Brad Penn Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brad Penn Oil

I'm going to use this thread to document my findings/useage of this oil. I'm switching from Mobil 1 synthetic. I've talked to numerous tuners and builders and they all have said its the right move. Anyone use this stuff? What about swepco which I've heard might actually be better for me in cold climate.

Whats everyone using and what are your findings as far as oil pressure(I've heard stories of increasing) and overall general use? Anything anyones got to share I'd like to hear. This is steming from a OT discussion late last year and it just never left me.

I broke down and ordered two cases. Too many people I trust saying its the way to go not too. If I regret it I can always go back right?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Brad Penn fan. My PO used Mobil 1 synthetic...a 0W but he had the car up in Maryland. I'm in TX so I switched to Brad Penn's 20w-50 and love it. Oil pressure is solid - always between 4/5 when in motion. Honestly, it's just great oil that works well in these old engines. It has the ZDDP additives the engine needs and it's very comforting to know that there's high quality stuff in there that's keeping these lubed. It's especially 'klingy' which keeps the wear and tear from cold starts down if your car isn't a DD and you go for days or weeks at a time without driving it.

I bought several cases and haven't looked back - it's staying in my car.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I used the swepco and it seems very good but a local hot rod shop carries Brad Penn so I'm going to switch simply for the convenience. I used to run Mobil 1 and when I went to swepco my oil consumption dropped a lot.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Lubrication Engineers 8820 MONOLEC. Technical data can be found >HERE<

I've used their 8130 in other vehicles and have always had good feedback on my oil analysis with it. I just replaced my connecting rod bearings and the oil pan gasket, so this is the first time I've been able to use it. I will be doing oil analysis on this oil when I reach 1,000 miles on my next oil change, then again at 5,000 miles.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I have ran Brad Penn 20w-50 several times and really liked it. I change the oil pretty often and I like the fact it has the ZDDP additives. I was a huge fan of the old school Kendall GT1 "green oil" of which the Brad Penn essentially is except is a semi-synthetic. Schaefer's is good stuff if you can get it as well. I used to run it in my old VW VR6 which run hot oil temps and with the Schaefer's the oil ran ~ 10-18F cooler than reg oil.

Go with the Brad Penn though, you will not be disappointed.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
dmalo810
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about it for the same reasons. Also, several of us are moving to Valvoline 4 cycle motorcycle oil (cheap at Pepboys in gallon) which has higher zddp in it then standard or syn oils. Remember, motorcycles need oils that handle high revs.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

So what is wrong with Mobil 1. I have used Mobil one for years just wondering what the benefits are to switching.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:21 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kool
So what is wrong with Mobil 1. I have used Mobil one for years just wondering what the benefits are to switching.
Mobil one changed their formula to lower the ZDDP levels recently (still good oil I'm sure). It was found to hurt modern cats I guess. I've switched to Brad Penn in all my Porsche's.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

From what I have read, the ZDDP anti-wear additive is especially important for the two valve per cylinder heads. The valves in two valve heads are bigger than the valves in the newer four valve heads so the two valve heads need stronger valve springs to properly control the larger and heavier valves. The stronger valve springs cause higher pressures between the cam and the lifters. Therefore, higher levels of the ZDDP anti-wear additive are intended to handle the times where the oil film breaks down under the high pressures between the cam and the lifters. The ZDDP probably also helps out in other areas of the engine too if the oil film actually breaks down and allows metal to metal contact for brief periods of time.

If you are running a four valve per cylinder head, then you don't have to be quite as concerned about the reduced ZDDP levels in the newer oil formulations.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2009, 02:18 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Zimms UPS package is due here Tuesday. I'll have my initial impressions soon.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

I've been using Brad Penn 20W/50 since I met Charles Navarro of LN Engineering in late 2007. I haven't noticed any difference in oil consumption or oil pressure, but I never had any problems with either. It seems like a no brainer to me vs. using Castrol GTX: it's a better product and it doesn't cost any more. Easy call.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm officially switched over
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,702 Posts

I think the Brad Penn and Swepco (what I use) oil is awesome for the aircooled 911's, but I would seriously consider a full synthetic for a 951. I think turbocharged cars would benefit from the extreme heat resistance of the full syn stuff. I'm no longer a Mobil 1 guy either (since their reformulation), but there may be some other good choices (I know Redline and several other full syns have more ZDDP than Mobil 1 - Charles sells the Motul on his site).

However, if Charles N. says Penn is the right choice for a 951, then I'd feel confident (I don't know his stand on that).

Here's his site:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the Brad Penn and Swepco oil is awesome for the aircooled 911's, but I would seriously consider a full synthetic for a 951. I think turbocharged cars would benefit from the extreme heat resistance of the full syn stuff. I'm no longer a Mobil 1 guy either (since their reformulation), but there may be some other good choices (I know Redline and several other full syns have more ZDDP than Mobil 1).

However, if Charles N. says Penn is the right choice for a 951, then I'd feel confident (I don't know his stand on that).

Here's his site:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
There will always be choices out there for people. However getting people to admit that the change in Mobil 1 formula for the worst is a issue in of itself. I know it was for me. I've talked to soooo many people in the business and they all gave several possible suggestions for oil. Whenever Brad Penn came up none of them had anything negative to say.

So I chose the one they all agreed on without knowing it.

Quick Reply: Brad Penn Oil