Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What if the boost enhancer is faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if the boost enhancer is faulty?

Quick question (just to be sure!)

I got a 3rd hand boost enhancer from a rennlister and given that its been around the houses there's always a chance its not quite right.

I'm thinking that worst case is that it will get stuck shut, stopping all pressure from reaching the wastegate. Unless I'm mistaken, the car would overboost, the overboost protection would kick in and cut the fuel - no big deal...

Any chance that a faulty boost enhancer would cause bigger problems that that?

Thanks!
Alex
Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can open it up and check the inside condition
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 AM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
you can open it up and check the inside condition
Worth doing for sure. Mine had a very small piece of debris inside that was causing inconsistent boost readings.

I'd guess that if all your fail-safe devices are installed and working properly no major damage would happen but I would surely take it apart and check it out before installing it. JIC.

Last edited by 951Boost; 06-07-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spl
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 AM
carlege
Drifting

mine was flawless on the inside looked new. I also replaced the hoses on each side to 50lb hoses (only ones they had) if you get yours used i would recommend it.... the barb on the end can be taken off with some wire cutters and pliers .
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Blueman33
Pro

You never know. i had a LBE which worked fine.

Somehow i got the notion to get a 'better one', which was called accuboost.

the thing wouldn't hold boost at all.

i took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong, and put it back on.

didn't work.

called the company and they told me to take it apart and clean it (it was brand new).

uh, i did that.

they told me to do it again.

so i put on the old LBE and once again worked fine.

the accuboost never worked and i got double talk. so yes you will find many people tell you accuboost is good. i am one who is telling you if it isn't good, you are stuck with it because the company doesn't stand behind their product.

it would have been nice to just have, "oh, you already cleaned it, send it back we'll send you another one".................all i ask is for honesty.

my point is that while it seems super simple, you never know. i had a bad one.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Accuboost and LBE are a bit different though in terms of how they get hooked up (Accuboost bypasses the CV) but they both pretty much do the same thing.

I have an Accuboost and mine works great. I put in a Vitesse MAF and I have no problems holding 15PSI. Did you get the ceramic ball with yours?

I do agree though that their customer service sucks. I ordered mine and couldn't get them to return an email when I was asking for a tracking number or delivery ETA. I also placed the original order and didn't get the ceramic ball and was sending emails asking them to include that and they never responded. It was to the same email that they get their paypal money so I know someone checks that. Their website has no phone number and a PO Box address in Austin, TX, which is where I live. The package came from New Mexico. So, go figure...

Mine's going to come out soon anyway when I get around to putting in my Tial 38mm. I've got my MBC hooked up with the vacuum lines tied up in the engine bay - just have to get some time to get the WG installed.

If you can afford it - the WG is the way to go.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Ok, opened it up... generally it was clean but there was a small piece of packing material (the light white stuff) caught in the "in" side of the plastic plug (which I also think was stuck shut) so generally good thing I opened it up (no fault of the rennlister I bought it off btw).
Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Good Call!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
aprotogerellis
Instructor

Ok guys.. the saga continues... I installed it and finally got the chance to step on the gas a bit. I think that something's not quite right...

On full power the boost gauge goes almost past he last mark. The indicator goes to the end of the very last mark (the bigger one) and reads 2...

I recall that it shouldn't really go over 1.8 so I'm guessing the enhancer isn't letting the wastegate open at all. Needless to say I haven't pressed the car to see if it'll blow!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aprotogerellis
Ok guys.. the saga continues... I installed it and finally got the chance to step on the gas a bit. I think that something's not quite right...

On full power the boost gauge goes almost past he last mark. The indicator goes to the end of the very last mark (the bigger one) and reads 2...

I recall that it shouldn't really go over 1.8 so I'm guessing the enhancer isn't letting the wastegate open at all. Needless to say I haven't pressed the car to see if it'll blow!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex
Factory gauge is crap, mine reads >2 at anything over 10 PSI (confirmed with both mechanical AM gauge and electronic boost gauge on my Zietronix).. install a decent mechanical or electronic boost gauge for more accurate readings...
Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

What's a good recommendation for a boost gauge?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:30 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

You also have to set the LBE to the desired boost; maybe the way you have it, it's turned too far in.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I like VDO gauges as that's whats in the dash.
I like to bench test my boost enhancer 4psi less than desired boost is a good starting piont for the cracking pressure ..
Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Since the boost enhancer remains closed until the set opening pressure is reached, does it react quick enough to avoid any boost spikes? If any
, would the spikes be handled by the car's electronics?

What is the proceedure for bench testing?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

well it doesn't react realy its opens up and lets the boost control take control .
to bench test you use a nice small guage so no more than 50psi a boost guage will do and you gently pump air into the the "boost enhancer" and you should notice than you can pup 10psi then it will crack and leak through .

Quick Reply: What if the boost enhancer is faulty?