Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

maybe buying a 951.... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
deutschbag
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe buying a 951.... advice?

I am looking at a locally listed 951 and have a few questions. I have fantasized about a 944 or 951 for quite some time now but thought to delay taking the plunge until I get a decent job. My Accord has been treating me well thus far, being the workhorse it is.

In any case, I found a listing for a local 951 and the owner is interested in trading for my car (fishy? understandable?). This brings up questions. The 951 is an 86 with 117K. He claims he is the 4th owner and records go back "to the late 80's. Not as recently however." He also mentioned that he has been having a high oil pressure problem recently and simply doesnt have the interest or time to figure it out.

So my questions:
-Should the oil pressure keep me away completely or is it worth putting down a deposit and taking it to a mechanic?
-If maintenance records are decent and a mechanic gives it the okay, is it reliable enough to be a daily in the event I unload the little Honda that could? I commute to work by public transit but do need a car that is reliable enough that it could be driven every day.
-Is the mileage too high to be a reliable car? I wanted a car under 100K, but I know from playing with VWs and Audis that some of these German cars run forever if taken care of.
-From your experience, should I wait out the impulse and look for a different car that gets me what I want (fun, handling, decent reliability, and those beautiful lines) that may come in the form of a better example of a 951 or a 944s or s2.
-Any options that are totally worth looking out for?
-I like working on cars. I've worked on a mk4 gti in college and help out a bit with my bro's audi 225. Is this car impossible to work on? I've heard mixed things.
-Lastly, the car is listed to be yellow. I can tell from the vin that it is indeed an 86, but all my searching indicates that the 944/951 wasn't available in this color in 86.

Sorry for the crazy amount of questions. I just really want to make an educated decision that I wont regret later and I do not want to waste this guy's time. I would rather take my time and get something good than impulsively get a lemon (pun about it being yellow def. intended). My goals--a beautiful car that I can enjoy more than i regret and maybe even do some light mods to in the future without going into the poor house.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

- these cars can be reliable enough to drive everyday- even in snow! however they are over 20 years old so if they are not- and have not- been properly maintained you can have a real snowball of problems or a nice car w/ none.

-DEFINITLY have a pre purchase inspection done and have someone do it that will do a good job not someone who has no idea what a 944 is.

-Miles on that car are nothing if its in good shape/ taken care of. Definitly make sure its had or gets a timing belt/waterpump in the near future.

-i would say if you could figure out how to keep your accord and drive the 944 as a second car you'd be much happier. Ive always had a beater or second car and i never stress if i have problems w/ the 944. If i was driving it every day i would prob. be pretty stressed out - my car is always apart but moreso for improvments than repairs. That and most parts need to be ordered for these cars and it takes a few days to get the parts so in the meantime you'd be taking the bus to work.

-they say look for the best/newest porsche you can afford and in most cases that is good advice. Depends on what your looking for from your car. If you want a daily driver then yes the newest one would be best. Do a search there are a ton of threads like this one - even recent- about which years etc are best and alot of varying opinions. I like my 86 but i dont need airbags or surround sound out on the track.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:37 PM
deutschbag
4th Gear

I appreciate the input. Sorry to post a thread up that may have been tangentially addressed before, I just wanted to reconfirm what I have gathered from all over the place. Looking at the car this weekend. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Have owned a few 944/951 and as much as I like them I must say........ there is no way I would ever have one as my only primary transportation.... EVER!

You will grow to hate it if you have to depend on it. Why do you think this guy is happy to swap for a reliable Accord.

These cars are getting old. Even the best cared for and maintained cars frequently have issues. If you are not very mechanically inclined, then don't even consider it.

On the other hand - if this is a secondary vehicle I say go for it!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Concur wholeheartedly with everthing that has been said. Have a 944 N/A and a 951 and still depend on the Subaru for daily transportation - mostly due to snow 6 months of the year and my desire not subject the cars to salt - and people who refuse to invest in snow tires and slide through intersections....
Old 02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your daily driving needs. If you are just doing a few miles each day locally I'd have no problem driving mine daily. I'd still get a beater for bad weather though. Of course if I didn't a car at all I'd probably get a daily beater first and make it reliable before messing with a Porsche.

951, NA, S or S2 doesn't really matter for everyday use. Just get the best example of either one that you can afford and get the maintenance up to date.

Love your screen name btw!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Have owned a few 944/951 and as much as I like them I must say........ there is no way I would ever have one as my only primary transportation.... EVER!

You will grow to hate it if you have to depend on it. Why do you think this guy is happy to swap for a reliable Accord.
I respectfully disagree. My 924S was my high school/college car, and is currently my winter DD. aside from a few issues (1 of them major- spun bearing) it was perfect. again, stay on top of maintenance, take good care of it, and it'll do just fine.

My turbo, within 6 months of purchase, I had to do a clutch job and a turbo replacement. since then, it's been minor sh*t that breaks. like the door lock mechanism on the driver's side, or the exhaust tip. cheap, easy fixes that in the long run don't mean sh*t as far as getting you from point A to point B. The clutch is a normal wear item, and the turbo was a fluke from the PO running an incorrectly sized air filter.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:04 PM
bscpanther
Racer

I think if you have a 951 that you use as a DD and you call it reliable then
a) you don't have experience with reliable cars, or
b) you are the exception
I enjoy having my 951 and I maintain it meticulously, even still if I had to rely on it I would be finished. The large majority of owners that are not in denial agree with this all day long. On the other hand I think the majority of owners also understand that the 951 is a 20+ year old performance vehicle, what else would you expect.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
deutschbag
4th Gear

Thanks much for all the input. The more I think about it, the more I want to keep my Honda. Just got back from errands and I think I will forever hate myself if i get rid of a car that starts right up despite a coolant leak and runs all day long (fixing tomorrow). There'll always be great cars to buy and if my interviews next week go well, I can get something more ideal. And knowing me I'd want to learn as much as possible about the car, meaning it will always be in pieces while I do one thing or another.

Is a timing belt change or tensioning beyond the realm of possibility for someone who has tools, instructions and patience? I'm no where near mechanic level experience, but I am not mechanically inept either.

The thing that I still wonder about is the color. It was what first caught my eye, but I still cant find proof anywhere that 944s came in yellow in 86. Guy said it was never resprayed.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I too am on the hunt for a 944. I have looked at early non turbo thru the late turbos. I am now building a 911 engine and have flown and raced my own engines, BUT, I dont think I am smart enough to own a trubo and fix it myself, and I am not rich enough to pay for some one else fixin it. You can buy a fairly nice early 944 with recent water pump and timing belts for $3000 or so. If your job is important in your life KEEP the HONDA. YOu can use the 944 as a learning platform to advance to something more upscale in the 944 world and still keep your job with a car that will get you there and back.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Ewok
Advanced

Decide which one you like more: Fuchs, or ABS.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ewok
Decide which one you like more: Fuchs, or ABS.
No question
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bscpanther
I think if you have a 951 that you use as a DD and you call it reliable then
a) you don't have experience with reliable cars, or
b) you are the exception
I enjoy having my 951 and I maintain it meticulously, even still if I had to rely on it I would be finished. The large majority of owners that are not in denial agree with this all day long. On the other hand I think the majority of owners also understand that the 951 is a 20+ year old performance vehicle, what else would you expect.
then consider me the exception. it's been great.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't HRE make a Fuchs look-alike? I think it's the 611. I wonder if it fits late or early offset.

For me it's a toss-up between Fuchs and Club Sports. Depends on the car color.

In general the best advice I can give is to take your time, and buy the best example you can find. The one with good maintenance, owned by a non-dumbass, that will not need work. And you can't always trust carfax, just fyi.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Fuchs make the world go round
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: maybe buying a 951.... advice?