Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Project Thread

I was going to wait to start a project thread until I was a little furthur along, but I had a few requests to post. My car is a real mess currently, but I guess it has to get worse before it gets better.

Following is a list of some of the car's planned upgrades.

Engine
-DTA s60 pro Standalone EMS
-K 27/6 turbo
-COP ignition (coil on plug)
-replaced hoses on A/C lines.
-PICO fuel injectors

Brakes and suspension (86 944T)
-Big blacks
-87 hub and spindles
-adj camber plates
-F Koni ADJ w/ 400lb springs R Koni coilovers w/ 600lb (had T-bar delete done on aboandoned track project, have not deleted yet, may go w/ helper springs)
-MO30 F&R swaybars
-968 castor blocks
-Waiting on Custom A-arms to finish R&D

Interior
-rollbar and harness.
-PLX Display in tach (if works out)
-custom seats w/ shoulder and sub harness mounts.
-rear seat delete
-new steering wheel (either 930 or quick disconnect)

Exterior
-new paint
-968 style rear wing

Here is where i currently am. Have the engine in after repsraying the engine bay. Hope have running in a month or two and on the track early next year.

Steve
Attached Images      
Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Few more pics
Attached Images    
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Aw come on! It doesn't look as bad as you made it out to be! At least your engine is in your car and it can sit on its own wheels!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, your right. It will look much better when the rotor delete plug is installed.

Thanks again.

Really I am just ready to get it back on the road, been nine months. Have not really been much accomplished on the car this year. Been alot of set backs and moving componets form track project to this car. But its on it now.

Steve
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A mess? Man, I have a shell sitting in my garage.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
A mess? Man, I have a shell sitting in my garage.
Ha, Guess so, it feels like a mess to me w/ about 40 projects going on at the same time. ALso progress is so slow, since I had to have 2 hand surguries and 3 months of antibiotic threrapy for a strange mycobacterial infection that set up in my hand. I guess I am fortunate to be progressing at all.

Anyway, starting on the igniton system. I had planned on running a single larger Bosche coil, but mounting it was going to be ugly w/ me retaining alot of stock stuff. Also I saw Jasonlp's setup from Vic which prompted me to move to a coil per cylinder setup as well.

I have mocked up a template that I will have someone fabricate me up a Al. mounting bracket. These MSD coil specs seemed to be agreeable to Wayne @ TPG, and the design will be able to be mounted cleanly on the cam tower. There obviously will be four coils, but this is as far as im am going.

Steve
Attached Images  

Last edited by DrZ1; 10-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Adam Poland
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a stand alone so bad. How much was your system? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

New I am not really sure, you could contact Wayne @ TPG.

http://tpgproducts.com/index.html . I purchased an complete engine he was selling at the time and it came w/ the DTA standalone. It was plug and play as the wiring harness came with the engine. I am changing a few things , so I will need to have a new tune. It seems like a nice setup and can't wait to finish.

I am hoping to have running and ready for a tune in a couple months.

Steve
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Went ahead and mounted them, to get a better idea of the bracket design. May just have a local welder fabricate it for me.

Also needed them mounted so I can start wiring up the harness which is about half done.

Looking from the front, the coil tip is about level with the top of the fuel dampner. Any one have an idea with plug wires if I will have a clearance issue??

I will probably have magnacor make me a set of plug wires, not sure if they have any connectors to help clearance issues.

Steve
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you’re not going to use cruise control, (I do see the cable though), mounting the coils in place of the CC module is an option. Also sending the battery out back or using a smaller battery would free up space. Either of these options would at least keep the coils away from the headers.

Last edited by 951Saga; 10-03-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Saga
If you’re not going to use cruise control, (I do see the cable though), mounting the coils in place of the CC module is an option. Also sending the battery out back or using a smaller battery would free up space. Either of these options would at least keep the coils away from the headers.
I don't have all my parts here at the house, but looking at older photos of the car, I think the strut brace would be an option, I droped the setup about an inch, so I don't think I will have any clearace problems w/ the hood or strut brace.

I rather keep the coils close, so not a long run of plug wires. I am not anticipating a heat issue from the headers, they are coated to keep the heat down, but that is a good point, and I will check w/ MSD about heat tolerances.

Thanks
Steve
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Went by welder yesterday and had a bracket welded up, not too pretty but will get the job done. When i was working on the template, I relaized it would need to be designed on the car. Will finish lining up the coils and having enough glearance for the bolts, before having the nuts welded in place. Should have finished today, and get ready to have the intake back on.

Steve
Attached Images   

Last edited by DrZ1; 10-08-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does coil on plug make more power? Or does it allow for more boost?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice project!

Those are not however coil on plug but coil near plug. Coil on plug is where the coil sits directly on the spark plug without a plug wire.
BTW your coils are mighty strong!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:31 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Does coil on plug make more power? Or does it allow for more boost?
I would think that it would help produce more power at high Hp with the stronger ignition. But really having a EMS that would run this set, could not resist.

Originally Posted by Duke
Nice project!

Those are not however coil on plug but coil near plug. Coil on plug is where the coil sits directly on the spark plug without a plug wire.
BTW your coils are mighty strong!
Sorry correct, Coil near plug. Was considering COP, but it seemed like it would be more complicated at the time.

I will need to get back to the welder and notch the back of the bracket and flush mount the nuts, as two of them contact one of the cam tower plugs.

Glad I added the fire wall port, to get the ignition harness though and other harnesses such as Plx device's. Opening is a bit larger then the size of a quarter, and filling up. Working on adding a PLX fluid temp sensor that I will mount in the oil level sender spot.

Steve
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Thread