Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone EMS - Idle fueling

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:55 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standalone EMS - Idle fueling

I am at the closing stages of setting up a Haltech E6k. The unit I have was originally on a 968 turbo w/85# injectors. So I have somewhat of a starting point.

I was hoping to be able to scale the map up based on injector size (I have stock 36# injectors), but the idle fueling is about 3ms.

If I scale that up based on injector size, I end up with 7ms of fuel at idle which seems high.

This website (http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcinjpulse.html) indicates that I need 1.5ms of fuel...which doesn't make sense either.

Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate an idle number or even better another full map to look at.

thanks,
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well its going to make a difference if youre running batch injection or sequential. Was that other 968 running sequential?. If the Haltech is going on the 968 in your sig, have you taken sequential vs batch into account? Which are you going to be running? Are you going to be running the same fuel pressure as the 968T?

Edit: All that being said, 3ms at idle on the other car still doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but those are some ideas.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I'll be running batch and the 968T was also running batch.

I'll be running 3 bar and I need to double check but I'm pretty sure the 968 runs 3.5bar from the factory and that's probably what it was running.

This'll be running a basically stock 951S engine with the stock 26/8, while it was running a turbo 968 motor before.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3ms is pretty small but it depends on the car and your main fuel values.. I run 9ms(batch) with 83lb injectors at 42lbs of pressure. Idle is rock solid but it depends on the engine. Some cars with cams, headwork etc.. all require different fuel settings. Use a wideband and see how the car reacts to your adjustments.

For an example, my car likes alot of fuel at idle. Probably more than a standard/stock'ish car.. I'm not sure what your running but, IMHO, I would scale it up and then adjust your main fuel map down..
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

I am running 1.95 to 2.12 ms with 72lb Siemens at 3 bar idle fuel pressure for 3 liter. This generally results in high 13 to mid 14 afrs depending on intake temps. Idle is at 50kpa and about 1000rpm. Keep in mind your displacement, idle vacumn, and rpm. Try one and with the haltech, you should be able to quickly adjust it to get idle afrs that work for your engine.

I edited the idle ms as the first ones I posted were from a higher Kpa cell. Evil 944t what afr's are you showing at idle? From what I have seen my car would be terribly rich at 9ms in batch mode even with only 72lb injectors.

Last edited by dand86951; 10-05-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been told, that often engines want to idle at a certain fuel value, not necessarily at a certain AF number. By pass idle air volume, Ignition timing, fuel value along with what Dave said all applies.
Get it to idle and forget he AF numbers.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dand86951
I edited the idle ms as the first ones I posted were from a higher Kpa cell. Evil 944t what afr's are you showing at idle? From what I have seen my car would be terribly rich at 9ms in batch mode even with only 72lb injectors.
My Link g3 has sell tuning a/f. If I let it self tune to 14.7, it will set the fuel table to run at 14.7, the car hates it.. It likes 12.8 and it likes some timing. So, I lock out that feature under 1k rpm's and set it myself. My car has a huge cam, high flowing head, headers, 3" ic pipes, large TB, flowed and matched intake runners and a 4" exhaust, huge fuel lines and custom rail with about f/p set to 42lbs.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

I am not too hung up on trying to achieve a specific AFR at idle, as evil944t said get a good idle with whatever setting it takes and then tune the rest of the power band to the AFR you want. Adrial was asking for some idle injector timings to compare to and as it is very evident from the differences between evil's engine and mine there is a wide disparity. The 1.5ms he got from RC might actually work for his engine.

Now if you have to pass emissions, then the AFR will be critical.

Adrial, let us know what works for your engine.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the numbers & tips, I'll keep you guys posted. 3ms sounds like a half decent place to start. Once I get it running, I should be able to get it tuned. I am mostly just worried about getting it fired up that first time. So far I have a good crank signal (120-180rpm w/no plugs in) and all the sensors are working. All thats left is to pick up a connector for the coil (MSD unit for a eagle talon) ... and see what happens.

I'm running a flying magnet trigger on the cam (4 magnets) w/batch fire injection and direct fire ignition. The E6k is from 2000 or so, so it can't do both direct fire ignition and sequential. For $500 w/sensors & harness it was hard to beat though. Of course I ended up redoing half the harness by the time I was done wiring it how I wanted it. I was thrilled to throw the stock harness in the garbage though... that thing has given me nothing but problems! Goodbye 1980's parts!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
Thanks for the numbers & tips, I'll keep you guys posted. 3ms sounds like a half decent place to start. Once I get it running, I should be able to get it tuned. I am mostly just worried about getting it fired up that first time. So far I have a good crank signal (120-180rpm w/no plugs in) and all the sensors are working. All thats left is to pick up a connector for the coil (MSD unit for a eagle talon) ... and see what happens.

I'm running a flying magnet trigger on the cam (4 magnets) w/batch fire injection and direct fire ignition. The E6k is from 2000 or so, so it can't do both direct fire ignition and sequential. For $500 w/sensors & harness it was hard to beat though. Of course I ended up redoing half the harness by the time I was done wiring it how I wanted it. I was thrilled to throw the stock harness in the garbage though... that thing has given me nothing but problems! Goodbye 1980's parts!
Yes, all engines are different so, let us know how you make out. Sounds like you got a good deal.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

9ms, holy crap - thats a lot!
With the Electromotive EMS, semi sequentail (like stock), 72lb injectors and 'normal' fuel pressures you will be in the 1.3 - 1.5ms range when warm (regardless of mods except displacement - unless you have a ton of cam overlap which would be odd in a turbo car).
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
9ms, holy crap - thats a lot!
With the Electromotive EMS, semi sequentail (like stock), 72lb injectors and 'normal' fuel pressures you will be in the 1.3 - 1.5ms range when warm (regardless of mods except displacement - unless you have a ton of cam overlap which would be odd in a turbo car).

Well, what your master is set at can be different. The other question is how high are your values on your main fuel page, mine are very low.

ie, I can run a low master and a high on the man fuel table or high master and low mains.. For what its worth, the car runs Very strong so, I can't complain about 9ms.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Evil, the TEC3 works on a overall fuel map and the idle cells are part of the whole map. So the rest of the map (main fuel table) is independent from idle. Additional idle modifications for startup inlet air temps etc are available but the basic map runs from whatever your min rpm is to your max rpm and from the lowest absolute manifold pressure your engine sees up to the max you expect to see. This is broken up in 16X16 cells and the ECU interpolates between the cells. So for idle at 900rpm and 50 kpa there is a fuel value. Then a completely independent value for say 3000rpm and 200kpa( 1 bar boost) at full throttle.

Sounds like your system works differently than the TEC3 so that may be a reason why your idle fuel settings are 9ms compared to those of a stock car and those like mine running a
TEC3. It is always interesting to see how different systems work. My engine also likes to idle slightly richer than 14.7 and is very happy in the 12.8 range, but I have it leaned out to 13.8 to 14.2.

Adrial, I am sure you will enjoy the flexibility of tuning when you get it up and running.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Hmm, good to know but, Yes, the Link G3 is way different, its pretty simple. Just off idle and off load, I use auto tune to bring all values to 14.7 but anything 1k and lower, it likes 12.8.

No doubt Adrial will love it. Stand alones are not for everyone but I love it.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

3.0 l engine 1000 cc injectors about 1 ms.
2.5 l engine 1000 cc injectors... hmm I need to check the logs of the Link to see the actual pulsewidth, be right back

BUT! another thing that hasn't been said yet is that depending on your ignition values at idle the pulsewidth will vary.

Quick Reply: Standalone EMS - Idle fueling