Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Appraisal Advice????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appraisal Advice????

Just wanted to see if you guys have any recommendation as far as getting my car appraised for insurance purposes. I figured it would be easier to get this paper work in line prior to an accident then after. So my question is what is a reasonable value and if anyone knows an appraiser personally in central ohio that would be great. Here's a little info on the car,

1987 951
48,000 miles
Lindsey 340 kit (super 71, 3", MBC, Spec Stg2 clutch, etc)

Have receipts for everything. Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

My local PCA does appraisals for free. Go to your local PCA website, there's just some paperwork to fill out and you send them pictures and all the maintenance/mods you've done on the car if i remember correctly.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by bigdeano
My local PCA does appraisals for free. Go to your local PCA website, there's just some paperwork to fill out and you send them pictures and all the maintenance/mods you've done on the car if i remember correctly.
I can tell you that insurance companies laugh-off/ignore the PCA appraisals. I suppose they consider them biased. You are much better off paying for an independent appraisal. Just make for daaam-sure you get an appraiser who is very well acquainted with Porsche (and likes 944’s - some don’t). Btw, this is not exactly easy to find.

Take it from recent experience (two year battle with Ins Co.) – you’re “much better off” insuring the car with someone like Hagerty @ the stated value you believe your car is worth. Company like Hagerty will pay a total loss claim at stated value no questions asked. Incomparably easier.

With a standard Ins. Co. and a 20 yr. old 944 that may well be upgraded/modified, and whether you have the car appraised pre or post loss, you will most likely face an uphill battle. At least that's the way it worked for me in Georgia.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good thread...i'm insured through state farm now (my other vehicles/home insured there as well) but know that they aren't covering for what my car is legitimately worth - especially since I've put ~$5k into it since I've had it. I think I have more in tires/rims and just my most recent upgrades (mainly MAF) then what they are currently insuring me for and I was just expecting to have to do battle with them should - god forbid - anything happen.

So with a company like Hagerty I can just say I think my car is 'worth' $12k and they will insure me for that? Interested in what other late 30'somethings with good driving records are paying for premiums on cars that they are insuring through these companies...trying to figure out what I should be paying.

EDIT - crap...looks like I'll have to a wait a year...Hagerty won't insure my car year...has to be older than 1986...arg!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Ive got an agreed value policy at 25k for 220-ish a year. Limited mileage, stored indoors, not my daily driver etc. Farm Bureau Insurance - they asked a ton of questions, wanted pictures and required an appraisal. Got mine from Brian Buxton www.buxtonmotorsports.com in Evansville, IN. He charges a few hundred for the appraisal...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
lejams
Pro

Yes, stated value but I believe it needs to be more than 15k. Hagerty will insure your car - select exotic on the quote. I had them quote me by phone. It was 400 something annually w/ unlimited mileage.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lejams
Yes, stated value but I believe it needs to be more than 15k. Hagerty will insure your car - select exotic on the quote. I had them quote me by phone. It was 400 something annually w/ unlimited mileage.
I would double-check that with Hagerty. I've never heard them offer an unlimited mileage policy. In fact, I've just had a couple of lengthy conversations with them and for "1980's" cars they want a limit of 3,500/year and quite a few other restrictions.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lejams
I can tell you that insurance companies laugh-off/ignore the PCA appraisals. I suppose they consider them biased. You are much better off paying for an independent appraisal. Just make for daaam-sure you get an appraiser who is very well acquainted with Porsche (and likes 944’s - some don’t). Btw, this is not exactly easy to find.

Take it from recent experience (two year battle with Ins Co.) – you’re “much better off” insuring the car with someone like Hagerty @ the stated value you believe your car is worth. Company like Hagerty will pay a total loss claim at stated value no questions asked. Incomparably easier.

With a standard Ins. Co. and a 20 yr. old 944 that may well be upgraded/modified, and whether you have the car appraised pre or post loss, you will most likely face an uphill battle. At least that's the way it worked for me in Georgia.
Couldn't agree more!

Quick Reply: Appraisal Advice????