Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Video: Lifter noise or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
I'm guessing it's gonna look just like this...

haha...

Well tonight I'll pull it. I'm afraid though because I couldn't get the bearing cap off of one of my balance shafts and I ended up damaging the cap to get it off. It just has some indents in the metal at the top, it doesn't seem to affect the actual bearing. Think this is a big deal?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the damage to the balance shaft bearing cover, its from the vice grips. I know, dumb, but I tried for a really long time to wiggle and pull it off...and I didn't think I had them on very tight.

This doesn't matter...does it?

Last edited by amirpc; 11-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The visegrip tooth marks on that bearing cap are nothing to worry about. They're nowhere near the bearing area, and won't weaken the cap at all. Reuse without a second thought.

Next time try using a dead blow hammer or even the soft handle end of a screw driver to knock the bearing cap loose.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Here's a clip of my lifter noise that turned out to be 4 lifters that were bad, one was so gone the button pushed completely flush with very little effort. I was fortunate to have another set to go through...of 16 I had 9 that tested good. Once replaced the noise was history...just normal sounding lifters.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym1cNU1PmL8
Sorry for a little hijack ..

started my car yesterday and it had this same noise and level as fluidplay, all lifters is less than 2yr old . The car was fine when I parked it about 8months ago with fresh oil and filter , and I let it build oil pressure before starting . Only thing that has been replaced is the fuel hoses and FPR. Fuel hoses is now rubber and I put on a AFPR from Paragon dialed in @ 3bar .

I drove the car for about 1 hour and has warmed it up several times , but noise is still there. I have some spare lifters lying around , but could they really go bad this fast ? Old ones where sitting for 15yrs before needed replacement.

Rod bearing could be possible , but has I`ve heard this on other cars before I really doubt it .

On amirpcs car you can clearly hear a more obvious tapping when revving the car ..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
Sorry for a little hijack ..

started my car yesterday and it had this same noise and level as fluidplay, all lifters is less than 2yr old . The car was fine when I parked it about 8months ago with fresh oil and filter , and I let it build oil pressure before starting . Only thing that has been replaced is the fuel hoses and FPR. Fuel hoses is now rubber and I put on a AFPR from Paragon dialed in @ 3bar .

I drove the car for about 1 hour and has warmed it up several times , but noise is still there. I have some spare lifters lying around , but could they really go bad this fast ? Old ones where sitting for 15yrs before needed replacement.

Rod bearing could be possible , but has I`ve heard this on other cars before I really doubt it .

On amirpcs car you can clearly hear a more obvious tapping when revving the car ..
Rod knock is pretty distinctive. It comes from deep in the engine and increases with RPM and load. Valve knock is the same but comes from higher in the engine and is probably less sounding like a hammer in the block.

I have heard of engines seizing after non use. Fuel mixes with oil oil breaks down and well the rest is pretty expensive. A cheap way to ensure that you do not run into these issues is to change your oil after the car has sat for more then 3 months.

Quick Reply: Video: Lifter noise or something else?