Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB low low mile turbo...anyone have any leads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

anyone else have any leads? thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

you might want to post the reasons why you have thrown out the suggested cars.
Too far away, not nice enough??
For my money, I would be looking into the white car that ski posted.. "reasonable" price, and it looks NICE... and you won't de-value it much by driving it.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

I didnt mention that white was not my color...that is why white is out of the question. I liked the tan one but not low miles enough...

People are not selling as much this year as in the past year...I thought people would be more inclined.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
JE_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was a low milage car in hemmings motor news. I will pic up the issua later and look for it. I think it was either in the 20's or 30's for miles (thousand). Not sure on color.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

thanks JE_951!!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Tms951
Pro

I have followed this thread with some facination. You want to drive the car, but it has to a collectors car amount of miles on it. Why? I can completely understand wanting a perfect car, but what does how many miles it has on it really make a difference. Almost everybody agrees the best car is going to have more miles on it than you are looking for, a car that has been maintaned, not one with such low miles nothing has everbeen done to it. A car that is almost 20 years old with low miles has wear on from sitting, rubber does not last that long just sitting. If you want an all original car that you are not going to drive and put in a collection it sounds you are looking in the right direction. But you indicate you want a weekend driver. What exactly are you looking for and why?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

Apologies for not being clear...I want pristine example where I can mod it and drive it and also baby it. I want the leather in new condition...smells new. I want to be able to do the mods from stock on my own.

Sorry I'm being difficult...

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 1985ruf
Apologies for not being clear...I want pristine example where I can mod it and drive it and also baby it. I want the leather in new condition...smells new. I want to be able to do the mods from stock on my own.

Sorry I'm being difficult...

Thanks again,
Jim
Don't you think a car like what yo are looking for is more of collecters quality and shouldn't be modded. I still don't see why you want the low miles. We are not sugesting you buy a mdded car as much as buy a maintained car in driving condition. Do you simply want low miles for the fact that it has low miles?, because every thing else can be had with a car that has more miles and cost less.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 AM
bigred1001
Pro

Low miles usually equals more work. I found mine 2 years ago w/ 38k orig miles. One owner car that the owner did nothing to. Just let it sit. 8k dollars in various services later, It runs terrific.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Take it from me, I have owned several 20 yr old cars with less than 10,000 miles on the clock. the last one was a White Countach anniversary with 6200 miles. It cost me nearly £20,000 or if you prefer $40,000 just to get the car roadworthy. You are buying trouble as a car with that miles is going to require new bushes wheel bearings and probably brakes. Then on the engine side it will not be prime for mods without a strip and rebuild. I can understand your sentiments wanting avery low milage car, and yes its good fro bragging rights in the bar. But thats where it ends. If you want a minter join PCNA and buy a concours car. If you want a modified car, there are plenty that have been done to a very high standard that will cost you a lot less than doing it yourself. And as for clean interiors, spend $5k and get it renewed to your own spec.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tms951
Don't you think a car like what yo are looking for is more of collecters quality and shouldn't be modded. I still don't see why you want the low miles. We are not sugesting you buy a mdded car as much as buy a maintained car in driving condition. Do you simply want low miles for the fact that it has low miles?, because every thing else can be had with a car that has more miles and cost less.
+1.

don't get me wrong, i like messing with my car and all (very minor to date), but it is/was a daily driver. why buy a pristine, almost-new car and then **** it up by messing with it? as everyone else has said, you're paying a huge premium for an attribute that you're just going to destroy anyway. collectors would be horrified - it's akin to some amateur artist buying a rembrandt to paint over because, 'i want canvas, and it has to be 17th century canvas!'. well, maybe i exaggerate a little .
Old 03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
1985ruf
Rennlist Member

haha...I am not going to destroy it when I mod it with small twin turbos. I dont mind getting the car to driving condition but hopefully the previous owner kept in good working order. I'm still goin to baby it.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by 1985ruf
haha...I am not going to destroy it when I mod it with small twin turbos. I dont mind getting the car to driving condition but hopefully the previous owner kept in good working order. I'm still goin to baby it.
The only car I have pics of with small twin turbos had to stand up the engine and cut a whole in the hood so it could close. It was done by a top german tuner. Do you relisticly have any idea what puting twin turbos on it will consist of? you will replace everything but the tall block. And with the amount of money you will dump you should most likely rebuild the engine any way.

The more and more you post the more and more I cease to understand where you are coming from and what you want. And WHY?

So once again, since it is a bad aidea and not a good one, WHY the obsession with such low miles?

I have done less work to my engine than you plan on, I bought a car with the engine out and apart. I did this knowing how much work I was going to do ad it made the most sense. The car had over 200k on the clock. It had a great maintance record and a very good body. For the type of car I have put to gether it is about as close to a new car as you car get.

A little food for thought, with the amount of money you would spend to get what you want, low miles twin turbo, you could buy a new GT3. Which would actualy be a collecters car at some point.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Tms i actually agree with you.

may be a 951 is not a car for you. Did you know tt supras upgrade to a single turbo and the same as a tt RX7
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

1985ruf, let me be the first to ask - buy a membership to Rennlist. It's $17.95 annually.

If nothing else, you've received $17.95 worth of advice, even if you have not found your $50,000.00 low mileage, NO RED 951

Quick Reply: WTB low low mile turbo...anyone have any leads?