Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The 951 question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it inspirational and humorous to read a few of these posts. I've always liked the 944. I was dying to have one back in high school, when a friend's dad had a pretty well modified 951. Thing was very very quick. Got into college and found a couple other guys that loved them. I built numerous ones on video games and fantasized what it would be like to pilot a 951 down the back stretch at Laguna Seca or out at the Nurburgring.

Then I got one! I was so stoked. Called a few friends and I instantly had one of the coolest, iconic sports cars from the 80's and surrounding era's. I get looks from everyone in this thing. Out on Friday nights, I'm that "guy with the Porsh." lol. It's great. The car has an aura around it, and I've come to realize that only the people that wish they had a car half as cool or quick as a front-engined Porsche, are the ones that like to call names and jeer me for my car.

Overall, I'd say that this car is going to be in my possession for a long while. Paying it off won't be hard, or take long. There are other cars I could have gotten, but for the price, I'd say this thing can't be beat!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering feel....
Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

The newer turbos feel too smooth.
When this baby hits boost, your head hits the seat.

Last edited by spoolin51; 07-05-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:08 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Got a few of my friends hooked yesterday.........let each of them take it for a spin on the highway.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

The easiest way to convert some one is hand them your keys.THEN THEY GET WHAT WE FEEL A true drivers car I don't even have ABS and I like it that way.It's a feel in your *** thats connect ed to the car that just feels great.I'll always own one.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
The easiest way to convert some one is hand them your keys.THEN THEY GET WHAT WE FEEL A true drivers car I don't even have ABS and I like it that way.It's a feel in your *** thats connect ed to the car that just feels great.I'll always own one.
This will probably draw a number of boos and hisses, but the 951 is a 25 year old car. In my opinion, the 951 shows its age and it doesn't compare well against modern Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes. Modern computer technology used both in the design process and in control systems has revolutionized the performance automotive industry. None of this was available when the 951 was created.

However, the car is inexpensive to buy and there are a large number of upgrades available to bring out the engineer and hot rodder in all of us. This is what makes the car fun. (Not to mention the nostalga factor).

I would never use a 951 as a daily driver, but it is a wonderful toy for people who like to work on cars or want a dedicated car for the track. (I can't see risking a $60k BMW that is relied on for everyday transportation on the track.)

I have handed my wife the keys of my 951 and she refused to drive it. The 951 is too antiquated and unrefined. (More time for me to play, anyway.). The Mercedes she drives is pretty incredible in terms of both power and handling.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Personally I rather drive my 951 for a daily driver and leave my Audi sitting in the drive way...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it is all what you are used to and what you grew up with. Compared to the American Iron I grew up with these cars are a dream. Myself, I wouldn't even dare to compare it to a brand new car.. another 80's or earlier car, not much comes close IMO.

IMO these cars not suited well for younger owners unless they have a beater or other DD. They are very fun to tinker with as Chris said .. That is what makes them appealing to me.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle951
This will probably draw a number of boos and hisses, but the 951 is a 25 year old car. In my opinion, the 951 shows its age and it doesn't compare well against modern Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes. Modern computer technology used both in the design process and in control systems has revolutionized the performance automotive industry. None of this was available when the 951 was created.
I have handed my wife the keys of my 951 and she refused to drive it. The 951 is too antiquated and unrefined. (More time for me to play, anyway.). The Mercedes she drives is pretty incredible in terms of both power and handling.
Yep, just like refined sugars – modern cars do all the work for you and make you a fat and lazy driver!

Reality is that computers are much better than humans at many things. We should all give up on manuals and switch to automatics, fully computer controlled throttles (very common) and fully computer controlled brakes (coming very soon – radar based versions already available on MBs…). Almost all high end sports cars have stability management to control handling - in fact the latest generation of stability control in Porsches cannot be completely turned off. If you turn it off and the car senses that you are in trouble it will turn itself back on…

Yep, just like refined sugars…kinda tastes sweet but in the end the driver becomes kinda fat and dumb….just poke at a pedal and let the car figure it out.

Might as well just be a computer game….
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Well said Chris, hence my desire to drive the 951 while the Audi (computer with a car body attached) sits in the driveway...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Trucho-951
Pro

I like driving the 951, but I hate chasing oil leaks.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris White
Yep, just like refined sugars – modern cars do all the work for you and make you a fat and lazy driver!
Isn't that a good thing in a daily driver? The benefits are improved reliabilty, comfort, safety, pollution and gas mileadge. Save the 951 for weekend playing where the goal is to enjoy the driving experience rather than getting from point A to point B.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

A car thats stimulating to drive is so hard to behave in ... so i prefer (er have to ) to drive somthing mundane day to day .
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
seattle951
Pro

Out of curiousity, if Porsche were to create a new release of the 951 in 2010 like the Camaro and Challenger, what would it look like?

- 2.0 L 300hp/300tq motor with a flat torque curve
- Significantly improved handling
- Better ride
- 34 mpg
- 25% lower emissions
- Improved safety (traction control, air bags all around, anti-lock breaks, better crumple zones, other)
- No service for 100k miles
- Sleeker looking body rather than the 1970s 924 look
- Higher quality interior

I doubt Porsche would ever do this since there is not a much of a market, but I would like to see such a car.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

signfiicantly better handling ??? like what ??
ther rear end is a bit dated for 16 tires ..
as we saw the other day in pats video all the apparent technolgy and wisardry cant realy over come the phisics of changing a big vector as the car is near 2 tonne

I'd prefer to see a drivers car again and for it to be offered in a cs or RS spec that was realy lacking in the 951 so light manual seats manual windows optional cage ..
and from engine rear transaxle but use the vw R32 engine to continue the mongrel sports car fasion.

while materials and manufacturing technolagy get better I'm simply descusted that genrally speaking a sports car wieghs 50% more these days than it did in the 80's ..

Back to basics please the auto indusry has realy become coftable complacent and un inspired and thats part of the reason its on the bones of its **** now .

Quick Reply: The 951 question...