Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sell the 88 Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sell the 88 Turbo S?

Thinking of selling my 88 Turbo S Silver Rose to find something I won't feel bad about turning into a more track oriented car. Love the car, and would keep it if I could afford to keep this AND have a track car. This car is too nice to start messing around with too much. Would rather it go to another who will appreciate it as much as I have.

Thinking of pricing at 17k. Pics are here.
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...4%20Turbo%20S/

What do you guys think?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Price seems a tad high. Good luck getting as much as you can for it!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does seem high, but I hope you get every penny of that.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I imagine you'll miss it but glws.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always loved the silver rose color. I think you are right about leaving it alone. You should photograph it in sunlight rather than flourescent light. It will look lots better.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, whats been done to the car. I see 17 as seriously modified "the right way" money for a 951
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just a car, keep it, do what you want with it and have fun.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
TX951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
It's just a car, keep it, do what you want with it and have fun.
+1

I don't think there is a better car out there, for the price, that makes such a good track ***** and rare/cool driver...

GLWS!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
so, whats been done to the car. I see 17 as seriously modified "the right way" money for a 951
Timing belt was done at 38k miles about 1 1/2 years ago and just checked tension a couple months ago and all is well there. Some simple mods have been done within the past 5k miles; Vitesse chip, 3 bar FPR, Tial wastegate, Forge diverter valve, Manual boost controller, 968 M030 Front and Rear swaybars with KLA brackets up front, 968 Castor blocks, 968 Turbo Cup front brake air deflectors, stainless steel brake lines, VDO boost gauge, and E-code H4 Headlights. Also has had full tuneup within past 5k miles as well; plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, lower power steering hose, and high pressure radiator cap. Car also has new slotted/painted front rotors and correct new rear Koni shocks. 3 inch test pipe/catback that is not currently on the car. There's also lots spare parts that would go with it as well as new maintenance items.

Last edited by Djbrand1; 06-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If it has extremely low mileage, it might be worth that kind of money. However two things are going to ruin it for a buyer-collector.
1. Discolored rock guards
2. modded even only slightly.

If I where trying to get top dollar for a rare low mileage (very clean btw) car. I would put it back dead stock and give the new owner the parts and change the rock guards.

Good luck with the sale, looks like a very nice and clean example.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Yes, I agree. I have all original parts still. I do have the replacement stone guards, just trying to get myself to put in the elbow grease to replace them.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
If it has extremely low mileage, it might be worth that kind of money. However two things are going to ruin it for a buyer-collector.
1. Discolored rock guards
2. modded even only slightly.

If I where trying to get top dollar for a rare low mileage (very clean btw) car. I would put it back dead stock and give the new owner the parts and change the rock guards.

Good luck with the sale, looks like a very nice and clean example.
100% agreed.

I think that if you really want to get $17k for this car, then you're going to be looking for a collector type of buyer - someone who is specifically looking for a low-mileage unmolested example.

Even though the mods you have are pretty basic, they will be a turn-off. The kind of person who will find those mods attractive is most likely not the kind of person who is going to be willing to pay 17k for a low-mileage car. If *I* were shopping for a car, then what you have done would be VERY attractive to me... but not at $17k.

Take all the stuff off, put it back to stock. Get the rock guards redone. And hock the performance parts on eBay or here on RL. You'll get more for them that way.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll sell you a Silver Rose track car...
Attached Images    
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

IMHO 17 is a far cry for this car in this condition.. not trying to be a dick, but trying to be realistic.. IIRC the last low mileage silver rose car to sell went for a touch over 18, but had fewer miles, and was 100% stock, untouched, as delivered from the factory. (although I don't beilieve the rims are the correct ones, but I could be wrong)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...item256408a40d

For 17 it would need to be fully restored to stock condition, including new rock guards, full respray, new (matched) tires, and be in absolutely perfect condition.. inside and out (seat fabric would need to be redone, carpet / floor mat issues would need to be resolved either with full redye or NOS replacement

17 is possible, but optomistic if these things were done, but as this car sits (rock guards, paint, seating, carpet, mismatched tires, modded) I think even 12 is a stretch, with 10 being much more likely. Basicly to pull 17, it should be almost concourse ready.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
IMHO 17 is a far cry for this car in this condition.. not trying to be a dick, but trying to be realistic.. IIRC the last low mileage silver rose car to sell went for a touch over 18, but had fewer miles, and was 100% stock, untouched, as delivered from the factory. (although I don't beilieve the rims are the correct ones, but I could be wrong)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...item256408a40d

For 17 it would need to be fully restored to stock condition, including new rock guards, full respray, new (matched) tires, and be in absolutely perfect condition.. inside and out (seat fabric would need to be redone, carpet / floor mat issues would need to be resolved either with full redye or NOS replacement

17 is possible, but optomistic if these things were done, but as this car sits (rock guards, paint, seating, carpet, mismatched tires, modded) I think even 12 is a stretch, with 10 being much more likely. Basicly to pull 17, it should be almost concourse ready.
I think you are dead-on in your assessment. Perhaps teh pictures do not do this car justice, and I know the engine pictures need to be retaken with less light, but in these pictures, the cloth on the interior looks faded, the engine and undercarriage look old and dirty, etc. Needs a lot of detailing, repainting/replating, and some interior work to get that kind of money, IMHO. Looks like a nice $10K car to me.

Quick Reply: Sell the 88 Turbo S?