Something blew up

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something blew up

After adapting the one-way valve to pull vacuum on the crank case this morning with good results, I took the car out for a longer test drive. Things didn't go so well... I can't see the carnage, but I'm fairly certain that I have a hole in my block somewhere near the turbo. Lots of smoke coming out, and a small drip of oil. Waiting on the side of the road for a wrecker as I type.

I was passing a truck in 3rd or 4th gear at about 5,000 rpm and 15 psi of boost when it let go. Felt like fuel cut and lost power, boost dropped to below 0, can't remember what oil pressure was at the moment because I quickly turned it off and coasted to a stop.

So here's the strange part... after looking the motor over from the top and seeing no obvious damage and no major oil leaks, I figured I'd crank it up and see what oil pressure looks like. The motor is warm, and it jumped right up to 4.5 bar or so. The bad noise I hear sounds like it may be the turbo itself... like a spinning/scraping noise that sounds like a warn out bearing that KEEPS SPINNING for a few seconds after I turn the motor off.

Is there a chance that this could this be just a turbo issue? I'll know more when I can crawl underneath it and take a look.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It may not be a huge deal, more than once I thought I had catastrophic engine damage after similar situations.T Each time it ended up being no big deal. Get it home, don't stress, and figure out what happened. If its the turbo, no big deal.. upgrade time. Your oil pressure is good and based on your post it seems like you didn't do much diagnostic. Could be no big deal, something as simple as an AOS issue
:
Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I'm so sorry to hear that, Matt! If there's any way I can be of help, don't hesitate to ask!

Based upon the fact that it started up again and you had oil pressure, I would say it's almost impossible that you have a hole in the block... as far as I know, the only thing that can cause a hole in the block is a rod, and if you threw a rod, there would be no chance for the engine to start and run.

It really sounds like a turbo problem... perhaps a foreign object made it's way into the turbo? You said that the turbo was just rebuilt, right?

You'll get it figured out!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I'd check for BIG boost leaks from the turbo to IC to TB. Even though it sounds like a "hard" turbo problem.... Good luck!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Clown
Instructor

I hope its not related to the custom PCV valve setup you just installed. Did you ever install the one way check valve? Keep us posted. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry man!

Turbo compressor nut back off? I hope not.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.

In your "Smoke at idle" thread I was about to ask if you monitored the vacuum range you were seeing with the PCV.
I hope I'm wrong but I'm wondering if you were not seeing too much vacuum, meaning possible excessive oil drain from turbo bearings?
Just thinking out loud here, I have no clue if such a situation can actually take place.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I'm sure your stomach dropped...hope you don't find too much wrong. Bummer.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck..that's a nerve wrecking feeling...GL getting it sorted...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of warranty does Dave Lindsay give on his rebuilds?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was working on my mothers Saab 9-5 Turbo (I think I replaced the termostat) I left one screw loose on a boost tube. When I took the car out for a test drive it was fine for 10 minutes, then the first time I got on it I heard a loud BOOM and lost power. Scared the hell out of me. Pulled off on the side of the road, 10 minutes poking around under the hood (I didn't know anything about turbos back then) and I found it, car started right back up and I was on my way.

Hopefully your situation is similar and you just popped a hose somewhere. Otherwise, I agree, it sounds turbo related.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like there is either a big vacuum leak like Tedro said, or the turbo for some reason has blown. I like Thom's reasoning for a possible turbo failure. Although there could just be some oil dripping out of an IC pipe that blew off. It sounds pretty crazy when one of those baby's blow off, and under boost pressure, there may have been oil going through there and hence the drip.

Look at the bright side... Or look at the dark side... Your choice
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I'd check for BIG boost leaks from the turbo to IC to TB. Even though it sounds like a "hard" turbo problem.... Good luck!
I'm kinda leaning this way too. Lose a boost hose and it can do so with a big BANG!

Happened to me just this past weekend at an autocross. Hose at the TB let go right after I started my run... I was right in the thick of boost and power in 1st gear. Big BANG, followed by a big loss of power... and then due to the way the hose came off and lodged itself against the throttle cable bracket, my throttle pedal was stuck to the floor.

The corner workers all thought I blew it up, the BANG! was so loud.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've pulled everything out to get to the turbo so far and examined as much as I can without pulling the turbo itself. I don't see any catastrophic damage to the block, oil pan, or gasket, and the highest point that I see oil is at the top of the turbo mount bolts (the small exposed ends). There is significant side-to-side shaft play, and I can see slight traces of the compressor wheel contacting the housing. This evidence leads me to believe the issue is isolated to the turbo itself.

Thom, I agree that this may be related to my new "PCV" setup. I am wondering if my wide open 1/2" hose drawing vacuum through the crankcase at full throttle via the MAF tree pipe / turbo inlet could have been pulling too much oil OUT of the turbo, now allowing proper lubrication?? The factory AOS had a small nipple with something like a 1/4 or 3/8 hole, it's possible that restriction was to prevent an issue like this I suppose.

I will pull the turbo in the morning and see what it looks like, but so far, I don't think there are any external problems with it. Probably blown seals and wasted bearings (or whatever is in there).
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Oil at 50-70psi probably does not care if it sees a few psi of vacuum on the other side of the seals.

Quick Reply: Something blew up