Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heater blower motor only worked on 4, then stopped

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blower motor only worked on 4, then stopped

On my 89 951, a few months ago the blower stopped working on any setting but '4'. So I tried to use it as little as possible heh

Then a few days ago I needed to defrost the windows and it didn't work at all

Is this a common problem? How do I test if it's the 'resistor pack' or not and how do I replace/rebuild? If it's the blower fan, I guess I'll need a new one, wheres a good place to find one?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Spinning the control **** really fast a bunch of times usually scrapes off the oxydation enough to make them work......for a while.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

it is the fan resistor. you can remove it and try and clean the contacts. sometimes you can be lucky. it lives on the blower motor assembly under the hood.
Sean
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JET951
it is the fan resistor. you can remove it and try and clean the contacts. sometimes you can be lucky. it lives on the blower motor assembly under the hood.
Sean
I soldered all the contact points on the fan resistor. It has been working flawlessly since.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, when the resistor fails, it only blows on high. Check the wiring/connections and report back.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
aventari
Instructor

thanks, will try that tonight. I'll resolder any obvious connections too.

A new one looks to be $200.. ouch
Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to clean the contacts points, they are not easy to get at but you can do it by drawing folded emery cloth through them and then cleaning them with a paper dipped in laquer thinner or some spray cleaner. Mine seem to need doing every year or two, at least it's an easy part to get at.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Melchior
Pro

I did a write-up on this issue a few years ago. 99% of the time it is corrosion on the resistor pack contacts. Here is my write-up...very easy to do:

There is a plastic plate (1/2" X 3") that is screwed to the top of your blower box underneath the flimsy plastic cover below the driverside windsheild. It has two screws that hold it on and a 3 or 4 pin long connector attached to the top of it. This is what controls your fan motor speed. Cafefully remove it and you will notice that it has a strange coil attached to it. The problem lies with the copper contacts getting corroded. You will need to get a piece of fine grit sand paper and clean the top/underside of the unusual copper metal piece that looks sort of like an old telegraph machine (only way that I know how to discribe it). This is a crude relay and it needs to be cleaned very thoroughly. Have fun.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...peed-only.html

Quick Reply: Heater blower motor only worked on 4, then stopped