Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Odd running issue that showed up today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Odd running issue that showed up today...

I talked it over with Rogue, I think I may have the AFM f*cking up on me. but I wanna get a general consensus on what could be wrong.

Basically, here's what happened.

this morning, -16 degrees, went to start the car, ended up killing the battery trying. jumped it, it ran just fine. drove to work. all was well.

After work, got in the car, went to drive home, car started fine, go on a 10 mile jaunt on the freeway, noticed a hesitation with throttle, exit the freeway, stop at the stop sign, and the car stalls. start it up, car stalls. start it again, car stalls again. start it a 3rd time and it runs fine. drive 2 miles, turning into a strip mall, car stalls. go to start it, no avail. try again, car does nothing. start a 3rd time, it sputters, pops, and stalls. start a 4th time, nothing. battery starting to go weak. (it's -3 degrees again). figure I should push the car out of the way. do that, start it again, it fires up just fine. pop the hood, everything looks good (no disconnected hoses, no blown apart TPS, etc). I go park it, run in the store, come back out, start it up fine. drive home. still have a hesitation under throttle. Make it home just fine and park it.

Rogue thinks it may be that the AFM body due to the cold may have contracted and has the AFM door stuck or sticking. Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had plates on my car so I could run it in this fine Colorado weather and feel the effects of that cold air. Anyway, run a heater by the AFM to warm it up and then drive around to see if the problem is still persists? It has been cold as **** lately here...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Also consider the dme temp sensor .
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

another thought, it looks like the cold may have (read as: Probably) ****ed my battery. could low power be causing it to act up?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Once the car is running, the car doesn't really do much with the battery unless you're running a high electrical load (at idle) to where the alternator doesn't provide enough juice to keep the car running (big stereo cranking, headlights on, rear defroster on, etc.)

The only time I've had the car start/stall right away like that is when I was working on it and forgot to plug the AFM back in. I'd start there. I suppose it's possible that with the cold air flowing through it, any grease or grime could be getting pretty thick and making a borderline AFM start to stick and behave erratically.

Last edited by User 52121; 02-03-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added "at idle"
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
another thought, it looks like the cold may have (read as: Probably) ****ed my battery. could low power be causing it to act up?
It wouldn't unless your alternator dosn't work then your car wouldn't run for very long.

If you want to check your AFM door, on a cold morning the snorcle (top half) off the air box and take the black lid off the AFM and you can see the movement of the prong that's attached to the flapper. Don't touch it and turn the car on, then go and look at the prongs movement. Rev the car (need to be a little hard on the throttle) to see if the prong swings right to the fully open position. If it gets stuck, theres a problem there. also move it with your finger to the open positions and the car will choke. but do it with the car off to feel if it gets stick anywhere.

If the air temp sensor in the AFM dosnt work this will cause hesitation also with less fuel going to the engine. but it dosn't seem like thats your problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

You might also consider the basics water in the fuel filter freezing
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like fuel line is partially frozen. Try gas line deicer.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

So whomever guessed AFM is right. Door sticks open. looks like it's been rubbing enough to the point where it's chewed up and holding the door open.

soooooooo... I need an AFM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you post this. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. My door stuck open. I just had to push it and it was fine went back to place. I cleaned out my AFM just to make sure. Haven't had an issue since.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

You should be able to find one pretty easily with everyone upgrading to MAF's...
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
You should be able to find one pretty easily with everyone upgrading to MAF's...
and V8's
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

+1 internets for me
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So whomever guessed AFM is right. Door sticks open. looks like it's been rubbing enough to the point where it's chewed up and holding the door open.

soooooooo... I need an AFM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
elargentino
Banned

I talked it over with Rogue, I think I may have the AFM f*cking up on me. but I wanna get a general consensus on what could be wrong.

Basically, here's what happened.

this morning, -16 degrees, went to start the car, ended up killing the battery trying. jumped it, it ran just fine. drove to work. all was well.

After work, got in the car, went to drive home, car started fine, go on a 10 mile jaunt on the freeway, noticed a hesitation with throttle, exit the freeway, stop at the stop sign, and the car stalls. start it up, car stalls. start it again, car stalls again. start it a 3rd time and it runs fine. drive 2 miles, turning into a strip mall, car stalls. go to start it, no avail. try again, car does nothing. start a 3rd time, it sputters, pops, and stalls. start a 4th time, nothing. battery starting to go weak. (it's -3 degrees again). figure I should push the car out of the way. do that, start it again, it fires up just fine. pop the hood, everything looks good (no disconnected hoses, no blown apart TPS, etc). I go park it, run in the store, come back out, start it up fine. drive home. still have a hesitation under throttle. Make it home just fine and park it.

Rogue thinks it may be that the AFM body due to the cold may have contracted and has the AFM door stuck or sticking. Thoughts?
You are at 5280 ft and -16 F and doing short (10 mile) trips?

I will now open the tech shop.
Any more suggestions, before I give him the cure?

Quick Reply: Odd running issue that showed up today...