Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Process - How to set boost level

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I never went over the amount I wanted. If I would come close, I would let off the throttle
Thinking about the possible rammifications inhearent with doing a procedure such as yours, I'd suggest not encouraging others as it could potentially damage their engine. Then again it's not my engine and if they wanna blow it up, more power to them!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm turning mine in A LOT and then working my way out. But I'm only gonna go up to about stock boost for now until I get the chips in. What was it that the stock computer would cut you out on? Overboost protection wouldn't allow you to go past stock very far would it?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to set mine and bench test the components before installing them. A little regulated air and some fittings and you can make sure everything works like you expect it before you put it in the car.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 PM
gtomarty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the boost controler in the car, I put mine under the hood and I have boost changes with temp changes, running a linsey dp and mbc 15psi at 96 creeps to 17 at 70 degrees in 4th, I'll be moving it inside soon. Have fun with setting it up! did mine on nice back road, you will be speeding a bit or maybe a lot. Mine was the latter.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hp18racer
I like to set mine and bench test the components before installing them. A little regulated air and some fittings and you can make sure everything works like you expect it before you put it in the car.
This is good advice. I had erratic behavior after installing a ball-and-spring type; a bench test uncovered a tweaked spring causing the ball to occasionally stick either partially open or completely closed. As a side note, this resulted in a few insane >20psi spikes ... my completely factory/unopened engine is fine. That's bad, and I'm extremely lucky, but if the controller is working and you're increasing in small increments there's no reason overshots should be destructively high.

Some extra things I did: I drove my car with the wg line connected directly to the charge pipe followed by a drive with a completely clamped line (you'll want to be very attentive, obviously). This helped, giving me the ability to perceive the kind of onset associated with a far-too-overset controller before even sending my right foot into the danger zone.

I also borrow a gigantic, calibrated gauge significant to 0.5 from a steamfitter whenever I set my boost. You'll appreciate something like this vs. an autometer gauge with a giant needle pointing vaguely at a scale featuring 5-psi increment marks.

Quick Reply: Process - How to set boost level