Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LSD option - Wavetrac Differentials?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
I think it's quoted incorrectly because there is a LOT more breaking HP than there ever is acceleration HP. Didn't Porsche even used to quote braking HP equivalent numbers?

TonyG
Hi Tony, good thought, however isn"t it true that the torque from the brakes is reacted out through the chassis and therefore the ramps don't see this? I think Chris was talking about engine braking, which is lower torque than engine acceleration.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Hi Tony, good thought, however isn"t it true that the torque from the brakes is reacted out through the chassis and therefore the ramps don't see this? I think Chris was talking about engine braking, which is lower torque than engine acceleration.

Cheers,
Mike
Actually you're correct. I was looking at it from the wrong context.

TonyG
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
The reality is that if you only change the diff (and nothing else), the specs are so close that it almost doesn't matter.

Not to say that it's not possible that things could be way off, but based on my last 6 diff swaps (in a AOR, 5R, 5S, etc.. trans...), that has not been the case. I just slip it in and go.

But even with a diff swap in to each of those transmissions, in no case was there any R&P whine/growl, and after dissasembly, there has never been any sign of R&P weird wear patterns, nor has there ever been a R&P failure.

So to answer your question...

The reason I slip in a different diff and go, is because I change nothing else. If you change a diff carrier bearing, change a ring gear, change a side plate, then all bets are off. The R&P lash must be set (and that's a big job for sure).
Whine and R/P tooth wear would be an indicator of incorrect lash. Too much or not enough preload can chew up the bearings prematurely. So if youre not seeing or hearing anything unusual, I agree thats a real good indicator that housing dimensions are good enough - swap and go.

My question is/was, how are you pulling the diff bearings off w/o damaging the cages so they can be reused?

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek

Cheers,
Mike
Yeah, the LSD needs resistance to lockup. Differential wheel speed will do that, but in straight line deceleration, its only the engine braking offering resistance, which isnt much. This is where the diff preload on the clutch pack makes some difference. If there no or not enough preload, you (or the car) may actually feel the diff starting to lock as the rear end loads and unloads between cornering, straightline acceleration, braking and coasting.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Baptizo
Regardless of the direction of the "debate", I'm still getting a Wavetrac for my 951 and Bronco. I've read enough reviews about how it works for daily driving, modest track duty, and off-roading that it'll fit my needs perfectly.
Did you ever have the Wavetrac LSD installed?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Did you ever have the Wavetrac LSD installed?
Non.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
embacpa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the wavetrac installed and am replacing with a guard. it's ok for street and almost anything should be, but it does not inspire confidnece on the track. it simply does not lock the wheels in step under hard breaking and i feel i did not get the benefit of my bargin. would love to hear if anyone has a good experience on the track.

that said, it is ok for street. so, i will have a slightly used one (5 DE weekends and about 10k miles) for sale soon. let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the wavetrac help with autocross or slick conditions on the road.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pm sent

Quick Reply: LSD option - Wavetrac Differentials?