Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheese head axle bolt torque spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just ordered a replacement set up bolts with new GKN axles from Pelican. I have the trans mount cross member out now and I am doing the poly fill fix. I may even go with a custom brace to hold the trans. Hopefully that will correct the issue of snapping the CV joints.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:26 PM
RacingDreamz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a complete set of axle bolts from Pelican and when they came, they are not the correct size. I had been feeling and hearing some unusual feels and sounds in the rear end. Checked the axles and found that some of the axle bolts are gone. So ordered a complete set from Pelican. When they came, they were too small and too long. Order said 8x48mm. But these bolts just slip in the holes and wont thread. Plus they hit end with about 1/4 inch sticking out when in. Plus I purchased a tork bit from the local auto parts place that fits these bolts, but they wont fit the other bolts that's in the axles hubs.
Any suggestions? Anyone know exactly what size bolts I need?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacingDreamz
I ordered a complete set of axle bolts from Pelican and when they came, they are not the correct size. I had been feeling and hearing some unusual feels and sounds in the rear end. Checked the axles and found that some of the axle bolts are gone. So ordered a complete set from Pelican. When they came, they were too small and too long. Order said 8x48mm. But these bolts just slip in the holes and wont thread. Plus they hit end with about 1/4 inch sticking out when in. Plus I purchased a tork bit from the local auto parts place that fits these bolts, but they wont fit the other bolts that's in the axles hubs.
I'd call Pelican, they'll make it right. The correct axle bolts are 8x48. They may have sent the wrong set by mistake.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingDreamz
I've ordered those bolts from Pelican many times with no issues. You just got the wrong bolts for whatever reason. Pelican has great support and will replace them with the correct bolts without any problem. The head of the bolt does not use a torx bit. Those bolts take a so-called "triple square" socket bit (size M8). Most of the local auto parts stores are carrying them these days, or Sears, Summit, Amazon, etc. Search here for lots of tips on keeping the bolts from backing out -- clean out all grease, torque in star pattern to spec, use the factory clamp/washer things, etc.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:58 PM
RacingDreamz
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, Tom.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 AM
Speeddemon944
Advanced

Per the manual it is 31 ft lbs.

I have never had any issues with them backing out once torqued to the above spec. I have had issues of backing out when not torqued to 31. Even 30 could cause them to back out. The manual says 31 for a reason. This is on a 951S with 290 torque (weak I know but works well for the racing class I am in) raced hard but well.

I use them multiple times and watch for stretching. I then toss them after 3-4 uses.

Quick Reply: Cheese head axle bolt torque spec?