Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fix for turbo front turn signal gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fix for turbo front turn signal gasket

I've been getting a lot of vapor buildup inside the front turn signal lenses because the gaskets seem to have disappeared and the only way to get new ones is to buy a new lense. Probably not a huge deal but it's hard on the electrics and the reflectors behind the lense when they're constantly wet, especially this time of the year.

The fix was installing a kind of O-ring in the space between the body and the outside of the lense. The smallest size of rubber spline made for installing screens in screen doors seems to do the trick. It squeezes into the space to create a seal and hopefully will keep rainwater from getting forced in when driving.

That's my theory anyway, I'll let you know how it works. Not the most exciting fix, but it's all I've got to work with. Nothing else on my car has broken in an entire season of daily driving!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool, I 'll have to give this a try. How did you form it into an 'O'? Or did you just butt the ends together?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
I've been getting a lot of vapor buildup inside the front turn signal lenses because the gaskets seem to have disappeared and the only way to get new ones is to buy a new lense. Probably not a huge deal but it's hard on the electrics and the reflectors behind the lense when they're constantly wet, especially this time of the year.

The fix was installing a kind of O-ring in the space between the body and the outside of the lense. The smallest size of rubber spline made for installing screens in screen doors seems to do the trick. It squeezes into the space to create a seal and hopefully will keep rainwater from getting forced in when driving.

That's my theory anyway, I'll let you know how it works. Not the most exciting fix, but it's all I've got to work with. Nothing else on my car has broken in an entire season of daily driving!
I have the same problem no gasket ... That seems to be a great idea ....
A dab of RTV black of course and the butt ends will seal ( I believe the factory ones were just butted together but their fit is perfect and on the bottom of the lens
Regards
Ed
Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you form it into an 'O'? Or did you just butt the ends together?
Try a spot of permabond to join the ends, this is an o-ring industry standard.

Quick Reply: Fix for turbo front turn signal gasket