Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which Optima Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 04:45 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Which battery fits the 944 turbo? I looked at the site a while ago when I saw the add in my Panorama Magazine or Excellence Magazine.....can't remember which magazine. You don't have 944 turbo in the drop down.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Which battery fits the 944 turbo? I looked at the site a while ago when I saw the add in my Panorama Magazine or Excellence Magazine.....can't remember which magazine. You don't have 944 turbo in the drop down.
With most modern model Porches in general an H6 will fit in there nicely (vintage models and two battery configurations can be a different story) but with the 944's I think it may be spec'd for a T6 which is really just a little shorter than the H6 but the same otherwise. I don't believe there's any concern for the height differences as I've seen people even use a group 35 before which is even taller but at any rate you should be fine with either the H6 or T6.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

i run the shorter one in my street car, that way you don't have that issue with the + hitting anything... now... The racecar... ?

This.. and I didn't "cut" or modify any of the factory wires... BTW LOVE the "restart" button!

Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GPA951s
i run the shorter one in my street car, that way you don't have that issue with the + hitting anything... now... The racecar... ?

This.. and I didn't "cut" or modify any of the factory wires... BTW LOVE the "restart" button!
Wow that is a clean install!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
How about just going with a lithium battery? https://antigravitybatteries.com/

But in all honesty RUN fast away from Optima.... its latest batteries are not good at all. Go Interstate,o r Walmart Platinum Plus... which are the high end Johnson control Batteries but just branded as Walmart. Same Battery as the Bosch and many others. I do alot of tradeshows.... and the number one complained about battery is absolutely Optima. Best Marketing, worst battery.
Aw well I have been a fan of Optima's for years, But apparently, that was when they were made in America??

But a number of years ago, they sold out and these day's the Battery's are mad in Mexico and that does seem to be when the issue's started???
Old 11-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
Aw well I have been a fan of Optima's for years, But apparently, that was when they were made in America??

But a number of years ago, they sold out and these day's the Battery's are mad in Mexico and that does seem to be when the issue's started???
I had a ~2010 yellow top last about 6 years, its 2017 replacement lasted a little over one year, same car, same amount of driving, maintained on an Optima brand charger. Apparently Northstar is now the king of the hill, that said I replaced the second yellow top with a $150 Advance (Autocraft?) Platinum AGM and it has now lasted longer than the previous yellow top. I'll never buy another Optima.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My Porsche Optima red battery now sits in My 2006 Mazda sport 3GT.....rusty POS. The Mazda Panasonic original battery lasted 12 years. The Optima died a few times just sitting on the shelf and died once while in the Mazda.....loose connection I tightened I hope. Anyhow I would never buy an Optima again ever. Second worst battery I have ever purchased.

The worst batteries ever are Canadian Tire which you don't have in the US...They suck and are the worst batteries ever be glad you don't have them.

My next battery will be an Antigravity...and thanks for the advice Scott, H6 or T6 as I now will need a batteries when I get the 951's on the road.

Sorry not meaning to hijack but thought I would add regarding Optima and battery experiences.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Sorry not meaning to hijack but thought I would add regarding Optima and battery experiences.
It's not really "off point??" Optima Battery, still made sales, these day's based on a "Reputation," they once had and no longer deserve. But if you weren't there in the beginning, you'd not know they are no longer the same' as they "once," were??? My original red top in the early 90's. Lasted years beyond the sale by date. Long enough for me to start seeing complaints start to roll in??

It was kinda perplexing?? And then I found out they were no longer made in the USA?? And that does seem to be when "crap changed??" And these day's apparently having them die within the first year, is not uncommon??? It's kinda sad to see.

Quick Reply: Which Optima Battery?