Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broken CV joints or broken ring and pinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken CV joints or broken ring and pinions?

Im am running DOT legal R comp tires, and I can easily shred one of my CV joints on a quick shift to 2nd gear (I am on number 4 so far, I forget not to do that now and then) Its actually really annoying...

I started breaking drive train components last year. After some upgrades, a fast shift into 2nd or 3rd gear at 18psi would just make long tire tracks(summer tires). Accelerating out of corners quickly was also difficult...long, controlled drifts were easy though. The decision was made to go to R compound tires. I would get traction in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, cornering was much faster. But I was breaking axles...Many listers told me the remedy is a solid transmission mount and possibly an extra brace, which makes perfect sense.

This winter, I am installing a LSD transmission and a solid transmission mount. I will also be adding another 30-40whp. So now that two fuses ( wheel spin, broken axles) between the flywheel and the asphalt are gone, It looks like the ring and pinion is up next... How many of you have destroyed that unit? Will it hold that abuse? I dont do any drag racing with this car, all abuse is from a rolling start.

Every time I limp/tow my car back to the shop after hours, my old man comes over with his heavy accent and tells me "Keed, this car issa not for you...you needing a chebby or a mustang ". Sometimes, I have to wonder if hes right...
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 AM
asoduk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lee,
its true: if you want to do a ton of burnouts or drift, you have the wrong car.
It sounds though more like you are experiencing what a number of us are going through with our cars: age. My closest A/X competitor (a fellow 951 driver) and I started shredding CVs a few years ago. We figured we were just abusing them and it was a fact of life. Then we switched to redline CV grease. It seemed to make a difference. At that thought though, I was stock and he was running the old autothority chips.
Then I upgraded to the DMEI chip and ruined 2 CVs in "testing" and 1 autocross later I had a clunky CV. A quick poke around the forum and I found that my issue was in fact the transmission mount. I put the car on the lift and found that the trans moves around way more than it should. As it was the end of the season, I ordered some late style CVs to put in this winter and regreased my existing joints to be quiet.
I have a winter project planned now: drop transmission, fill mount with urethane; replace 86 axles/CVs with 89 units.
I'm hoping I won't be reporting anything for a couple years after that.
I chose not to go solid b/c I don't want the vibration and noise of solid. I'm also a believer in urethane.
On another note, I blew a R/P a few years back in an NA car. While the car had been autocrossed a lot, i still blame the failure on being bumped in a parking place or something.
Clearly, once you get enough power you will find the next weak link. Seeing the LS1 cars and high boost cars though I think you have a way to go.
Still though, its hard to beat an el camino with a 454 and posi if you're just looking for smoke....
Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont drag race... I dont do burnouts from a full stop either... I also dont do low speed drifting in parking lots... Thats what my e30 bmw was for

I was however, tired of losing traction. Be it at autoX or a fast run through the mountains, I was losing time during the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift due to traction loss. Accelerating out of corners was hampered too.

So my main concern was this: Between having R compound tires and a solid transmission mount, how often is the ring and pinion going to break?

Yea, I also broke a ring and pinion on an N/A 944...not fun eh?

Quick Reply: Broken CV joints or broken ring and pinions?