LR cam tower gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR cam tower gasket

Has anyone used the updated gasket by Lindsey Racing? I am hesitant to install another stock one.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Default What's wrong with stock

Hi,

Mine just started to leak (on the exhaust - and subsequently smokes nicely) and I was going to replace with a stock one.
What happened to your stock one that caused grief?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brett
Has anyone used the updated gasket by Lindsey Racing? I am hesitant to install another stock one.
I used it, and it's a nice piece. The stock piece has worked well for 20 years. I was having issues with mine, but this was a 3.0 at high boost. Felt the metal with coating would be the better long term option.

George
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by svtlrtls
Hi,

Mine just started to leak (on the exhaust - and subsequently smokes nicely) and I was going to replace with a stock one.
What happened to your stock one that caused grief?
Same for mine, but im not sure if it was torque or something else.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

The nice thing about the Lindsey is putting the cam tower back on with out the gasket getting pinched and moving around. You have to remember that it has a oil hole on one end only so has to go on the correct way ask me how I know. Mine has been on and off 3 or 4 times and just started leaking a little on the rear corner.
Clifton
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by theedge
Same for mine, but im not sure if it was torque or something else.

I've had two stock gaskets start leaking on my SFR headers. Once it started to burn.........No issues with the LR gasket, but I'm still always looking for the telltale smoke.

George
Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I now coat both sides of the cam tower gasket in Yamabond 4 - with a roller. Although messy, I've had good luck with that.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

What does high boost have to do with a cam tower gasket? Boost only effects the intake path, correct? I'd be more inclined to think that stock gasket failures are due to warpage, age of the gasket or poor wrenching technique, rather than design.

Sounds like Lindsey may have designed a cam tower gasket that adress those issues, good for them. Otherwise, you can go back and fix the underlying cause of the issue and drive for many miles with a stock one.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM
George D
Drifting

Completely agree. I had a very unique issue which should hopefully be fixed now. Like I stated in my post, these gaskets have worked well for over 20 years.

Having a flame on your header from dripping oil makes you nervous. At least it makes me nervous. I've got too much money tied up into this car.

The LR gasket is a great product. It's only a few bucks.

George

Originally Posted by sh944
What does high boost have to do with a cam tower gasket? Boost only effects the intake path, correct? I'd be more inclined to think that stock gasket failures are due to warpage, age of the gasket or poor wrenching technique, rather than design.

Sounds like Lindsey may have designed a cam tower gasket that adress those issues, good for them. Otherwise, you can go back and fix the underlying cause of the issue and drive for many miles with a stock one.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey George, sorry if I sounded like I was throwing rocks at you, I didn't mean it that way! The bottom line is that its nice that there is an alternative from Lindsey.

Regards,
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We sell more of those gaskets then the stock one. Probably 2 or 3 to 1. They are re-usable providing
you don't scratch off the rubber Viton coating. Just wash with soap and water, and re-use. We didn't
produce that gasket for any other reason then we wanted a stable and consistent thickness gasket for our solid lifter packages to give us proper valve lash. Just so happens to work very well on any car as well!
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by sh944
Hey George, sorry if I sounded like I was throwing rocks at you, I didn't mean it that way! The bottom line is that its nice that there is an alternative from Lindsey.

Regards,
No big deal. I didn't take any offense. At high boost/high RPM I blew two stock headgaskets about 1000 miles apart. Ordered the LR one for a short term hopeful fix to get me through a DE.

We thought it was a warped head or cam box. Took everything off and all was good. OK, must be excessive crankcase pressure. The motor got pulled.

We are creating some additional crankcase breathing and checking everything. We are also adding the LR steam vent kit.

Then decided to change out the turbo, then decided to go with a 968 bell housing, 911TT sport spessure plate and disc made specifically for their flywheel and my high tq motor. OOPS forgot we need a 968 flywheel. Ordered a alum flywheel from 968barn. Realized we can now use the factory flywheel sensor from the 968. Rewired the TECGT to the new sensor........dang car.

I must have an addiction. Don't know why I like these cars so much. I need help. Are there any 951 support groups or 12step programs?

Seriously, when things are running well in these cars with proper suspension, brakes, and 400-500whp, these cars are just a blast. Nothing gives me the same thrill, and I've driven most of what's available.

Sometimes I do feel remorse when spending big money on this car......like I am now.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Then decided to change out the turbo, then decided to go with a 968 bell housing, 911TT sport spessure plate and disc made specifically for their flywheel and my high tq motor. OOPS forgot we need a 968 flywheel. Ordered a alum flywheel from 968barn. Realized we can now use the factory flywheel sensor from the 968. Rewired the TECGT to the new sensor........dang car.
George,

What turbo are you going with this time? I am considering a GT3561 for my 3 liter build. But I want fast spool not crazy high horsepower.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
George D
Drifting

Know I did much research, and spoke with my engine builder, Garrity. Garrity used to teach the 951 engine building class for PCA in St. Louis. He has had much luck with his 3.0 engine builds using Garrett products. His shop has mostly 911TT's on the lifts, and some killer Cyclone motors being built.

Precision built a new ported housing using a forged billett wheel. It's called the 6262 Billett. They use a Garrett dual BB center section, forged wheel, and some other neat stuff on the housing.

We built a .58 hotside and a .62 coldside turbo. It's a T4, so my 4"intake will work fine. He also moved my intake filter outside of the engne bay to the front fender with a housing. To clean the filter, I'll have to take off the front driver wheel, but that's not an issue. Real cold air at intake will help make consistent power. Our engine bays get hot. Thought this was a great idea, and let him fabricate to his hearts content.

Hope this helps. Google the Precision 6262 turbo. They will build it to your specs. Precision makes good products. www.horsepowerfreaks.com uses their turbos for their M3 conversions.

Garrett makes great stuff. Speciality turbo manufacturers use their center sections for a reason.

Good luck with your build.

G

dual BB Garrett
Originally Posted by rluciano
George,

What turbo are you going with this time? I am considering a GT3561 for my 3 liter build. But I want fast spool not crazy high horsepower.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Realized we can now use the factory flywheel sensor from the 968. Rewired the TECGT to the new sensor........dang car.

I only realized this because Chris White told me. Wanted to give Chris the credit.

So, thanks Chris. I'll be calling you end of the month for some baseline tuning maps.

Can't wait to see the results of the motor you are building for Rolex.

Regards,

George

Quick Reply: LR cam tower gasket