Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Feedback on Lindsey Racing 270 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM
dmalo810
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Lindsey Racing 270 kit?

Who has tried the Lindsey racing kits for 270+? Feedback? I've always liked those guys there and am thinking about future mods. I don't want to get too aggressive or complicated as drive-ability, reliability, and time are the keys for me.

They also offer a heat coating??? Worth it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

ive ridden in a car that has the 300rwhp kit and it is blisteringly fast
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand why people buy these premade exhaust kits. Im sure there are shops in your town that can custom fab an exhaust just like that for around 350.

The other stuff is nice but the exhuast like alot of the polished ones seem so overly price for what you get. seriously polished exhaust? (its under the car)
Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 300 kit on my 86.
With a fresh head and fesh 26/6, it dynoed @255/292 RWHP (IIRC)
I think this was @ 15psi.
not bad for the cost. But not 100% happy with the result.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
I have the 300 kit on my 86.
With a fresh head and fesh 26/6, it dynoed @255/292 RWHP (IIRC)
I think this was @ 15psi.
not bad for the cost. But not 100% happy with the result.
according to lindsey you should be seeing around 289 hp at 16psi. so....... you sure your car is running right?

but for 1800 dollars
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
I dont understand why people buy these premade exhaust kits. Im sure there are shops in your town that can custom fab an exhaust just like that for around 350.

The other stuff is nice but the exhuast like alot of the polished ones seem so overly price for what you get. seriously polished exhaust? (its under the car)
Some like the polished exhaust. I personally would rather buy from a reputable vendor that primarily deals with 944/951 related products than go to a fab shop and have them piece something together.

Nothing wrong with going that route, just different methods of execution.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:48 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Why re-invent the wheel when someone has already built something you can buy spares for and is a clean install.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a local exhaust shop make me an exhaust for my 944 in my avatar. Looked real nice, seemed pretty decent. It was $325 IIRC including muffler and tip.

Last weekend the pipe straight up broke at the muffler inlet, in the middle of a 944 Cup sprint race. It did not break at the weld but rather next to it... the pipe cracked around the entire diameter, and then cracked back up the pipe too. It sure appears that the shop used less than top of the line steel, and it could not take the heat. This exhaust is still mounted with factory rubber mounts so it is even vibration isolated.

I threw a factory system back on for now but I am buying a Lindsey rather than spend time having it fabbed again by someone who doesn't know jack about 944's. I have faith that the LR system is designed and tested on and for this specific car, and that for the money it will last in a track environment. I want it to bolt up with no hacks.

Personally, I will be buying a coated header and a regular uncoated system from the header to the muffler.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen 30% difference in HP from exhaust systems that all look very simular. Very little things like smoothness of the joimts internally make a big difference. Small changes in the lengths between connections or where the crossover is mated makes a difference. I agree with going with someone who knowa these things. The stock system out performs many custom exhaust systems through 6,000. As mention above the bad quality jobs can be miles down the road before it shows up.
We found 1/2" Difference in the header tube lengths on our Boss 302 Mustang in Trans-Am racing could change the pulse length and timing of the cylinders. Where every 3,300 (IIRC) RPMs they were almost opposing each other and not complimenting them. So twice in our usable RPM band we went flat on power.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I LOVE my shiny exhausts... Sat in my truck today admiring the exhaust on my N/A... MMMM I love shiny bits...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Most local muffler places are hacks (not all, just most!). They use cheaper materials and less than optimum welding - all stainless steel should be welded with a back gas treatment (the other side of the weld should be shielded with an inert gas when welding). I can't say I have ever seen that at a 'local muffler shop'....

Sometimes you get what you pay for...
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris White
Most local muffler places are hacks (not all, just most!). They use cheaper materials and less than optimum welding - all stainless steel should be welded with a back gas treatment (the other side of the weld should be shielded with an inert gas when welding). I can't say I have ever seen that at a 'local muffler shop'....

Sometimes you get what you pay for...
this is true of "Normal shops" the shops im talking about build drag cars on the side and have quality equipment that stand up to high Heat and HP applications. But to make sure ill ask questions before i commit. Granted my car isnt going to be a racer by any means.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
Why re-invent the wheel when someone has already built something you can buy spares for and is a clean install.
for your information. Most exhaust shops weld instead of clamp the exhaust in place. Essentially the same parts muifflers and such. I just see clamps as more of a leak factor then welds. No re-inventing necessary

Quick Reply: Feedback on Lindsey Racing 270 kit?