Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks well made, but IMHO a little too bulky.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Just out of curiosity what will this do for general cooling under the hood. Just curious to if all of the air is being vented out of the front half how much cooling is happening under the back half of the hood?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very nice Joe.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, it looks great. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
mechacode
2nd Gear

First off, if my post here violates any rules (I don't think it does but one never can be too sure in a new forum), please let me know moderators.

Hi Joe! I would like to get in contact with you about getting ahold of the larger vent for my vehicle. I can't message you because I am new (or not a paying member, I'm not sure). I have been looking for a hood vent for a very long time that matches what I've had in mind and have found nothing until a random google search turned up this thread and your vent! I am extremely happy to have found it and the only thing left is to get in contact with you. If you can, please send me an email at the following address: mechacode7(at)yahoo(dot)com Thank you very much.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you search on ebay for something like 944 race splitter you will find the seller
Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Joe Toth
Instructor

The vents are done and installed in the hood. The last thing I might do is paint them silver rose to match the car and it would make them blend in. Tried to do some temperature testing, did two drives of 50 minutes each - 10 min to the freeway, 30 minutes on the freeway and 10 minutes back. Both tests were done at an ambient air temperature of 70 F. I had 2 thermometers mounted under the hood, one at the front under the large vent location and the second under the side vent on the passenger side, over the header. Only used two thermometers cause that's all I had. The car has a 172 degree thermostat and fan switch.

First run stock hood at 70 mph - air temp under hood 94 degrees F on freeway
Shut the car off temp rose to 202 F

Second run with 3 vents at 70 mph - air temp under hood 86 F
Shut the car off and temp rose to 176 under large vent by radiator and 167 under the side vent over the header.

The freeway air temperature differences aren't much but the shut down temps would show there is a lot less heat soak going on with the vents installed.

Also did two idle test 15 minutes duration with and without vents.

Under hood temp without vents - front vent 179 F side vent 178 F shut down rose to 180 F

Under hood temp with vents - front vent 155 F side vent 158 F shut down rose to 160 F front vent and 159 F side vent.

Last edited by Joe Toth; 03-08-2013 at 09:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shredcrimson (12-10-2021)
Old 09-16-2009, 02:14 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Please paint them...that might make them look marginally better. Even then though I'm not sure....I don't like them at all. They stick out too much. It would look better if they were recessed or stamped into the hood.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Please paint them...that might make them look marginally better. Even then though I'm not sure....I don't like them at all. They stick out too much. It would look better if they were recessed or stamped into the hood.
I imagine they COULD be frenched into the hood, but that would require more body work than cutting a hole and bonding them to the hood, but it could be done.. would make the top side even with the rest of the hood, with the "vents" sticking up above the hood line... I personally am not a huge fan of the RS style vents D9 is selling, but have thought about getting them and frenching them in...

I'm considering having some vents cut into my hood during upcoming body attention... but If I do them will probably be 1/4 inch tall x 6 inches or so wide, one on each side of the hood, and some sort of cuts behind the radiator... and maybe add some airflow diverters on the backside of the radiator.. don't want to duct the radiator, just direct the airflow up twords the vents... not 100% sold on hood vents though, but the under hood temps are an attractor...
Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Nah, I was only kidding. Besides Guns has long since dropped that project which is a shame.
I ain't dead yet Patrick still have the car and plan on finishing as well.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe Toth

First run stock hood at 70 mph - air temp under hood 94 degrees F on freeway
Shut the car off temp rose to 202 F

Second run with 3 vents at 70 mph - air temp under hood 86 F
Shut the car off and temp rose to 176 under large vent by radiator and 167 under the side vent over the header.

The freeway air temperature differences aren't much but the shut down temps would show there is a lot less heat soak going on with the vents installed.

Also did two idle test 15 minutes duration with and without vents.

Under hood temp without vents - front vent 179 F side vent 178 F shut down rose to 180 F

Under hood temp with vents - front vent 155 F side vent 158 F shut down rose to 160 F front vent and 159 F side vent.
Thanks for the dataes.

I hoped the temperature decrease was more significant with hood vents
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Johnkoawood,
Thanks for grasping my ideas for these vents. Yes they could be blended (frenched) into the hood with a lot of body work. My intent was ot to make something simple to mount. I would never try and mold these pieces into a hood. The amount of glass or bondo on the backside of the hood to keep things from moving and flexing would be ridiculous. The original plan was to make the vents simple to mount and then do a complete fiberglass hood with the vents. This would then reduce the overall size of the vents as we don't need flanges for mounting. The 3/16" tall flange I have now would dissappear and be smooth with the hood. This way the vent would only be 1/2" above the rest of the hood surface. With a complete hood design I would also have the flexibility of placement as right now I was restricted by the support structure of the hood. Unfortunatley with the economy I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on a complete one off hood. Maybe with some of the interest from the local folks we can do a group development project sooner rather than later.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Having those stamped would be so much more badass. Like the concept though, and the real data that came of this!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Guns951
I ain't dead yet Patrick still have the car and plan on finishing as well.
Well that's great to hear Gabe. Look forward to any more installments.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For you newer guys, here's a thread where David Loyd had some louvers punched in his hood by a street rod shop and then got them painted and whatnot. There are some good pictures throughout the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ht=louver+hood

Quick Reply: New Hood Vent