomment SFRacing's or LindseyRacing's intake manifold?

Thoughts?
Save your money, the stock manifold can out flow your head and most ported heads.. Change your TB, IC pipes and IC. Port the head and get a GOOD cam.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Save your money, the stock manifold can out flow your head and most ported heads.. Change your TB, IC pipes and IC. Port the head and get a GOOD cam.

I agree, under 7,000 definitely.

Even a blind chicken catches some scratch, once in a while, Dave.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
I agree, under 7,000 definitely.

Even a blind chicken catches some scratch, once in a while, Dave.
what options are there available for a decent TB especially for me ST?

Last edited by TRP951; 01-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
kiyoskia

The reason I'm so interested in changing the intake manifold (other than the "intake-plenum-over-the-turbo" design flaw) is because of what I read at Lindsey Racing's site:

The stock intake manifold not only has inadequate flow when you port your cylinder head, it also has a 10% imbalance between the cylinders. The stock 951 intake flows between 206 CFM @ 28" on the first runner to 186 CFM on the third. Cylinders 2 and 4 flow between these numbers. The only way to ensure all your cylinders are running at the same air fuel ratios is to deliver identical air and fuel to each one.

Also, from what I've read, there is no need for a bigger throttle body. Lindsey Racing says:

"Increasing the throttle body size does nothing for you and may in fact hurt the performance. The one area where bigger is not always better. Don't be fooled by larger throttle body hype. If we needed one, we would have installed one."
Old 01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

A Large TB does nothing, unless you have everything after it to warrant the need for one.

I have a friend with a honda prelude that put like a 76mm on his car!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiyoskia
I guess I'll stick to a Lindsey Racing intake manifold. It looks a little more uniform, anyway, and costs about 80% less. Besides...I've been thinking about having polished metal under the hood anyway, seeing all the polished goodies available.

A question. Do you want to make torque with this engine or is it just for show?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
kiyoskia

< laughed a little, then cried a little after he read about ^^'s friend...the poor bastard never had a chance.

The car has lots of new parts already (and runs like a dream), so I don't really feel like messing with the engine too much...just a little piping here and there...perhaps some new hood liners...and maybe even a polished coolant tank.

Of course I want torque with this engine! Don't get me wrong...this is NOT a show car. It's just a VERY well-built, VERY well-maintained, and basically VERY clean car, inside and out...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 PM
eniac
Drifting

I agree with you on the manifold over the turbo issue. That has always plagued me but not because of the heat(my turbo is wrapped so heat is minimal). The biggest issue I have is the limitation on turbo size since I am completely out of room under there with my 60-1. Anyone remember SFR's old intake manifold design? The one that reversed the flow on the IC to what appeared to be a more efficient design. This also moved the intake from over the turbo to going straight down the center. What ever happened to that design? Was it faulty? A design similar to that would be the only aftermarket intake I would spend my money on.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM
kiyoskia

As I'm used to DSM's, I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to the limitations of the 951 engine bay.

What turbos do 951's tend to "like"? (Hondas tend to like T3/T4's, Mitsus tend to like T-25, 16g and 20g, etc.)
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Dave Lindsey is right about the inbalance in the runners of the stock manifold. But Porsche did not do this by accident.
If you are looking to get high HP high up the rev range then go for short runners a la Lindsey, they certainly do the job well. However if you want more low end grunt Speedforce can make you a manifold with longer runners and velocity stacks that will really help build low end torque (I bought one) As for the barrell throttles on the JME manifold....... WOW !! And I bet they are efficient! I can't just see $4500 worth of efficiency for me
Old 01-24-2008, 06:07 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
A Large TB does nothing, unless you have everything after it to warrant the need for one.

I have a friend with a honda prelude that put like a 76mm on his car!
Wanna bet?

We are talking turbocharged cars not n/a motors. Thats a big difference..

Unless you went to a TB and it was to big, you absolutely will gain performance! Its a proven fact, not internet bench racing.

Changing the TB, IC pipes and IC makes a huge difference on a car with a larger turbo.

Quick Reply: Milledge CF Intake Manifold