When to Give Up of 951??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheer up. It gets better, believe me!

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
Whenever I get depressed about the money aspect of my car, I go to the Porsche dealer and read window stickers. Check out what even an entry level Boxter costs. Then I shop other cars. A even a Smart Car costs something north of $12K. I always feel better afterwards.

I do this as well!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Bite the bullitt do it once & do it right (no short cuts) make sure the shop knows these cars otherwise you will spend 2 or 3 x the $$ later on.

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Cheer up. It gets better, believe me!

I do this as well!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you; every time I look at my car it costs me money. Every time I leave my mechanic (which is a good honest place, Powertech, and at this point the car has been well sorted out) I swear I'm going to get rid of the car. All the money I've spent I would have been better off getting a C5 Z06 or something.

Then I drive it up a twisty mountain road on a crisp fall day and fall in love all over again.

Let's face it, these cars run into schizophrenic, neglectful owners late in their lives. I've had mine since 2003. Obviously I love it too much to move on.

The problem is when I get my next full "toy/track" car, can I justify keeping the 951 too? I'm seriously considering looking for a farm with a barn to keep my cars safe & warm
Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Hi Dana,

If you are considering a rebuild or replacement I have a 951S motor that consists of a factory replacement block with only 20K or so miles on it and the 951S head, although I do not know if the head was freshened or not. I have not looked at the bores and seeing as the turbo was replaced it is possible the bores are not perfect but we could get a borescope and take a look. If you want all or part of it we can probably work something out as you are local. The motor has been in my shop since Will and I pulled it out of the 951S donor car I bought some years ago. I am in the early stages of selling off Turbo parts (or looking for a Turbo with a blown motor to fix.)

-Joel.
Joel, you don't happen to have a 951S transmission do you? (i.e. LSD/oil cooler/harder gears)?

-Dana
Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like your way of thinking Quinnfiske
Old 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I like your way of thinking Quinnfiske
I think many of us don't spend as much on our cars as we think we do. Consider your non-gearhead friends. Most of them probably buy new cars (and probably boring ones), drive them into the ground and sell them for junk. How much does that cost? We get the chance to drive cars that the automotive world was drooling over when they were new for a fraction of what they cost. I think the grief we sometimes suffer is worth it.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I personally would have stopped at the clutch and seal.

Then I would've bought another motor on my time and had it built then installed in about 6 months. Sold the old motor to recoup a small amount. Thats just me.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Ahhh, i would be in same position in 6 months. No time. I travel too much for work.

I had thought about the new engine thing....but that is $10K.....

Its the same problem..as long as I am building the engine...i should put in a big valve head....and a stroker...and a sleeved engine...and....and...its that "little bit more" thats a killer.

-Dana
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Ah... ok then. Then you just have a disease we all got from being on here. lol No cure yet. i think a few people found a cure when they lost their ***** in a marriage or something.. (Just a joke)
Old 01-09-2010, 03:51 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Ah... ok then. Then you just have a disease we all got from being on here. lol No cure yet. i think a few people found a cure when they lost their ***** in a marriage or something.. (Just a joke)
Well I did, I don't even want to ship anything to my house. The wife already has my priorities straight. I just finished vaccum the house.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quinnfiske
Whenever I get depressed about the money aspect of my car, I go to the Porsche dealer and read window stickers. Check out what even an entry level Boxter costs. Then I shop other cars. A even a Smart Car costs something north of $12K. I always feel better afterwards.
man, that's no ****. We're expecting kid #3 and are going to sell our Acura RDX for the new 2011 Sienna minivan. $40 freggin thousand for the LE AWD version. $40k for a minivan??

I hear ya on the costs...it helps if you can do some of that stuff yourself but understand you're miles away from your ride. I want a new turbo but I'm going to wait until I get some time and can get a few local folks with experience to help me wrench one in there - save the money and I learn more about my car. The only thing I have had done so far that I didn't do was the headgasket when that blew (and put new belts and a water pump on while it was all out). In a few more years, I'll be able to do that myself, I hope - but it was worth spending the $$ to get it done quick by a solid pro.

These cars will take as much as you can throw at em'. I spent $8500 on a very clean 87 turbo last year and have about $4k in it so far - and it ran great when I got it. A new 26/8 from Vitesse will get me to about $6k in it...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Well..see now i am thinking this could be a cost savings...i have seen where K27s are used on Hayabusas because the spool up "quick" and make "reasonable" power...

See..look at all the money I can save using the old K27 on the hayabusa....

-Dana

Quick Reply: When to Give Up of 951??