Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil brands recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Go to bob is the oil guys website and you can read till youre old.
I didn't like the BITOG site. Seemed to be sponsored by Mobil 1 and pushed lite visc oils for flat tappet cars.
Especially by a guy called Doug Hillary who they seemed to have a slavish belief that he knew our cars.
The best thread for oil is on Pelican. It's long and evolves over time so you can skim through it a little
but at least it's based on real world experience by guys like Steve Weiner and Charles Navarro who have
been working on these motors for many a year.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...4-sm-oils.html
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BITOG has its distractions, but I like the VOA and UOA trends. Not that it really matters. Mobil doesn't have a stake in BITOG, anymore than the Sprint wireless ad I see on the top of my Rennlist screen does.

The debate on oils is almost a joke, anyway. 951s rarely fail because of a bad oil. Timing belts and head gaskets don't care what oil one uses. #2 bearings go no matter what the zddp level is.

Just my opinion, but worrying about the oil in the 951 is way down on the list of things that will take it out of action.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
BITOG has its distractions, but I like the VOA and UOA trends. Not that it really matters. Mobil doesn't have a stake in BITOG, anymore than the Sprint wireless ad I see on the top of my Rennlist screen does.

The debate on oils is almost a joke, anyway. 951s rarely fail because of a bad oil. Timing belts and head gaskets don't care what oil one uses. #2 bearings go no matter what the zddp level is.

Just my opinion, but worrying about the oil in the 951 is way down on the list of things that will take it out of action.
So what is the reason for the #2 bearing spinning?

I have read that bearings should be replaced at 150k miles etc ... but doing just the bearings is not too wise are the bolts would have stretched and rods would need resizing. Unless oil pressure is low, I don't like it as an idea of while you're in there.

Bearings generally go due to poor lubrication or lubrication failure. Is this also the case here?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

"Just my opinion, but worrying about the oil in the 951 is way down on the list of things that will take it out of action."

I believe the reduced ZDDP levels are a fairly recent development. Not positive, but I think with the latest motor oil specification. It is possible that the potential problems have not surfaced yet.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
RobE952
Advanced

+1 for Joe Gibbs XP4

or your favourite oil + ZDDP additive. Can get both from Lindsey Racing.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mobil 1 15W50 for me. Been using M1 for a long time in past P-cars. Once in a while, Target or W-Mart have a sale and you can get these for under $4 a quart, pretty good deal for me so I continue using it.

[No one has mentioned Mobil 1 15w50? Not a good choice for this car? ]
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all your help guys.
I did some research last night and found a Brad Penn distributor near Montreal.
I went to get some this morning. The price is really really good, 5.11$ CAN a quart, but I bought 2 cases.

If anybody in Mtl is interested, here's the address, the service is excellent, its near Kanawake, you can fill up your tank for cheap at Shell at the same time : )

D.D. Distributions Lubrifiants, Inc
69 Boulevard Saint-Remi
Saint-Remi, Quebec JOL 2L0
Canada
Denis Doyon
450-454-3978

Last edited by eric951turbo; 09-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did oil change last night and did a good hour drive with the car since.

COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT I ALREADY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE??????

The engine is running smoother, the idle is steadier, and feel like the car is running stronger????????

I LOVE THIS GREEN STUFF :t humbsup::thu mbsup:
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
RobE952
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Mobil 1 15W50 for me. Been using M1 for a long time in past P-cars. Once in a while, Target or W-Mart have a sale and you can get these for under $4 a quart, pretty good deal for me so I continue using it.

[No one has mentioned Mobil 1 15w50? Not a good choice for this car? ]
I used to run Mobil 1 15W50 until I learnt about the ZDDP issue. I found that I burnt a lot of oil with the mobil 1 compared to dino-oils I tried. Not sure why. For a while I used a ZDDP additive in other non-syn oils then I found a place that sells Joe Gibbs.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex_GTX
So what is the reason for the #2 bearing spinning?

I have read that bearings should be replaced at 150k miles etc ... but doing just the bearings is not too wise are the bolts would have stretched and rods would need resizing. Unless oil pressure is low, I don't like it as an idea of while you're in there.

Bearings generally go due to poor lubrication or lubrication failure. Is this also the case here?
Isn't it due to excessive clearance at the thrust bearing due to wear as a result of clutch pressure? Then when you depress the clutch at high revs for a gear change (maximum load on the rod due to loss of combustion cushion) the thrust bearing clearance opens up and you lose oil pressure at #2.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
I did oil change last night and did a good hour drive with the car since.

COULD IT BE POSSIBLE THAT I ALREADY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE??????

The engine is running smoother, the idle is steadier, and feel like the car is running stronger????????

I LOVE THIS GREEN STUFF :t humbsup::thu mbsup:
Hope you used a Mahle oil filter.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've always used Castrol 20w-50 in the 924S, but it's been a few years since I've bought any. When I went to look at Walmart the other day, they only have quarts - no 1 gallon jugs, and the quarts are too expensive for dino oil as far as I'm concerned.

So, with the recommendations of this thread, I decided to try Brad Penn. I found it locally at Zims for 4.95/qt when you buy 2 cases... otherwise it's 5.95.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay so Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs- what would you guys recommend for a 3L street engine? Only after repeated spirited driving that the oil light comes on and I would need to at about 1/2 quart using M1. But even so, that's maybe one time between oil changes (approx 5K). I guess it doesn't hurt to try something different. Are these synthetic compatible with one another? Maybe we should do a poll...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for VR-1 20-50W. Autozone runs sale every other month, $2.99 each, no better deal than that for high ZDDP oil. Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs are nice choices as well, just not as cost effective.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Isn't it due to excessive clearance at the thrust bearing due to wear as a result of clutch pressure? Then when you depress the clutch at high revs for a gear change (maximum load on the rod due to loss of combustion cushion) the thrust bearing clearance opens up and you lose oil pressure at #2.

Cheers,
Mike
So if you are losing oil pressure why does it matter that the bearings are new or old?

Quick Reply: Oil brands recommendations