Something blew up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Oil at 50-70psi probably does not care if it sees a few psi of vacuum on the other side of the seals.
Good point. I'm at a loss as to why a freshly rebuilt and inspected turbo would come apart after less than 200 miles.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sucks. I also agree that adding the pcv valve should not cause a problem. I would say your turbo had problems from the rebuild which was causing your smoking problem to begin with.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

90% of the idle smoke went away with the check valve in place, but I agree that I shouldn't have been smoking at all with a freshly rebuilt turbo. I'm going to give Dave Lindsey a call in the morning to find out what sort of warranty the rebuild came with.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Clown
Instructor

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
90% of the idle smoke went away with the check valve in place, but I agree that I shouldn't have been smoking at all with a freshly rebuilt turbo. I'm going to give Dave Lindsey a call in the morning to find out what sort of warranty the rebuild came with.
Matt,

I had my turbo rebuilt the same week by the guy Lindsey uses. I have a garret hybrid. I remember Dave saying that there was a k26 being rebuilt as well. Must have been yours. Hope they didn't screw my turbo up. I'll let you know when I get the car started. as far as warranty goes I'm not sure if there was one.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Clown
I had my turbo rebuilt the same week by the guy Lindsey uses. I have a garret hybrid. I remember Dave saying that there was a k26 being rebuilt as well. Must have been yours. Hope they didn't screw my turbo up. I'll let you know when I get the car started. as far as warranty goes I'm not sure if there was one.
My turbo was rebuilt in early May. When I spoke with Dave before sending the turbo in, he told me that his Garret shop didn't work on KKK turbos and that he had another shop he uses for those. It sounds like their Garret shop is the one who builds all of the LR super series turbos, so hopefully you will be safe.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My turbo was rebuilt in early May. When I spoke with Dave before sending the turbo in, he told me that his Garret shop didn't work on KKK turbos and that he had another shop he uses for those. It sounds like their Garret shop is the one who builds all of the LR super series turbos, so hopefully you will be safe.
According to his site:
"You're "guaranteed" to have the owner/operator of this business rebuild your turbo personally."

My personal feeling on the matter is that mistakes are made by everyone and that can be forgiven as long as they make it right. 200 mile on a turbo and it breaks is unacceptable. Hell for that you could have gotten an Ebay turbo
Old 09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carlege
My personal feeling on the matter is that mistakes are made by everyone and that can be forgiven as long as they make it right. 200 mile on a turbo and it breaks is unacceptable. Hell for that you could have gotten an Ebay turbo
Good point, I'm not trying to say that the KKK shop is bad, I'm sure there is no way to figure out what happened to the turbo exactly at this point other than it failed. I also need to check out my oil feed line, and I will most likely add a turbo oil supply line filter to go along with whatever new turbo I get. I don't need this happening again...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

LR's reputation is great, Dave is very good at making himself available and they are almost local for you and I Matt!

Get your facts straight (meaning your inspection of course) and call him...I think you know he will be fair.

And clean that intercooler!!! And then clean it out again!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951:8869646
Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Oil at 50-70psi probably does not care if it sees a few psi of vacuum on the other side of the seals.
Good point. I'm at a loss as to why a freshly rebuilt and inspected turbo would come apart after less than 200 miles.
Hell I had it happen after one mile. It can happen
Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Hell I had it happen after one mile. It can happen
I did too (well...first night out anyway)...on a Turbo 6 Buick. Then again I didn't just complete a four year project when it happened, ugh.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Got the turbo pulled out this morning and did a close inspection. Wow. The shaft broke in the center of the housing, just slightly toward the turbine / hot side. The turbine wheel was floating in the housing clanking around. The good news is the the compressor side, while a tiny bit loose, is just fine. There may have been a tiny bit of contact with the housing, but there is no noticeable damage, so that means that no nasty bits went into my IC or intake. Whew.

Here's a video of what I found after taking the crossover and downpipe off:

This is what I saw as I took the hot side housing off:

The good news is that I called Dave Lindsey and while there is probably no way to determine exactly what happened (metal fatigue in the shaft, bearing problem, oil supply issue - I hope not!!), he is going to stand behind the rebuild without even seeing the turbo first-hand (I have a new paperweight!) and give me 75% of the rebuild cost toward a new turbo. I think that is VERY fair, considering that there is no way to know for certain exactly why the turbo came apart.

Last edited by zerMATT951; 09-15-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lindsey has been a very upstanding shop IMO. I would hesitate getting anything from them except maybe a MAF kit. haha. I'm glad it worked out okay. Are you going with a bigger turbo?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
My personal feeling on the matter is that mistakes are made by everyone and that can be forgiven as long as they make it right.
Agreed 100%.

I ran into an issue with a set of Lindsey fuel lines - one was leaking. With no way to prove they were leaking through no cause of my own, I was a little fearful when calling them. Spoke directly to Dave. He said "no problem" and offered to send me another set right away. I managed to source some braided line myself and just rebuild the line (rather than wait for a replacement) and he was willing to let me try out my fix first. If my fix still didn't work (meaning I had a bad fitting rather than just a split line) then he was game to just send me new stuff. Turned out to just be a split hose, damaged when it was initially put together. Putting in a fresh chunk of braided hose I had kicking around solved it.

No fuss, no muss, no hassle. If only every vendor was this easy to deal with when it comes to problems!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Got the turbo pulled out this morning and did a close inspection. Wow. The shaft broke in the center of the housing, just slightly toward the turbine / hot side. The turbine wheel was floating in the housing clanking around. The good news is the the compressor side, while a tiny bit loose, is just fine. There may have been a tiny bit of contact with the housing, but there is no noticeable damage, so that means that no nasty bits went into my IC or intake. Whew.

Here's a video of what I found after taking the crossover and downpipe off:

The good news is that I called Dave Lindsey and while there is probably no way to determine exactly what happened (metal fatigue in the shaft, bearing problem, oil supply issue - I hope not!!), he is going to stand behind the rebuild without even seeing the turbo first-hand (I have a new paperweight!) and give me 75% of the rebuild cost toward a new turbo. I think that is VERY fair, considering that there is no way to know for certain exactly why the turbo came apart.
Wow that's a pretty wicked failure.

Honestly I wouldn't have even taken it apart. I would have just sent it straight to them for inspection. Or at least called them first before taking it apart.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Turbo upgrade

Quick Reply: Something blew up