Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who has upgraded to new Vitesse MAP software?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
You think my I/C needs cleaning after 40k miles? I suppose it could. I'm sure it would help most to just ditch the whole "stealth" setup, but I'm not ready to do that.
I do! and please don't give up the stealth setup!

$750-$850 You could get 20-35 more whp from a new camshaft instead of 100-300 rpm quicker spool
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,
My car is a stelth set up as well. I love the look. I understand that there is some loss because of this but things can be done.

I hollowed out my air box, enlarged my air box cold air intake tube, went to Lindsay racing IC rubber tubes and run a K & N air filter. It looks all stock except the Vitesse MAF which is hidden unter the IC pipes.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Doesn't everyone want faster spool? I live at 7000+ feet so I'm sure that makes it worse. I don't know of a turbo that will spool significantly faster and give me as much power- maybe a gt3076R but that would be a last resort as would be head work or 3L. How does a dual system work?
Kevin I live at 9100' and have the stage 3 setup, w/ VRT8x and V-FLEX+, w/ the same supporting mods as you have in your sig. I'll say first I don't have experience with the older MAF setup. However, I ran the car for a few days w/ the V-FLEX chip/board images off, felt fairly stock in the low RPMs (pre boost), but w/ some of the other V-FLEX images I felt a very nice increase in the low RPMs. As you know, first hand, an 8:1 compression ratio at this altitude can be embarrassing from a stop, so it was a nice surprise to get this from the V-FLEX.

I've had 4 track days with this setup as well, super stable AFR at all RPMs and boost levels. Tons of great extras with this setup too I would recommend. Are you in CO by any chance?

Taylor
Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Jason,
My car is a stelth set up as well. I love the look. I understand that there is some loss because of this but things can be done.

I hollowed out my air box, enlarged my air box cold air intake tube, went to Lindsay racing IC rubber tubes and run a K & N air filter. It looks all stock except the Vitesse MAF which is hidden unter the IC pipes.
I'd be intersted to see some pictures of what you did to your airbox and snorkel. Here is what I did-

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html

Then this-
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...pipe-mods.html

Originally Posted by Tay-Tay
Kevin I live at 9100' and have the stage 3 setup, w/ VRT8x and V-FLEX+, w/ the same supporting mods as you have in your sig. I'll say first I don't have experience with the older MAF setup. However, I ran the car for a few days w/ the V-FLEX chip/board images off, felt fairly stock in the low RPMs (pre boost), but w/ some of the other V-FLEX images I felt a very nice increase in the low RPMs. As you know, first hand, an 8:1 compression ratio at this altitude can be embarrassing from a stop, so it was a nice surprise to get this from the V-FLEX.

I've had 4 track days with this setup as well, super stable AFR at all RPMs and boost levels. Tons of great extras with this setup too I would recommend. Are you in CO by any chance?

Taylor
That's good to hear. How long did it take you to fine tune and what features are you using on the SMT8? I live in Flagstaff BTW.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I remember seeing your MAF set up now. Very Nice. Your conversion is on my to do down the road list.
Love your car. Keep it stock looking. I really do not think that you are loosing much power. I want to dyno my car this spring and plan on running it with the stelth set up then see what it will do in the regular Vitesse filter set up.

I am not quite as anemic as you and Taylor here in Utah, but I am at 4500 feet and feel your pain before spool up.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

That's good to hear. How long did it take you to fine tune and what features are you using on the SMT8? I live in Flagstaff BTW.
It took me a couple days working with the software to get 80% there, and about 20 minutes talking with John on the phone to get what I needed to feel comfortable with the commonly used features. From there I've created several maps depending on what I'm doing with the car, i.e. track or street and what fuel's available. I think it would take a very long time to master the software, there's just so much you can do with this.

As for features I use, maps based on engine temp, TPS, RPM, and of course boost. You can choose to add a fuel multiplier when on boost, you can have a different multiplier at different boost levels, this helps with spool too IIRC. Engine protection - over boost, rev limiter, and engine temp are the ones I use currently. Data logging was helpful for tuning. A big feature i haven't set up yet is using my WB o2 with the VRT8, next on my list.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Taylor
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Lots of good info here. I'll add be $.02 here.
The V-FLEX is the DME software we released back in 2007. For the first time, it introduced actual boost to the DME. The V-FLEX incorporates a MAP sensor, it it independent of which PB you use. Actually you do not need a PB as the software handles ignition and fuel all by itself.
The V-FLEX allowed the user to set overboost, rev-limits and overheat protection. The user would define these values via the PiggyBack which interfaced to the DME. (Of course, the PB did many other things).
In 2011 we introduced the V-FLEX+ and later renamed it V-MAF+. The V-MAF+ is the latest 951 software. It incorporates the V-FLEX features and adds a few more. One of which is user error notification in case of a MAP sensor failure. In the initial V-FLEX, many users could not tell that the MAP sensor was disconnected or damaged and were running in Limp mode without knowing it. With the V-MAF+ we added user notification in the form of a hiccup at 2 distinct RPMs. We also added MAP sensor fault recovery, where the software is constantly checking if the MAP senor recovery.
The V-MAF+ included many features needed by track guys and racers. There is a substantial performance increase and enhanced reliability between the original V-FLEX and teh V-MAF+.
The V-FLEX was a option, however this is no longer the case. Now when ordering the base MAF kit, you automatically get the V-MAF+ and all its features.

As far as Piggybacks, there is the SMT6 based one and now the SMT8. The SMT6 allows the user to alter AFRs based on boost, however it is not a straight forward process. It can be done, but not without a few tricks. Boost control was also handled with the SMT6.. It is very flexible!! In one application, I configured the electronic boost to operate manually, the same as with a Manual Boost controller, via a ****.. Most people use the laptop to set 2 boost profiles and switch between them. Some need more flexibility and it is possible.
The SMT8 offers many new features. It allows the user to alter AFRs based on RPM/LOAD (same as SMT6), but also allows the user to factor in Engine Temp, Air Temp and Boost. Giving you more flexibility and control. Boost control via the SMT6 is much simpler to setup than the SMT6. You basically set your target boost at a certain RPM and the unit will handle it for you. In addition, the SMT8 offers new features such as "Engine Protection".

The SMT8 can be wired and configured to alter ignition. We now have a proprietary module to allow the SMT6 to do the same. Over the last 10 years, only a handful of customers "needed" ignition control, for now I'm just allowing ignition retard. Advancing ignition is too dangerous as a simple mistake can destroy a engine, therefore I will keep this feature locked.

In summary, you will gain performance when going from the old std. MAF to the recent V-MAF+. You do not need a PB to run the V-MAF+, however the PB is needed to set the overboost, rev-limit,...
The SMT8 allows you to set complex fault conditions, while the SMT6 did not.

Hope this answers some of the questions. Let me know if I need to elaborate further.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the repy John and everyone else. John, would the SMT6 that I have be able to control my current (Profec) solenoid through the new software?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kevin, I'm not familiar with the Profec Solenoid. We use a very unique solenoid that is built to specific requirements.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

It looks like this one made by MAC-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boost-Contro...4cfb2b1e53Does
Does your conversion kit come with a valve?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

It looks like this one made by MAC-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boost-Contro...4cfb2b1e53Does
Does your conversion kit come with a valve?
It looks exactly like that one.

Pretty sure Haltech sells it too.

http://www.haltech.com/index.php/pro...ut-controllers
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Yes Jim, I think it's just a customized (boost control optimized) version of their old poppet valve.

John, another big question. It's been a while since I hooked up the PB and I don't remember the input wiring very well.

Can I wire it to log Boost, AFR, and Knock Counts at the same time? If not can the newer one do that? If I could see those 3 values in each cell, it seems like it would be much faster and easier to fine tune.
Kevin
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kevin, Even though the solenoids look exactly the same, it does not mean they have the same characteristics. Check out the manufacturer specs and it will be obvious. Using the incorrect solenoid will yield unknown results and can damage the PB.

Either PB can log boost and AFRs..

As far as tuning, I'm about to release a application I developed to assist in the fine tuning. It'll indicate which cells should be increased or decreased to get the target AFRs. For now it is setup for the new PB, if I get the time I may expand the code to handle the older PB.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

I have the Vitesse Maf and SMT 6. John at Vitesse is super helpful and my car is stupid fast. I have a lot of other work too but it all came together once the MAF and SMT 6 was installed. I highly recommend going with that product.

Quick Reply: Who has upgraded to new Vitesse MAP software?