Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Home Made MAF

Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PixxByTango
Really? How is that? Both have 4 cylinders living under massive boost. Mine however has a much more efficient way of intercooler being that I use pressurized lake water for cooling. I also have sequential fuel injection instead of Batchfire injectors hoping that their plug wires aren't breaking down or the distributor cap is void of moisture. The replacement cost of my engine is over $6500 at the dealer, $1700 just for the wire harness... I can buy a Used Porsche for that amount. I found 8 pages of them on AutoTrader.com at that price.

?
Originally Posted by CPR
EXACTLY.
Who wants to price out an engine and wiring harness for a 951?...
Apples to oranges...
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you Alex...that is what I was getting at. There is a BIG difference between the two motors. I mean sure basic tuning fundamentals apply, but with that logic you are saying an EVO III, JDM, Suby motor are the same as the 951. Which we all know are not even close....except that they have 4 cylinders and a turbo.

Wasn't trying to "fire" that guy up, just that tuning these cars is a bit more delicate. ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ask the people that have being tunning these cars for years. I spoke with Russell Berry last week about the issue that I have(Autothority). Well I'm not going to go to specifics but a Autothority is a complete different MAF then the others no wonder he told people that ran Autothority that he couldn't work on chips for them.Moral of the story why wasting so much money and time on something that was researched by people that know these cars. I'll rather pay $1000 dollars for the right setup then 7K to install a new engine. The Ostritch is a great tool but I heard that the hardware was crap because of the firmware bugs. If you have the time and money then I say go for it.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Originally Posted by CPR
I'm with you Alex...that is what I was getting at. There is a BIG difference between the two motors. I mean sure basic tuning fundamentals apply, but with that logic you are saying an EVO III, JDM, Suby motor are the same as the 951. Which we all know are not even close....except that they have 4 cylinders and a turbo.

Wasn't trying to "fire" that guy up, just that tuning these cars is a bit more delicate. ASK ME HOW I KNOW
My point is that the systems these days are not just "fooling" the computer. You have 16 points of rpm adjustment with multiple load points to compensate for any driving condition. Sure the engines are "different" as apples to oranges. I was simply stating that a mistake in tuning my Yammy mota is going to cost me not only a great sum... most likely I would be 3 miles offshore bouncing it off the rev limiter while jumping a 8 foot breaker when the engine oops in tuning would surface. Therefore, I take every precaution to know what I install... works flawlessly. In a car, I can pull over and call AAA. The SeaTow cost is a bit higher.

Also note, I have had a 951 years ago. I also had Dad's old 1986 Canadian Cup Cars with the ****ty interior and no A/C to play with out of High School. I have been through the tuning pains you are suffering and if I had the tools then I have now... the SAFCII is what I would have chosen.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
The Ostritch is a great tool but I heard that the hardware was crap because of the firmware bugs. If you have the time and money then I say go for it.
The Ostrich 1.0 was buggy. That was the hardware for the original Maxtronic. However, those bugs have been fixed and the new Ostrich 2.0 has been out for a while. I've personally been using it for a year without a single issue.

-Rogue
Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

My point is that the systems these days are not just "fooling" the computer. You have 16 points of rpm adjustment with multiple load points to compensate for any driving condition. Sure the engines are "different" as apples to oranges. I was simply stating that a mistake in tuning my Yammy mota is going to cost me not only a great sum... most likely I would be 3 miles offshore bouncing it off the rev limiter while jumping a 8 foot breaker when the engine oops in tuning would surface. Therefore, I take every precaution to know what I install... works flawlessly. In a car, I can pull over and call AAA. The SeaTow cost is a bit higher.

Also note, I have had a 951 years ago. I also had Dad's old 1986 Canadian Cup Cars with the ****ty interior and no A/C to play with out of High School. I have been through the tuning pains you are suffering and if I had the tools then I have now... the SAFCII is what I would have chosen.
how do you correct the errors in load based ignition tables when you introduce errors into the MAF load values by manipulating the MAF signal with an SAFC?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
how do you correct the errors in load based ignition tables when you introduce errors into the MAF load values by manipulating the MAF signal with an SAFC?
This is actually not as big of a problem as it seems. As long as your piggyback correct is moderate, then 'load' is not altered much.
And even more importantly, the 951 uses a 2D MAP for WOT fuel & timing. The DME reverts to this map nearly anytime you are in boost. Since the timing curve is set, it does not matter how much correction your piggyback is doing, timing will not change.

-Rogue
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Well the beautiful part is that using the SAFC with a larger MAF for airflow, most likely larger injectors or higher fuel pressure because we NATURALLY all want MORE BOOST... the programming that is RESTRICTED in the ECU for maximum timing allowed under a WOT Full Load situation would now net more effective timing if you were being aggressive with the fuel compensation. So in doing this you gain once more a faster spooling turbo and your limitation of what the factory gave you to be warranty proof with ****ty gas has now come into the realm of actually giving you just enough to be happy.

Should you WANT more than that gives... you buy a Crane Hi6TR or something to that effect, crank up the initial timing on the distributor and add a bit of timing retard/boost offset. Again... another alternative to Motec thinking it cannot be done. Still... in all components... SAFCII, CraneHi6TR, FPR & Injectors.... we haven't spent 1/3rd of what a standalone would cost to gain the SAME results. Oh but wait!! There's More!! If you want a 70-channel Data Acquisition system I can point you in the right direction for that as well for less than $1200.00 complete.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Well the beautiful part is that using the SAFC with a larger MAF for airflow, most likely larger injectors or higher fuel pressure because we NATURALLY all want MORE BOOST... the programming that is RESTRICTED in the ECU for maximum timing allowed under a WOT Full Load situation would now net more effective timing if you were being aggressive with the fuel compensation. So in doing this you gain once more a faster spooling turbo and your limitation of what the factory gave you to be warranty proof with ****ty gas has now come into the realm of actually giving you just enough to be happy.

Should you WANT more than that gives... you buy a Crane Hi6TR or something to that effect, crank up the initial timing on the distributor and add a bit of timing retard/boost offset. Again... another alternative to Motec thinking it cannot be done. Still... in all components... SAFCII, CraneHi6TR, FPR & Injectors.... we haven't spent 1/3rd of what a standalone would cost to gain the SAME results. Oh but wait!! There's More!! If you want a 70-channel Data Acquisition system I can point you in the right direction for that as well for less than $1200.00 complete.
Until your computer pulls so much timing that the EGT's go through the roof and *pop* goes your headgasket or much worse.
Note: not talking about a 951 here...would relate more to a Ford EEC-V and EDIS setup.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 AM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Until your computer pulls so much timing that the EGT's go through the roof and *pop* goes your headgasket or much worse.
Actually... the opposite would happen. If your computer were to pull timing, the engine would go pig rich. Then your turbo would lag causing a drop in airflow which the meter would see thus negating the need for timing pull.

Not quite sure how many cars you have worked on.... but your theory is not adding up here.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

we should all just use FMU's
Old 12-17-2009, 02:14 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Actually... the opposite would happen. If your computer were to pull timing, the engine would go pig rich. Then your turbo would lag causing a drop in airflow which the meter would see thus negating the need for timing pull.

Not quite sure how many cars you have worked on.... but your theory is not adding up here.
So your saying it impossible to pull enough timing out of a turbo car to generate damaging high EGT's? So engines self protect themselves and are indestructable?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 AM
PixxByTango
Advanced

So your saying it impossible to pull enough timing out of a turbo car to generate damaging high EGT's? So engines self protect themselves and are indestructable?
I am saying its not possible with the factory ecu safeguards in timing tables for it to have a timing dump and keep the airflow going enough to create a lean-pop. The safeguard will also enrichen the fuel mixtures. The problem you would then have is cylinder washing and gas in oil. All these hypotheticals are junkmail to someone who knows what they are doing when tuning a car. You might as well argue that now because you have more power or the desire to use it that you now need a safeguard from cops wanting to give you more tickets. Its absurd. If you do quality work, it will perform as designed. I've raced against a 944 turbo making over 400 whp from Corpus Christi, Texas in SCCA club racing and his car was tuned using the factory ecu, fmu and larger injectors with a fishtank valve for a wastegate controller. In his tuning capability he did just fine in a 4hr race with no issues. Give the same combo to an idiot and all the parts end up in a box.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

You guys are in need of better parts. Buy a Cobra or Lightning MAF and then use the A'PEXi SAFC II or Neo if you can find one. The SAFC II can be found for about $130 or less and the new NEO is about $350.00.
Yep! Thats what I got and all off ebay or craigslist. Been running this set up for 2 years and runs hard and no issues at all.

Lightning MAF cost me about $100 and the Neo was $175 with exisiting chips from Russell.

Done and Done!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

This is directly from the A'PEXi website:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5347
How did you know which MAF sensor to select on the NEO?

All listed were for Asian imports and certainly not 951, so I just selected the one that worked and idled fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home Made MAF