Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Got my 2.7 big bore!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

We have nearly three stations here, so I am full bore. Just mocked up a HUGE tank in cardboard to see how big I could go.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're selling E85 in west LA now?!?! Sweet. Only 30 miles from me. Looks like my 951 will be going E85 sooner than I thought.

http://www.conservfuel.com/

Its currently $3.98/gal compared to ~$4.75/gal for 91 urine-water. Granted, I'll need 30% more fuel to go the same distance as a gallon of E10, but its still nice to know that there wouldn't be much of a cost hit for the extra octane/mile.

Brian, your project is looking amazing as usual. Top notch work man, good job.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
Brian, your project is looking amazing as usual. Top notch work man, good job.
Thanks! Now finish your car
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the o/t, i'm planning on testing various injectors soon. advice/comments appreciated. thread here;
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/380101-bigger-injectors-advice.html
Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fuel injector wiring, all setup for sequential down the road.

Cruise control wiring.

The firewall plate.

Wires galore

Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

A quick test fit with the hood on to make sure im not going to bust off the cam sensor the first time I drop the hood

My headers were busted to **** and leaked like a sieve. Amazing the K26/6 held 16PSI to redline even tho the bellows were cracked and there were big cracks at all the ports Got a local shop to fix them up.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian, it looks like you are making some progress. But you got the engine back on 5/4/08 and it's not done yet? This project is taking waaaay to long, get it done already!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Brian, it looks like you are making some progress. But you got the engine back on 5/4/08 and it's not done yet? This project is taking waaaay to long, get it done already!

I know But I travel for work, so that gets in the way a lot Engine goes back in this friday with the headers and crossover and stuff on, then ive just gotta finish the wiring, install the MegaSquirt, do all the cooling stuff then I can start it. Then its just suspension and brakes and all that. I think by Sept 1 or so itll be on the road for tuning... Fingers crossed
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Best DIY standalone wiring job I've seen. You're spending the money saved by using a MS in the right place man. Great job.

Rolex, you don't want to know how many YEARS my 2.7L engine has been sitting in a box. The dust will be blown off everything soon...
Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well engine is officially in for the final time. I took it out to do the headers/crossover.

Before anyone asks, the pegboard on the floor is because I sit the engine on an old upside down bath mat, then it slides really easily on the smooth pegboard. The board is also nice to lay on

Starting on the last of the wiring, the connectors and cutting things to length.

Cam sensor, a $22 hall sensor

Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here you can see my solution to the stupid stock clutch hose design.... Braided AN hoses that are DOT certified. These will made for the easiest clutch bleeding ever, because ill be able to unbolt the slave cylinder, wiggle it up past the bell housing, and hold it up in the air above the master cylinder. Bubbles will rise and ill be done bleeding before my tea gets cold.

Ill post more pics later, but theres no fitment issues even with that 90 degree angle.

Now for the good bits.... All done except for the bullet connector for the turbo temp switch. All new harness made of MilSpec Tefzel (teflon covered) wire good to 150C and quite strong. Its covered in DR25 heatshrink which is VERY tough, fuel and oil resistant, and nice and thick. Most of the connectors are weather sealed as well. Theres shielded Tefzel wire for the speed/ref and knock sensor as well. The firewall connector is a Deutsch Autosport (used in racing) and theres a smaller on for the fuel rail.

There are so many wires compared to stock because I have the boost control solenoid, fuel pressure sender, wires for future oil temp sensors, three intake air temp sensors (one in the intake pipe pre turbo, one that ill be post turbo but pre IC, and one right before the throttlebody). Theres also the MAP sensor (3 bar GM unit) and extra wires for misc other stuff (main plans are water injection solenoids, temp sensors to test different cool stuff, and another MAP sensor for some fun backpressure logging). Add in stock stuff like the oil pressure sender, coolant temp sensors, TPS, etc. Oh and theres a connector for the wideband O2 sensor. Last pic shows the wiring thats inside the car.

Engine in, most of the coolant hoses on, radiator installed.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absofreakinlutely beautifull!! I wish I had patience for wiring. The ONLY thing I loath!! I'm still waiting to finish my Zt-2 install!! I bow to your greatness!!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:53 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Awesome Brian. I'm assuming you're gonna use Tobin's new "Tuner Studio", right? Looks like a sweet merger of MegaTune and MSLVV's best features, and a really nice digital dash setup.

Post some videos once you're ready to fire it up!

Quick Reply: Got my 2.7 big bore!