Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone familiar with this blow off valve on ebaymotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bcspanther - not comparable.

In regards to these knock offs
Who is the manufacturer, what tooling cycles, what quality control, what is the raw materials quality, what testing is done, proven performance, longevity etc, etc,etc

nobody knows and every single unit it potentially different than the next.
In my world those are the traits of junk
Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Wraith1027
Instructor

Can you support those claims with the name brand? Other than what they, the Mfg, has told you and the reports from those that have used it, I doubt any of the things you hold dear as quality markers can be substantiated. In other words, can you answer your own questions with regards to the name brand? Not trying to stir it up , but it seems that these guys may have found a good reliable alternative while saving a few bucks and you are raking their desicion and the product over the coals with no real basis other than to promote your unwavering bias for certain Mfg. Is this a stock option manuver?

Last edited by Wraith1027; 02-13-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
2bridges
Drifting

HAHAHHHAA
Only one man's sincere opinion.

But yes in fact most if not all of those details are available for top manufactures.
Forge and Tial are long standing performance part companies. They have a vested interest to produce a high quality, reliable part that performs every time.

The knock of manufactures have no reason to even care..... you cannot even identify manufacturer in most cases. Hell you can't even identify where parts have actually been manufactured. Do you have any idea the quality issues with Chinese steel in the current marketplace??

It is beyond me how anybody who is being objective could come the the conclusion the products are comparable. Clearly they are not, hence the term "knock off"

Same applies to wheels, body parts, etc,etc you have no assurance of anything with knock off parts except they are NOT genuine in quality or any other respect.

Last edited by 2bridges; 02-13-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with 2bridges here. Normally tolerances and process control are much better on name brand products like this (the pharm. industry doesn't count because it's the law that generics be the same as the name brand).
These types of things coming from the land of the rising knock off, normally have one driving KPI(key performance indicator). Cost! In their eyes, the cheaper the better.

Let’s use the valve with o-rings as an example.
Are they Buna-n or Viton?
Does the supplier provide a consistent durometer batch to batch?
Are they ozone resistant?
Will they perform in a wide variety of temperatures?
Are they compatible with petroleum in the vapor they will be exposed to?

Do you think they really look at these types of things? The name brand companies will address things like this; after all they're name brand. They have to keep up the image of their name as being a quality product. Then what's the motivation of the no name company? Do you think they really look at these types of things?

The no namers will make decisions based more on the bottom line. They will look at things like this:
o-ring A: Correct material, supplier is consistent = $1000(USD) per 50,000 units
o-ring B: Correct material, supplier is consistent = $950(USD) per 50,000 units
o-ring C: Acceptable material, supplier is consistent = $850(USD) per 50,000 units
o-ring D: Acceptable material, supplier is questionable = $840(USD) per 50,000 units
o-ring E: It fits in the groove and is made of "rubber", supplier’s quality control....Huh? What's six sigma? = $790(USD) per 50,000 units

No name will use 0-ring "E" to save $0.0032 per (yes, that 32 ten thousandth of a dollar) o-ring over the correct part from a good manufacturer.

My example is a little extreme, but it holds true to how the no name stuff is made and brought to market at such a low price.

OK, rant from the manufacturing front lines off
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

still debating ebay one for 55 or lindseyracing one for 118-

if it was closer I would go with lindsey racing but man this is a tough call

thanks for all the input and spirited discussion
Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
bscpanther
Racer

ok bridges and fortysix2, even if I did agree with you're reasoning you're arguement is a lot harder to swallow than mine. All I'm saying is that there is a possibiltiy that the EXACT SAME quality of product can be (and is in this case) marketed for a lesser price. You on the other hand are saying "ONLY brand name because it's better, period!" ( I paraphrased that for you). For the most part I agree with you, alot of the times, especially with our car, you will get a better product if you go by the name HOWEVER i do not live and die by that standardization. Point is there are plenty of generic products available of the same caliber for less money even though not necessarily in this market. If you're wise and open minded you can have the same thing and save a few bucks.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah sometimes a knock off company will replicate the product for cheaper just because they didnt have to spend the money on product development/advertising and overhead. It is possible. I like name brand manufacturers because they have cool stickers.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Forge Motorsport
Track Day

Bit late to this but just my 10C
The valve in the ebay add is a well known knock off made in China
we have several here returned to us by owners who thought they were buying a Forge , the O rings used were not / are not viton and had disentegrated and had " disappeared " you work out where to .
The piston showed excess wear and had " swarf" alumininum particles inside

We couldnt help them .... The Forge valves are guaranteed forlife , period.. any issues call us or the dealer .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much you lose a little money, that's is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything,

because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing

you bought it to do. The common law of business balance

prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done.

If you deal with the lower pricing seller, it's well to add something

for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough

to pay for a better service and product
Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Acetylene
Pro

^^^^ Agreed
Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
eniac
Drifting

I'll repeat what I posted earlier in a different way to help clarify my reasoning on this.

When you buy cheap knock-offs, plan on it as you are buying just an empty housing. Many of these use the same dimensions as the name brand they are copying. Often you can buy the name brand seals, diaphragms and replace all the guts. You will end up with essentially the same thing at much less cost.

For those that do not want to go through this hassle then simply buy the name brand part. Do not expect a cheap knock-off to work just as well out of the box.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Forge FTW!

as seen in sig.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Opeth
Pro

Exclamation hmmm

12 psi ? Use top shelf stuff get top shelf results
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
still debating ebay one for 55 or lindseyracing one for 118-

if it was closer I would go with lindsey racing but man this is a tough call

thanks for all the input and spirited discussion
You're basing this over $63??? Don't even think about it. Sure if it was $500 different, but not $63.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Bosch 108/110/114?

A noob question about Bosch diverter valves. Which of these bypass valves are you guys using, either OEM or aftermarket replacement?

- Bosch 0 280 142 108
- Bosch 0 280 142 110
- Bosch 0 280 142 114

As far as substance goes, is there any reason to prefer anything to a new, fully functional Bosch 0 280 142 110?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with this blow off valve on ebaymotors?