Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok, either someone help me find a taller r&p or I may just give up and part it out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ok, either someone help me find a taller r&p or I may just give up and part it out!

Just got news back from Kevin Gross. Can't find a taller ring and pinion for my five speed or the six speed I bought. Carquip isn't calling me back on it anymore either after Eric Johnson said he found one and is no longer there. If I can't find a one, I may just give up and sell the car or something. Can someone help me out here? Initially, Albins in Australia was making a 3.1 for the six speed but they broke four during tooling. Plus it was expensive. One for the five speed would be much better.

I need taller. First gear is useless in my car. I'm looking for a 2.9 for the five speed or 3.1 for the 968 six speed I bought. Or anything close or taller. Just way taller than stock. Would rather have the five speed than the six speed for the weight savings. Audi parts are interchangeable but need a custom audi gear manufacturer I guess. Hopefully someone has an Audi connect. Or, any other trans that will bolt up without much problem. This sucks. I'm open for suggestions, but it has to be reasonable and feasable.. I have way too much power for stock gearing and I'm looking to upgrade even more. I'm even going to get a taller final gear for cruising, top speed, and mpg. Somone's gotta know someone! Help me out fellas! Three years without my car!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Joe, I'm in LAX airport and on an extremely slow PC but I have a question or two. Firstly are you after something that will just give you a higher top speed or do you want an overall taller gearbox? Is the overall strength of the gearbox important to you or do you think either of your trannys will hold up? Do you want to do a bunch of hard launches?

I have an idea but it's slightly left field. I can't PM at the moment as this system is stuffed, but I'll be back home tomorrow and depending on my Zombie state, I'll try and PM you with my idea.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a few pictures, floating around, of a late model Corvette transmission and rear end, installed in a 944 chassis.
I don't recall where the car is from or if it's a functioning vehicle. But it might be worth a try.

Why not just put a normal turbo transmission back in? You can at least drive it while getting the final solution.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just tub it and run some 20" wheels.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Just tub it and run some 20" wheels.
Now that is funny, but it will accomplish the desired effect.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Now that is funny, but it will accomplish the desired effect.
I had a chuckle at this too..... He is in Vegas though......
Old 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried calling Audi tuning companies?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
eniac
Drifting

I'm hoping to find a solution to this as well. I would love a six speed that has the first 5 gears of a 951 5 speed then an extra, taller 6th gear...or if staying with a 951 trans then a much taller R&P. I agree that first gear is useless.

Everyone is always asking about shorter gears but it seems we are the few that want to go the other way.

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Just got news back from Kevin Gross. Can't find a taller ring and pinion for my five speed or the six speed I bought. Carquip isn't calling me back on it anymore either after Eric Johnson said he found one and is no longer there. If I can't find a one, I may just give up and sell the car or something. Can someone help me out here? Initially, Albins in Australia was making a 3.1 for the six speed but they broke four during tooling. Plus it was expensive. One for the five speed would be much better.

I need taller. First gear is useless in my car. I'm looking for a 2.9 for the five speed or 3.1 for the 968 six speed I bought. Or anything close or taller. Just way taller than stock. Would rather have the five speed than the six speed for the weight savings. Audi parts are interchangeable but need a custom audi gear manufacturer I guess. Hopefully someone has an Audi connect. Or, any other trans that will bolt up without much problem. This sucks. I'm open for suggestions, but it has to be reasonable and feasable.. I have way too much power for stock gearing and I'm looking to upgrade even more. I'm even going to get a taller final gear for cruising, top speed, and mpg. Somone's gotta know someone! Help me out fellas! Three years without my car!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not contact a machinist to explore the posability of a full custom gear set? I found one company in Europe offering straight cut gears to your ratio spec for 16K (conversion rate SUCKS) but if they are doing it, why couldn't you? Just need to find a good machinist (or a company doing wire EDM..like these guys.. http://www.wireedm.com/)

It CAN be done, there just isn't anyone offering it off the shelf..you have waited 3 years? what is a few thousand $$ and a month or two?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try emailing Carquip, they've answered my emails pretty well before.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Have you tried to take the Ring out of the 5-speed and put it in the 6-speed..?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the taller 5th that I just took out of my S2.
We nicked one of the gears slightly when we pulled it but it should still be fine.
PM me if you're interested...
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

I think he is like me and wanting much more top end than the S2 5th ratio... the .730 or .600 is what im looking for... Any ideas on how to get the Nose Cone/rear case cover off..? I got all the bolts out but the dam cover still wont come off is there a bolt hidden somewhere maybe behind that rubber seal/plug..?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Hey Joe -

have you tried to call Richmond Gear to see if they will custom make a R&P for you.
www.richmondgear.com
That is where I would start

Quick Reply: Ok, either someone help me find a taller r&p or I may just give up and part it out!