Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ape stage 2 chips with dual port WG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ape stage 2 chips with dual port WG?

I have been collecting parts for the turbo, linsey dp wg, 3 bar fpr, MBC, cat bye pass and ansi cat back, looking forward to getting them into the car.
My question is can you run this set up with ape stage2 chips at 16-18 psi?
Thanks Marty
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

I'd look into getting a good Wideband O2 sensor and display before you start turning up the boost so that you can monitor AFRs. Just my .02 but I think many others would agree.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtomarty
I have been collecting parts for the turbo, linsey dp wg, 3 bar fpr, MBC, cat bye pass and ansi cat back, looking forward to getting them into the car.
My question is can you run this set up with ape stage2 chips at 16-18 psi?
Thanks Marty
Not a good idea or a good match all. THe APE chips are designed to run a 2.5 bar FPR and have a boost spike (banjo bolt restriction) and dropoff. With the 3.0 bar FPR you'll be dumping 20% more fuel into the motor at all ranges...this can be bad for not only your economy and performance but can also wash the cylinders. The DPWG will allow you to hold boost to redline (provided your turbo can flow the air) and the APE chips are naturally lean above 5K. You may get lucky with the 20% extra fuel but you may not.

Keep collecting parts and buy a proper chip for that combo. Lindsey or Vitesse can take care of your chip needs (I prefer Vitesse).
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Thanks!! I will get a new chip set, a few $ for the proper chip is a lot better than head gasket or worse!
The stage2 was in the car when I purchased it, not bad ,BUT we all need more
Marty
Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Now this brings up an interesting dilemma I thought had covered but maybe not. My engine is about half back together (the SB) and hope to have it back in the car in next few weeks. My plan was to get it running and break in using stock AFM, chips and injectors. After 1000 miles or so add a Vitesse MAF with big injectors. I am for sure going to invest in a wide band AF before start up and keep boost very moderate ( have a Tial 38mm with 7# spring no dial up) but was going to go to a 3.0 bar regulator for starters but maybe just the stock 2.5?. Oh yea, already took care of the turbo and had rebuilt with a To4e#44 compressor side. John has already suggested I do his MAF before start up. Thought here is drive her easy to break in and stay out of any serious boost and keep a sharp eye on the AF gauge. Just like to have as few variables to start with as possible, eh except for the ones I’ve already got. Hummmm.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Now this brings up an interesting dilemma I thought had covered but maybe not. My engine is about half back together (the SB) and hope to have it back in the car in next few weeks. My plan was to get it running and break in using stock AFM, chips and injectors. After 1000 miles or so add a Vitesse MAF with big injectors. I am for sure going to invest in a wide band AF before start up and keep boost very moderate ( have a Tial 38mm with 7# spring no dial up) but was going to go to a 3.0 bar regulator for starters but maybe just the stock 2.5?. Oh yea, already took care of the turbo and had rebuilt with a To4e#44 compressor side. John has already suggested I do his MAF before start up. Thought here is drive her easy to break in and stay out of any serious boost and keep a sharp eye on the AF gauge. Just like to have as few variables to start with as possible, eh except for the ones I’ve already got. Hummmm.
Probably a good idea to do what he says.
He will prevent software glitches.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Yep, what I'm starting to think too. I've sort of already added a few variables. Just hate to have a lot of new ones when trying to get a new engine started up. All the variables so far are mechanical and only come into play when under load. Guess need to dig in a little deeper a little sooner maybe. Guess still need that wide band regardless.

Quick Reply: ape stage 2 chips with dual port WG?