Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gauging interest in Oetiker clamp kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gauging interest in Oetiker clamp kit

I was sent some clamps from oetiker to try out, as the rep in my area was very helpful since the clamps are not available anywhere around me.

I need to order more and would like to have a complete kit with a wide range of sizes. Problem is that most places sell in packs of 100, which I may not use any . The packs Oetiker sent were in packs of 10 which was perfect. Mcmaster -Carr will sell in packs of 25 (which I may do if no interst) but there are size gaps in their inventory.

I fiqure there are other members that live in rural areas w/o acess to the clamps that would like to have their own kit. I was thinking of breaking bags of 100 into 10 sets of 10.

I am open to any suggestions, including wanted sizes, of couse if enough interest, would need to get appraval from RL, IIRC.

Steve
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics links what are they?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

They are somewhat of a permanent solution. If you remove it, you have to replace it.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which type are you getting, the worm drive or crimp?
http://www.hweckhardt.com/clamps/OetikerMain.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in an assortment of worm drive clamps if it isn't too expensive.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Sorry forgot to post a link, was running a quick errand. They are the stepless ear clamps, Product 167

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

Steve
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went to the hardware store and they had all sizes... Why are these better than worm gear style? I guess if you are buttoning up a complete rebuild and don't plan to remove anything for 30k?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix_iii
I just went to the hardware store and they had all sizes... Why are these better than worm gear style? I guess if you are buttoning up a complete rebuild and don't plan to remove anything for 30k?
Depending on the quality if the worm gear clamp, it may not hold tension for as long as you'd like.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

If you have a http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html...od/oetiker.htm dealer near you, they have kits with several sizes and the proper tool to crimp the clamp.

BTDT.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeaCay
If you have a http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/html...od/oetiker.htm dealer near you, they have kits with several sizes and the proper tool to crimp the clamp.

BTDT.
Pfft, that's really my problem. No one carries these things. Some carry the double ear types, but not these which seem to really work well. So I would rather just keep my own inventory, but would rather hold on to 200-300 clamps (20-30 sizes) then 2000-3000.

If I have 10 people interested, I will order, else I guess I will keep searching.

EDit: I did contact Hydraulic Supply and they do sell individually, so I will go that route, unless alot of interest. I had seen their name pop up on the google search, but I had passed over them because other sites were interactive.

Thanks for the reference. glad I called them
Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 03-04-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrZ1
Pfft, that's really my problem. No one carries these things. Some carry the double ear types, but not these which seem to really work well. So I would rather just keep my own inventory, but would rather hold on to 200-300 clamps (20-30 sizes) then 2000-3000.

If I have 10 people interested, I will order, else I guess I will keep searching.

EDit: I did contact Hydraulic Supply and they do sell individually, so I will go that route, unless alot of interest. I had seen their name pop up on the google search, but I had passed over them because other sites were interactive.

Steve
The stepless ear clamp kit comes with 8 different sizes of clamps, 10 of each size, plus the pliers.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Possibly going to show my ignorance, but what is wrong with good old fashioned worm gear clamps from AutoZone?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Possibly going to show my ignorance, but what is wrong with good old fashioned worm gear clamps from AutoZone?
They suck?

Seriously, Autozone (et al) clamps are not nearly as sturdy as anything made by Oetiker. If you want your clamp to be the weakest link, fine. I'll stick with OEM quality though.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I was sent some clamps from oetiker to try out, as the rep in my area was very helpful since the clamps are not available anywhere around me.

I need to order more and would like to have a complete kit with a wide range of sizes. Problem is that most places sell in packs of 100, which I may not use any . The packs Oetiker sent were in packs of 10 which was perfect. Mcmaster -Carr will sell in packs of 25 (which I may do if no interst) but there are size gaps in their inventory.

I fiqure there are other members that live in rural areas w/o acess to the clamps that would like to have their own kit. I was thinking of breaking bags of 100 into 10 sets of 10.

I am open to any suggestions, including wanted sizes, of couse if enough interest, would need to get appraval from RL, IIRC.

Steve
How weird ... I just ordered these last week and they came today
I was going to ask on the board here, but figured that not to many, would be interested. So I picked them up from a guy on-line ... The McMaster Carr lots were too big, as you mentioned. So I bought a sample lot, from this guy. He sells them in packs of 10, and he is very reasonable ...
I wish there was a HW store around here that carried them !!
Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Depending on the quality if the worm gear clamp, it may not hold tension for as long as you'd like.
I also found a guy on-line that sells the Norma clamps and his prices are very reasonable ... The clamps were in OK shape, but were kind of greasy (I guess that just the **** part of me coming out)

Steve
The cost of these are pretty high from places that sell one's and two's. but if you only need a few then no big deal The only issue with the guy I found on-line is the largest size he sells is 27.1 .... but his prices are the best and customer service is top notch
Originally Posted by SeaCay
The stepless ear clamp kit comes with 8 different sizes of clamps, 10 of each size, plus the pliers.
Originally Posted by Scott H
These are just so clean looking, and take up so litttle room in an engine bay, that you can barely fit a fart in
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

They are a lot cleaner looking and take up so little room and they are supposed to hold better ( at least that's their pitch ) ( constant tension, 360 degree hold yada, yada, yada If you go to their website they give ya a whole sales pitch... which needless to say, I bought