Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Enhancer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Boost Enhancer

Has anyone had experience with the Lindsey Racing boost enhancer? I will be doing some autox this year and thought having the boost come on sooner would be a good idea. Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It worked well while I had it. I later switched to manual boost-controller setup.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just go ahead and do a full test pipe/cat delete/cat back/wastegate/MBC combo. You won't regret it!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Just go ahead and do a full test pipe/cat delete/cat back/wastegate/MBC combo. You won't regret it!
i already have a catdelete/test pipe, wastegate, and mbc and catback comin soon.... a boost enchancer wont work with?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering for a while about this...
Does a black **** MBC allow the boost to bleed off more than an LBE? I think I've read that the LBE operates directly off pressure (just a spring type check valve basically), but that the black **** MBCs are affected by flow as well (allowing your boost to taper down).
Any truth to this?
What's the general consensus?

I was running an LBE but switched to an MBC so I could control the boost pressure from inside (not that I ever touch it now that it's been set). I know that Russell Berry prefers the LBE to the MBC according to his site....
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Synth
Instructor

I'm almost positive a boost enhancer is not needed if you already have a boost controller. I think the boost enhancer is just a shim to allow slightly more boost pressure, whereas the boost controller allows you to actually manually adjust the amount of boost.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paseb
i already have a catdelete/test pipe, wastegate, and mbc and catback comin soon.... a boost enchancer wont work with?
A boost enhancer will work just fine. Russell that makes 951MAX chips prefers the LBE to the MBC. I've just asked why...

I think having the MBC AND LBE is reduntant, you only need one or the other.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boost Enhancer is sort of an almost manual boost controller. It doesnt do anything if you already have a proper boost controller, its only good with the stock setup.... And even then, a real boost controller is an upgrade from that.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Synth
I think the boost enhancer is just a shim to allow slightly more boost pressure, whereas the boost controller allows you to actually manually adjust the amount of boost.
The boost enhancer is supposed to make boost come faster because it keeps the boost signal from the wastegate until it reaches the desired pressure (it's adjustable with a wrench). (an MBC does the same thing, only it's inside the car so you can adjust it anytime)
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Interesting.
Originally Posted by theedge
It doesnt do anything if you already have a proper boost controller
I would be taking out my MBC and putting my LBE back in. Unless I shouldn't.
Originally Posted by theedge
its only good with the stock setup
Why can't it be used with the cycling valve removed?

Ok, I've just read this on boostsciences.com (sellers of Accuboost and Reliaboost boost controllers)

"Because of the mode of operation of a Dual Port Wastegate, the bleed type control mechanism of the MBC is ideal for this application. If you are using is a Single-Port or Internal Wastegate, the AccuBoost is the ultimate performance choice for your application."

I have a Tial 38mm in dual port configuration so I'll keep my MBC and sell my LBE. I just want to understand why...

To the OP, sorry I hijacked your thread, but I think I've kept on topic. From the boostscience.com website I would guess you should buy a boost enhancer if you want to run a single-port wastegate (stock) and an MBC for anything dual port. Ofcourse, an electronic boost controller is supposed to be the best.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Synth
Instructor

This is from the upgrades write up on the LR bulletin boards.

2.) Lindsey Boost Enhancer: cost $89.95
This product is bar none the best bang for the buck available for the 944 Turbo. It makes a significant improvement in the turbo lag present in all 944 Turbo’s. Again, this product needs to be considered in an overall look at what your intentions are for the future. The turbo lag is caused by design characteristics in your factory wastegate. Replacing the wastegate eliminates the need for the boost enhancer, see part 4 of this list for more explanation.

4.) Wastegate with manual boost controller: cost $399 + $65
This is probably the best money you could spend in improving the overall performance of your car. It does two very important things, it greatly improves the turbo lag and helps to control the boost drop off that occurs with sustained high boost conditions. If this upgrade is within your budget, the Boost Enhancer will not be necessary. Look for a direct bolt-in unit, requiring no exhaust modifications. With this configuration, you will have the ability to adjust the boost level from as low as 8 pounds to as high as 23 pounds.

So I guess the enhancer is useful as long as you have the stock wastegate?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Synth
Instructor

Damn, you guys are fast on the posting! I just realized I had the wastegate shim mixed up with the boost enhancer in my first post. Whoops.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefig
Interesting.

I would be taking out my MBC and putting my LBE back in. Unless I shouldn't.

Why can't it be used with the cycling valve removed?
It could be used as an MBC, but its a bit of a pain to adjust. It does run on the same principal as a ball bearing MBC.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

IMHO, if youre spending the money on it, then an EBC is the only way to go. But thats me. The Profecs are quite nice, but theres others.

I went from stock, to stock+LBE and that was an improvement in performance, then I got a Profec A and that was a huge step up from the LBE.

As with any other mod, a Wideband O2 system is needed.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Boost Enhancer

Wow! Thanks for all the quick and great responses! The Lindsey Boost Enhancer is just an adjustable check valve that does not allow any flow to the waste gate until a predetermined set point (manually adjusted with wrench as previously mentioned) has been met. It comes set at 10 psi, so basically factory settings. I believe you can adjust it to about 20 psi or any where in between. By reducing any flow to the wastegate before the check valve opens, the boost builds sooner, apparantly starting at 2000 rpm versus 3500rpm. Thats why I thought it may be of use during autox. The car is bone stock and my intention is to leave it that way for 2009. I want to get to know the stock limits first so I can modify later as neccessary, hopefully getting 1-3 years of use before a complete rebuild and then modify the fresh motor. This being a stock motor, how much boost could you safely and reliably use before any problems? The motor has 212,000 km (137,000 miles).

Quick Reply: Boost Enhancer