Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Home Made MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PixxByTango
Sure... throw a $3500 Motec at it. Now... who is going to make up the harness, baseline tune it and take responsibility for popping the engine? Oh wait... where's the knock sensor? Oh yeah... that's another $1500.00 Wideband OPTION!
LOL! Thats what I did! I made my own harness. Pro-Technik did the initial tuning.

Im pretty close to you.. Go to HMSR yet?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Originally Posted by CPR
There is also a big difference between a Yamaha Waverunner and a 951
Really? How is that? Both have 4 cylinders living under massive boost. Mine however has a much more efficient way of intercooler being that I use pressurized lake water for cooling. I also have sequential fuel injection instead of Batchfire injectors hoping that their plug wires aren't breaking down or the distributor cap is void of moisture. The replacement cost of my engine is over $6500 at the dealer, $1700 just for the wire harness... I can buy a Used Porsche for that amount. I found 8 pages of them on AutoTrader.com at that price.

Lets get back on topic of how to tune a MAF via ECU tweaking. I am using examples. Tried & True examples of how to make it work. I'm not even saying the A'PEXi is doing it the "Cheap Way" more than I am saying it is a viable option to drastic mods like standalones or ECU swapping.

Think about it like this... if these newer piggybacks are working with later model feedback OBDII ECUs then they are a cakewalk for the older stuff. Don't let the cheap price fool you. These things are marketed with KIDS and their HonDuhs in mind. By offering these parts at a lower cost they sell a bajillion of them compared to the high dollar Motec systems that do the SAME things. If it accomplishes the SAME goal... does it matter what the sticker on the side of the box says?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95ONE
LOL! Thats what I did! I made my own harness. Pro-Technik did the initial tuning.

Im pretty close to you.. Go to HMSR yet?
Yes... I was at MSRH before going to Sebring and was supposed to go Mon & Tues of this week for the Andretti testing but was rained out. Sam's Great! Haven't seen him in a while. He is probably one of the best Porsche Tuners other than my brother I have ever met.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
spyder348
Pro

hey tango will the original safc 1 work? i understand you dont need all that the neo can do. or is the safc2 that much better.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
95ONE
Race Car

By offering these parts at a lower cost they sell a bajillion of them compared to the high dollar Motec systems that do the SAME things. If it accomplishes the SAME goal... does it matter what the sticker on the side of the box says?
Not exactly. Most piggy backs are ECU FOOLER's. meaning they will just throw in a higher/lower coolant temp for example, to make the computer add or subtract fuel. which is why the directions say you can only change fueling +/- 15%. Some of the bad side effects are the hidden ECU maps that will add or subtract timing based on those same temps that have been artificially changed. So now you're running a timing map that in no way matches what it should be.

The Tech 3's, and MoTeC, use straight forward mapping. And of course give a ridiculous amount of adjustment room...

Now, that said, YES, you can still make big power without resorting to this. As long as you don't have a faulty harness with crazy shorts like mine had.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
spyder348
Pro

honestly i can get any maf sensor for free. so im flow testing them seeing which one has the closest curve to the afm which might be fox body or cobra mustang maf. then if the curve is close enough i think an safc might fine tune the signal enough to work well
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

What are you going to do when the temperature changes?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
spyder348
Pro

im gonna try and find an Iat for free as well that has the same resistance table as the afm Iat and put that in the plumbing or just rip the iat out of the afm.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

but a MAF signal is already going to change withn temperature
Old 12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
spyder348
Pro

no density is a big thing and temperature changes density. iat is very important with a maf. it has to be at least i know thats the way these newer computers work altho it is an old one. well i know its at least important for the dme.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
spyder348
Pro

air passes over the hot wire and the amount it cools it pretty much tells the airflow more air the cooler thats y the comp needs an iat to compensate for weather change. so yeah the maf sensor will change temp. thats how it works. if u didnt have the iat in the winter the car would run rich.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I messed around with something a bit better than a random MAF and IAT (ARC-2 Huntley Racing MAF kit) and it sucked. No 2 ways about it. I wasted A LOT OF TIME.

I bought a Vitesse MAF kit, spent 30 min installing it, and have been enjoying my car ever since... it's the best way to go.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by MM951
I messed around with something a bit better than a random MAF and IAT (ARC-2 Huntley Racing MAF kit) and it sucked. No 2 ways about it. I wasted A LOT OF TIME.

I bought a Vitesse MAF kit, spent 30 min installing it, and have been enjoying my car ever since... it's the best way to go.
I gotta tell you.. I endorse this COMPLETELY.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder348
Originally Posted by alxdgr8
What are you going to do when the temperature changes?
im gonna try and find an Iat for free as well that has the same resistance table as the afm Iat and put that in the plumbing or just rip the iat out of the afm.
If you use TunerPro/Ostrich, then you can flatten the on-chip compensation for AIT. This way the DME does not 'double-compensate' for the change in ambient temp. This should really help out those who have switched to a MAF...

no density is a big thing and temperature changes density. iat is very important with a maf. it has to be at least i know thats the way these newer computers work altho it is an old one. well i know its at least important for the dme.
air passes over the hot wire and the amount it cools it pretty much tells the airflow more air the cooler thats y the comp needs an iat to compensate for weather change. so yeah the maf sensor will change temp. thats how it works. if u didnt have the iat in the winter the car would run rich.
That is correct for the AFM, however a MAF sensor reads air-mass directly, and shouldn't need a AIT.

Originally Posted by MM951
Frankly, I would not put much stock in the old Huntley stuff, and the ARC-2 is extremely limited (only 4 adjustments). And with TunerPro/Ostrich, you can address some of those issues directly in the DME.

-Rogue
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? How is that? Both have 4 cylinders living under massive boost. Mine however has a much more efficient way of intercooler being that I use pressurized lake water for cooling. I also have sequential fuel injection instead of Batchfire injectors hoping that their plug wires aren't breaking down or the distributor cap is void of moisture. The replacement cost of my engine is over $6500 at the dealer, $1700 just for the wire harness... I can buy a Used Porsche for that amount. I found 8 pages of them on AutoTrader.com at that price.

?

EXACTLY.

Quick Reply: Home Made MAF